Meldrick's Tales, Chapter 1, There Be Dragons Here . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:24 am
Meldrick stands before the gathered people, smiling, "I have decided to start posting my stories here as so many have been asking about them. They are just simple stories and I am not looking for criticism as they are just the things I have experienced in my life. I apologize in advance if my style or delivery is a little off, as I usually just tell stories."

He bowed and continued, "I also would like to thank the artist of this beautiful picture, Lady Frostyflakes. Her picture helped to inspire me to jot down this story. I hope you enjoy it."

Chapter 1
"There be Dragons here....."

"Sit back and I'll tell you a story of dragons. . ."

Meldrick leaned back against the apple tree as a small crowd had gathered. He smiled though he couldn't see them; he could feel their faces turn to him as he pulled an apple out of his bag and took a big bite out of it, savoring the crispness and sweetness of it.

"But not like any other dragons you may have heard of in the stories of old. . ."

He awaited the crowd's reaction and smiled again as he caught a few of their 'oohs' and 'ahhhs'. 'Seeing' as he now had their attention, he set the apple down.

"The story begins many years ago in the swamps around Stonegate. . ."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The young man had wandered away from the caravan, as he had been known to do from time to time. The thing he really liked about being a gypsy was that he traveled around and was able to see things and places that others only dreamed about.

It was early in the morning and the swamp was alive with insect life; buzzing and flitting about. The boy smiled as he found a place to sit on a large rock near the edge of the water. He always enjoyed being alone and watching the living things around him.

He was able to see a group of flies buzzing around the carcass of a long dead animal and mosquitoes moving about in a pack laying their eggs in the warm waters of the shallows. Then, out of the corner of his eye, the boy saw movement amongst the reeds near him.

A large crane had seemed to have found some sort of prey as he hopped about and poked with his long beak. The boy chuckled as the crane seemed to be getting frustrated as whatever he was trying to capture was doing a good job of avoiding the crane's attacks. The crane darted this way and that, turning and cocking its head and trying to get at whatever it was that had his attention.

The boy softly chuckled as the crane's movements were almost dance-like. . . 'Like a tango', the boy thought.

Just then, he saw a flash of red and the glistening of wings. Smiling as he thought he recognized what the prey of this crane was . . . it appeared to be a large dragonfly. Its clear, red wing flicked and flashed in the reeds as the crane moved closer to the dragonfly, the boy saw something he had never expected. . . a puff of flames and smoke flew forth from the dragonfly's 'mouth'. The crane squawked in surprise and pain and turned away from the dragonfly, taking flight to escape this prey-turned-hunter.

Standing up to get a better look at this 'dragonfly', the boy had never seen anything like this before, nor had he heard any tales of such a thing. He waited to see if the dragonfly was going to fly away, so that he could get a better look at it.

Since it didn't take off, he cautiously approached the spot in the reeds where the epic battle took place. as he neared the spot he saw movement and a flash of red again, as he realized that what he was looking at was no mere dragonfly. . .it was a dragonfly dragon. . .a miniature dragon with dragonfly-like wings and body.

Leaning down cautiously, he could tell that the dragon was injured as one of its wings seemed to have a tear in it. Not sure if the dragon understood him or not, he showed his open hands as he knelt near it.

"You're hurt little one, perhaps I can help you?"

The dragon looked at him warily and hissed, showing his mouth full of tiny razor sharp teeth.

"I mean you no harm, little one." the boy said as he set his open hand next to the dragon. The dragonfly dragon seemed to sniff at his hand and then looked the boy in the eye as he slowly stepped into the boy's hand. The boy smiled as the tiny feet of the dragon tickled his palm.

The boy lifted the little dragon to his face to try to get a better look at the injury. The dragonfly dragon seemed to sense what the boy was trying to do as he gently spread the wing showing the extent of the tear in the gossamer material of the wing.

The boy then gently set the dragonfly dragon down on the rock where he had witnessed the crane's attack. He then took off his small backpack and rummaged through it to see if there was something he could use to at least temporarily repair the dragon's wing. Checking his small first aid kit, and finding nothing truly suitable, he moved to his art supplies, something he always carried with him. He smiled as he found some very light tissue paper and some mucilage.

Turning back to the dragonfly dragon, he carefully tore the paper so that the patch was just a bit larger than the torn section of wing. He then lightly applied the mucilage to the tissue and then lightly attached the patch to the dragon's wing. "I hope this works, now try not to move your wing until it has had a chance to dry, little one."

The little dragon seemed to understand as he kept his wing straight. As the dragon lay there, the boy took the opportunity to examine this strange little creature. The wings a gossamer red, with black veins; the body dragonfly-like, but with four legs instead of six; the head was pure dragon with two fan-like ears; its eyes hawk like and its mouth full of tiny razor sharp teeth (as he had already seen). It was truly a beautiful sight to behold.

As the dragonfly dragon rested, the boy looked over the swamp, wondering if there were more of these little dragons out there or if this one was the only one of its kind.

He had almost closed his eyes to rest when he saw movement in the reeds again. Sitting up he looked over to see something flying in and out of the reeds and calling in a sweet voice.

“Fendril….Fendril…where are you Fendril?”

The dragonfly dragon stirred and turned to look towards the reeds letting out a high-pitched whistle that surprised the boy, who jumped then smiled, “So your name is Fendril, is it?”

The dragon looked up at him recognizing his name now being said by his rescuer, just as the small faerie landed by Fendril, “Oh my sweet Fendril, you’ve been hurt.” Ignoring the boy, she examined the wound and the repair that he had made to the injured wing. Smiling and nodding, she turned to the boy, “You have done a good job mending my friend, and can you tell me what happened? How did he get hurt?”

Boy stared at the faerie, she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen; her short red hair and green eyes and gossamer wings giving her more the look of an angel than that of a faerie. Realizing he had been staring and that she had been talking to him, the boy lightly blushed, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to stare but you are just so beautiful and the dragonfly dragon. . . Fendril, you called him . . . was attacked by a crane . . . that is till the dragon breathed fire at the bird.” He paused as he again looked at her green eyes. “There is a tiny tear in the clear, red fabric of his wing. I used some paper and glue hoping that it will help him to heal.”

The faerie smiled and nodded, “The patch you made should work well, I would have done something similar to that.” She softly caressed the muzzle of the dragonfly dragon as she talked to the boy.

Fendril stood and gently flexed his wings and she smiled again.

“We must be off,” she said as she flew up to hover in front of the boy, softly rubbing the tip of her nose against his. “But I have a feeling our paths will meet again.” The dragonfly dragon, gently flapped its wings and slowly rose, turning to face the boy as the faerie flitted to him and mounted him just ahead of his wings.

“I am Loriel, may I ask the name of Fendril’s rescuer?” she smiled a sweet smile.

The boy looked at her and smiled back, “I am Meldrick.”

She bowed her head, “Many thanks young Meldrick. Until we meet again.” Fendril turned and off they flew in the direction of the deepest part of the swamp.

Young Meldrick watched them flying away, wondering if anyone would ever believe his story; then chuckling, he realized he didn’t care if anyone did. “Adieu, Loriel and Fendril, till we meet again.”

- - - - - - - - - -

Meldrick smiled as he finished the story, picking up the apple and taking another bite of it as a single tear glistened down his cheek.

Sit back and I'll tell you tales of Faeries and dragons.

Last edited by Meldrick the Elder on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

HH

HH
Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:10 pm
*Smiles at Sir Meldrick*

I love that you have decided to share your stories for the rest of Zantarni's citizens to hear. Your tales of adventures are really quite wonderful Smile

Last edited by HH on Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:40 pm
That was a beautiful story Sir Meldrick. I loved it and am looking forward to the many other tales you will tell.

And I agree with HH, Im glad you decided to share these stories, they are truly something to read. ^^

Thank you for all the Halloween greetings!! I love them all and am proudly showing them off in my profile. <33
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:04 pm
Meldrick smiles and blushes at the comments, "I am glad you both love the tale."

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:39 pm
My thanks to you for sharing your story, Sir Meldrick. It is truly beautiful and magical, and I hope there will be many more to come. *bows and smiles*
Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:27 pm
I am glad to see you posted them Elder Meldrick!

Also if you would like stone or leather the pm me!

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:28 am
I am glad to finally hear one of your enchanting tales Sir Meldrick!

So I must know, did you ever meet the fairy and dragonfly dragon again?
Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am
Oh I'm so glad to hear one of your stories!
It was simply enchanting.

Who would've ever thought that ol' Meldrick had such a magical experience?
Wink

You can find me on:
EverQuest II - Xiaoshu of Tunare <New Outriders>
GaiaOnline - `CinnamonCookie
Flyff - EssenceofTunare
Mabinogi - Saisho
Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 pm
Ah, Sir Meldrick, twas a wonderful tale. It must have been a magical moment, for truly anyone that meets a fairy has some sort of magic about them!
Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:55 pm
Amurita wrote:
I am glad to finally hear one of your enchanting tales Sir Meldrick!

So I must know, did you ever meet the fairy and dragonfly dragon again?

Exactly my question of interest.....did you ever meet the fairy and dragonfly again?

Thank you for all the Halloween greetings!! I love them all and am proudly showing them off in my profile. <33
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:47 am
Meldrick smiles at the thoughts of Loriel and Fendril, "Yes, I did meet them again, but that is another story."

Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:02 am
Eeep! Cant wait for you to tell it. ^-^

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:39 am
I can't wait either! Is chapter 2 coming anytime soon, or are you taking a break first before treating us to another tale?

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:27 am
Meldrick smiles, "I am glad so many of you like my tales, I will post another chapter in a couple of days."

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm
Good to hear : D
I'm looking forward to it Yes
Page 1 of 4