Meldrick's Tales, Chapter 11, "Eternal Friends"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:07 am
Chapter 11 Eternal Friends

Sitting on his perch on the low, stone wall near Edingtol’s Gates, he smiled at the sounds of the children’s laughter at celebrating All Hallow’s Eve. He was glad that the city had adopted the fairly new tradition of ‘trick or treating’ and that even the adults had gotten into the ‘spirit’ of the event.

He had made little packets of rock candy and gave them to anyone who ventured near him saying “Trick or Treat!” He jokingly told a few that he would rather have the ‘tricks’ and all who heard laughed as no one had really been prepared to ‘trick’ the wizened, old Elf.

One little boy came up to Meldrick and asked, “Did they do trick or treating when you were young, Sir Meldrick?”

Meldrick smiled as he handed the lad a bag of rock candy, “When I was young it was still called the “Festival of the Dead”, and it was a more scary time of ghosties and ghoulies and things that went bump in the night.”

A few of the children had heard and gathered around Meldrick, “Oh please, Meldrick tell us of ghosties and such.”

Meldrick smiled because both he and the children knew that he could not resist a good story.

“Well. . . let’s see. . .I was about 12 years old. . .”

---------------------------------------------

Meldrick had left the celebration for the “Festival of the Dead”, with Mother Marla’s permission of course, and traveled into the wooded area outside of Alorna. Watching the adults parade around to solemn music and dressed as the dead was not his idea of a celebration.

He smiled as he found his way down a small path that led to a babbling brook. The moonlight played across the rocks in the small stream, giving them a diamond-like shine. Finding himself a seat on a large slanting rock, Meldrick sat there throwing stones into the water.

As he reached over to the bank to pick up a few more stones, another stone plopped in the water. Meldrick sat up looking for the source of the stone when another plopped in the water near him.

“Who’s there?” He looked about trying to see when he heard soft giggling. He smiled at the sound as it sounded like wind chimes tinkling in a soft breeze.

He was about to ask the person to show themselves, when a young girl with the reddest hair he had ever seen, stepped out from behind a nearby bushes “You should have seen the look on your face, when my first stone hit.” She giggled again, “My name is Celene, what’s yours?”

Meldrick stood up and faced her, “I am Meldrick of the Gypsy Elves. It’s a pleasure to meet you Celene. . . and that first rock caught me by surprise as I thought I was the only one out here.” He looked at her, “Why aren’t you at the ‘Festival of the Dead’?”

She looked at him and smiled, “I could ask you the same thing.” She giggled again, “I never go, there is just something about it that makes me sad.” She said as she moved closer to him.

He smiled as she was very cute and made him feel happy that she was there with him. He nodded and sat back down on the rock and motioned for her to sit too. Which she gladly did.

They sat there and talked and laughed and tossed rocks and told each other stories. Meldrick had not laughed and smiled so much.

Celene looked up at the moon, “It’s time I get headed home.”

Meldrick looked at her as she stood and smiled, “Do you mind if I walk with you, I probably should be heading back to.”

She smiled and took his hand, “I would like that Meldrick .”

He smiled as she took his hand, it felt a little cold, but her smile and innocence warmed his heart as they walked through the woods, away from the babbling brook.

It had been a pleasant walk filled with Celene asking Meldrick about his many adventures and as they reached the small cottage, the skies opened up and the rain poured down. They ran the last couple of feet to the door.

Entering the cottage, Meldrick smiled and laughed as he looked around the interior. The room was softly it by candles and the fire in the hearth made the room pleasantly warm.

Celene laughed and gently squeezed his hand, “Oh where are my manners, let me get you some tea.” She left his side and put a tea pot on the fire as Meldrick move closer to the warmth of it and sat on the floor.

Celene looked to him and smiled and then came and sat beside him, holding his hand and watching the fire.

“Where are your parents?” He looked about and smiled as she held his hand.

“They went into town for the celebration; they will be back in the morning.”

Lightning cracked and thunder peeled and they talked and drank tea and ate sweet biscuits. Telling each other stories and singing and laughing. Meldrick yawned and then Celene yawned and they both laughed and looked to the window. It was still storming outside.

“Perhaps you should stay until morning, hopefully the storm will ease up by then.” Celene looked at him.

He smiled and nodded, “That sounds like a good idea, Celene.” She smiled and got up and went to the closet, bringing back a comforter, blankets and pillows and laid them out on the floor in front of the fire.

While she made the bed, Meldrick went about the room blowing out the candles, so that the only light in the room came from the fire in the hearth. He removed his shoes and jacket and crawled into the warmth of the comforter.

She smiled as she removed her shoes and joined him. As they lay there, side-by-side, Meldrick couldn’t help but smile. He could not believe how quickly their friendship had grown.

She smiled again as she looked at him in the firelight. “Thank you for staying with me, without you being here I would have been scared to death of the lightning and thunder.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek then lay her head on his chest and fell fast asleep.

Meldrick lay there for a moment as he wrapped his arm around her, his fingers playing in her hair. “I am glad I met you Celene.” He smiled as he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

------------------------------------

Meldrick could hear the confusion as the children looked at each other wondering how the story had anything to do with ghosties and stuff.

He wiped a tear from his eyes and continued. “When I woke up, Celene was gone and her beautiful little cottage had become a burned out shell of itself. Instead of blankets, my jacket was covering me. Needless to say I was confused and had wondered what had happened, putting my coat on I reached in the pocket and pulled out this.”

Meldrick pulled out small leather pouch with the letters “C. D.L.” on it. He opened it so that the children could see the lock of red hair inside.

“As I walked back towards town I ran into an old couple and I asked about Celene and they looked at me and their eyes widened at the sight of the leather pouch.”

They explained that they had had a daughter, Celene De Luna, who had died 20 years before, in a fire, while they were out celebrating the ‘Festival of the Dead” and that I was not the first who said they saw her, but I was the first that ever had proof that they saw her.

The children got up and hugged Meldrick and thanked him for telling them about Celene. All but one. As she moved closer to Meldrick he smiled.

“I wondered if I was going to ‘see’ you tonight Celene.” Meldrick smiled more broadly.

The little red-headed girl giggled in that sweet, wind-chime sound as she stepped up and hugged him, “You know I never miss a ‘Festival of the Dead’, Meldrick, it is the only time I can see you and I must say, I like this ‘trick or treating’.” She smiled and kissed his cheek and took his hand and lightly squeezed it.

Sit back and I'll tell you tales of Faeries and dragons.
Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 pm
Yuni sighed softly as she listened to the end of the story. "Sir Meldrick, once again thy tale has enchanted us all."
She smiled, rising to go back to her business. "Thank thee for the tale, milord," she said quietly, in passing. "Thy little friend Celene sounds like a precious child, whether spirit or no. Thou art lucky to know her."

With that, the Drow walked back into the city, silently disappearing in the midst of the trick-or-treating crowd.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:38 am
The small Jamr flutters towards the gates and stops to hear the tale. Though she is older then she looks she does enjoy the tales of Meldrick just as mmuch as the kids. After listening to the tale she waits patiently for all to leave before approaching. Gently laying a had on his shoulder she then smiles.

"Sir Meldrick you are truly an adventurous elf. I see now how lucky it is that Zantarni has you in our midst. I hope that one day you will feel comfortable to reavel all to us. Your storytelling is beyond anyone's capabilities we could ever have. I must say that if they ever did have a story telling contest then you would win hands *Goliath emits a almost inaudible growl* paws, and claws down." the small Jamr syas to him.

She slowly leans in and gently hugs him before giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. She then departs to the forest to partake in the festivities by the dragons. All the while wondering if the legend she had heard was true and weather she should share all with Zantarni.

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm
Meldrick smiles as he gently plays with the small leather pouch, "I am glad you both like the Tale and Celene really is a precious child and a friend forever."

Yoari

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:05 am
What a cute story Meldrick!
At least she visits every year eh?

CLICK DA PETS
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:08 am
Meldrick nods, "Yes, she has visited me every year since that first All Hallows Eve."

Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:20 am
She smiles at the Elder and the child, her eyes cataract and almost blind, but she can still see the spirit. She slipped her thumbs into the belt and leaned against a nearby tree, wondering if perhaps there would be more.

14 of 224 Snowflakes
Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 pm
Her eyes linger on a spot just beside Sir Meldrick, not truly seeing the young girl that was seated there. Snow blinked slowly as she continued to stare at the odd spot. 'A feeling,' she concluded in her thoughts. 'A feeling of death... and yet, happiness.'

Turning to Sir Meldrick, she gave a shy curtsy before smiling sweetly and commenting, "You're little friend appears to be a darling girl. I am truly happy you are able to reunite every All Hallow's Eve. Your stories, as well, never cease to amaze me."

Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm
Meldrick smiles, "Celene is a very good friend and we have shared many a All Hallow's Eve. . .and I am sure we will share many more." He softly blushes, "I am glad you like my tales, Milady."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1