NaNo 2012 -- Anyone joining in this year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm
I have tried NaNo a few times... and I have always, failed! XD I think the furthest I have gotten is 5k.

My problem is that I really like to think up characters, but only have a vague idea about their world and where I want to go with the story. It does not help that something has always come up that steals most of my time.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 pm
Weird ... usually I have an idea of what I want to do with the story very shortly after I get the characters.

If the story I'm hoping to write works well, it ought to be awesome. Of course, if I do it poorly, it's going to be horrible. It's all about the execution.

I'm planning to write a story in which my author is a character in the same world as the characters that she writes about, and they find out about her. I'm planning to reference the first two stories that the author has already written and had published constantly, but I have no plans to ever write them. I know the basics of what happens in both of them, which ought to be enough.

That's been done a dozen times or so. I'm hoping the particulars of my story are different enough to make it interesting. Though it'd help if I had particulars ... still not sure about this winging it business and what exactly I am going to end up with. It won't be the first time I've written a story with little more than a vague idea at the beginning of it. Just not sure what it's going to look like when it's done and how on earth I am going to fill in those middle pages.

I also have a character/type of character (not sure if it's one or a group) that I know is important, but haven't really figured out what they're actually there for. Need to work on that too.

I tend to create new characters and throw them into the mix, and then they become very interesting and warp the story to their own purposes. I've done that more than once, and each time I've enjoyed the direction that things go in.

~

If you want help on trying to come up with a plot idea for your story to move it along Riley, I'd be happy to help.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:40 pm
Seven and a half hours until NaNo for my part of the world!
I'm not sure if I'm going to start at 12:00:01am or not. I do like my sleep and I have been feeling less than well lately. It all depends on what I doing at that time I suppose.

Thanks, WildFae! I'll see how it goes once I start writing and if I get stuck, there is a good chance I might post a thread here asking for brainstorming ideas. No promises though, as I am probably a bit overprotective of my writings, lol ^^;; But I really love these characters and I would love to see their story finished, so I might post a vague synopses Very Happy
Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:12 am
NaNo begins! Not that I've started yet, but I will tonight. Goal of 2,000 words or more -- if more, whenver I get stuck will be the end of it.

About characters -- in my experience, writing things out is actually the majority of the work. Ideas can be done well or poorly, and two people can take the same idea and write it very differently. Thus, generally I worry less about people stealing my characters.

If you want to do stuff via pm's though, I'm good with that.

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Yay for the first day of Nano!

I wanted to start right at midnight...but then, it was really hard to think of how to start. So after procrastinating a bit I wrote a little less than 200 words and went to bed. Earlier today I then got it up to over 800. I'm hoping to reach at least 1667 before today ends...but it feels so hard for me to write. I guess I just have to get through the boring introductory/setting up the book part then hopefully I'll get to the good stuff soon.
Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 pm
I almost forgot about this. I have several stories running around in my head. I did attempt a short story on my own, a few years ago. I haven't done one like that since. Im use to planning things out but I did enjoyed trying to create a story. Unfortunately I started writing on the last day of the event. If i can find some time between my school work I might try writhing again.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:11 am
Woot! First day of NaNo!

I wrote about 1800 words tonight, whoohoo!
I'm excited to be working with these characters again!

Also, that NaNo moment where you need a name for a character and spend thirty minutes googling names, before you settle on one and are still not happy with it thunk

But, I found a name at last!
Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:00 am
For day one I got about 2,000 words in. I think I have an idea of how the plot is going to go now, other than the beginning and the end. Yay for beginning to figure out the middle!

I still need to name one of my characters. Embarassed I may just go back and add her name in later. Or go with a nickname.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:39 pm
I just read a tip from one of my friends on Facebook about needing character names. She said if you need a name for the Main Female Role, you can use MFR until you find a name, lol

I found a temporary name yesterday and just continued to write. Then the name I wanted to use came to me in the middle of writing and it was an easy find->replace fix XD

On that note, I'm off to NaNo!
Happy NaNo-ing everyone!
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 pm
I have problems with Names too. I decided that I'm just going to use a random name generator for now and choose names I like best from the list. And then if I still don't like certain names I'll replace them later.

I'm pretty behind on my day 2 word count though. I was proud of myself yesterday for getting my allotted words...but today I feel so meh. Ah well, gotta force myself to write!
Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 pm
Yay! Participants!

I didn't do any writing yesterday, for day 2 of NaNo. I'm going to try and get two day's worth of writing in today. Not quite sure how well that will go, but it's worth a go. Maybe I can make 3k today and tomorrow?

MFR isn't a bad idea for a name replacement. I think I have an idea for my writer's name. I'm just going to run with using a pseudonym, rather than her real name. In the story there's a reason for it. I think I'm going to avoid using her real name altogether.

I am entertained that I hadn't chosen a name for my writer character. She's pretty central to the story. Not sure she's the main female character as there is another protagonist and antagonist that are pretty important.

I have a bad habit of choosing almost all male leads in my stories. I'm pleased to say that this time around of my four main characters only one is male.

totals:
Day 1 word count: 2039
Day 2 word count: 2039 (no work. ach.)
Day 3 word count: ----

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:53 pm
I spent all of Sunday studying for Microbiology and I just did a bit of NaNo-ing. I'm about a day behind now but I'm not too worried about it. I know where I'm going with the story now, I have an overall plot and it's coming along nicely :3
Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 am
I've been doing pretty good so far with keeping on schedule, except for yesterday when I waited too long to write and ended up only writing about half I should Crying or Very sad

So today I have to finish writing about 2k to get to my goal. It's not too much more so I hope I can get back on track.

Here's my month progress graph thingy:

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:24 am
I don't understand how people can do this XD
Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:03 pm
Embarassed I'm not even close to doing it. Kinda gave up. The story I wanted to write is just ... I keep thinking it's horrible and that I don't want to write it.

I was hoping it would come across as smart and intelligent but I don't like it much. It just reads as weird and unlikable to me. Which is disappointing.

I don't know if I want to try and finish the story or if I want to go back to writing things that I like. If I set the NaNo story aside and do something else, it wouldn't be a new NaNo. Just regular stuff.
Page 2 of 4