Meldrick's Tale Chapter 17 - A Faerie of a Different Color
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
Meldrick the Elder

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Chapter 17 A Faerie of a Different Color – A Love Story

Meldrick was taking a break from his duties greeting newcomers at Edingtol’s Gates. He had decided to sit by the old elm tree in the middle of the nearby park. The old elf loved that spot as it allowed him to enjoy listening to those who frequent the park. . .children playing and laughing; young couples enjoying each other’s company; people playing with their pets and sunning their rare eggs. But on this day, there only seemed to be a few children about and they were talking about Brownies.

When the children spotted Meldrick, they ran to him… “Meldrick, Meldrick, have you ever met a real Brownie?” one asked; another stated, “My grandmother swears she has always had a Brownie in her kitchen, but I have never seen him when I visit her. Do you think she made it up?”

Meldrick smiled and softly chuckled, “Your grandmother is probably telling you the truth as Brownies are rather shy and secretive and unless they really know you, they may stay hidden during your visits to her home. Next time you visit, see if your grandmother will let you put out a little honey mead and sweet rolls for her Brownie each night. . .you never know he just might introduce himself to you before you leave.”

He smiled, “Now as far as me ever meeting a Brownie. . .I have met several, but the first one I met was named Angus McBruen.”

----------------------------------

Meldrick had spent the last two days in upper valleys of the Green Hills, he had heard a rumor of a rare occurrence that was to be happening in these hills. . .a Gathering of Brownies. Mother Marla had sent him off with a kiss on the cheek and a wish for him to be careful, as she always did; it was their usual send off. . .but so far this had not been one of Meldrick’s usual adventures, as he had no luck even catching a whisper of this Gathering.

As he started to climb the trail that led back to where the Caravan had made camp, the rain started to come down in buckets. On his way in to the valley, Meldrick remembered seeing an old hunter’s cabin just a short way up the trail, so he took off for it in search of shelter from the storm. He smiled as the door was not locked and finding the interior dry he felt relief. After setting down his backpack, he turned to the window of the cabin to watch the rain fall as he was feeling a little down at not being able to find the Gathering.

“Be thair someone thair?” came a faint voice from the fireplace. Meldrick turned to look at the hearth of the small cabin, moving a bit closer, still not quite sure if he actually heard the voice. “I am here, I am Meldrick of the Gypsy Elves. . .who’s there?”

There was a pause, then the voice from the fireplace spoke out again, “Meldrick of the Gypsy Elves, ye say. . .I be Angus McBruen. . .” he paused another moment, “and I be a-needin’ yer assistance. . .if possible.”

Meldrick moved to the fireplace, “Where are you, Angus? I can hear you but I can’t see you.” He placed his hand on the small mantle as he stuck his head in the hearth and looked up the chimney.

“Meldrick, ye have yer hand on me!” The elf jumped back in surprise and looked at the mantle. “I be bewitched and trapped in the wood. . .of the mantle.”

Moving to the mantle again, he gently lifted it off the pegs that held it, standing it on edge as he could make out the outline of a figure in the wood. “Angus. . .who did this to you and why?”

“Meldrick. . .” Angus sighed, “It be me rival Sheamus Malloy. . .he knew I be a-askin’ me true love, Mary Quigley, fer her hand in marriage at the Gatherin’ this night. . .” Meldrick heard a soft sob and looked at the figure in the wood.

Somehow Angus’ mentioning of the Gathering of Brownies seemed less important, as here before him was a real dilemma, a dilemma of the heart and he knew that he had to do all he could, no matter what, to assist this forlorn Brownie. “Angus, is there anything I can do to help?”

Angus waited a moment before replying, “Meldrick, if ye could be a-carryin’ me in this form to the Gatherin’, in yon valley, so that I may express me love and devotion to Mary. . .” Meldrick could tell that emotion was getting the better of Angus.

“Of course I will, Angus”, grabbing up the mantle and holding it tightly in his arms as he ran out the door and towards the valley, paying no heed to the storm that was blowing around him. He ran as fast as he could, reaching the valley in a short period of time.

“Where to now, Angus?” Meldrick asked as he stood in the middle of the valley.

“Over there, by the old tree stump in the middle of the field. . .thair be whair the Gatherin’ is to be held.” Meldrick nodded and carried the mantle to the tree stump.

“Will the other Brownies come out with me here. . .I know how much you value your privacy.” Meldrick leaned Angus against the stump, as he did another Brownie jumped out from behind the stump.

“Ye’ll be a-doin’ nothin’ Angus McBruen. . .I shoulda known ye ‘d find a way to make yer way here. . .” He blew some dust onto the mantle and Angus froze unable to speak at all. The Brownie then turned towards Meldrick, “And ye, ye Elf. . .” he said it with hatred in his voice, “I should be a-turnin’ ye to wood too, but thair be no need, as no Brownie will believe ye over the word of another Brownie.”

Meldrick looked back at the Brownie before him, not really knowing if he had any magic dust left or not, he knew that he still had to do all he could to help Angus. . .he knew that Angus loved Mary Quigley. . .and he tried to remember all he was told about Brownies.

Placing his hands on his hips, he spit on the ground beside the Brownie, “So ye must be Sheamus Malloy. . .” Meldrick sneered and looked to the mantle, “Ye be not a-knowin’ what ye be a-foolin’ with. . .” He chuckled as he noticed other Brownies starting to gather. “Ye see before ye an Elf. . .and a young one at that. . .but little do ye know that Angus McBruen, who ye trapped in yon mantle had summoned a Great Red Dragon, to assist him and to show Mary Quigley of his undying love and devotion.”

Meldrick noticed a flame-haired female Brownie moving close to the mantle as Sheamus moved closer to Meldrick. “Ye be no Great Red Dragon. . .ye be but a lyin’ young Elf. . .a-tryin’ to impugn the reputation of a Brownie.”

The female Brownie looked at the mantle and touched it, then looked to Meldrick, her big green eyes questioning what she was hearing, “Ye be a-tryin’ to tell us that this piece of wood be Angus McBruen and that Sheamus here had somethin’ to do with this enchantment?”

Meldrick looked at her and bowed, “It is so, Lady Quigley, for he told me hisself of the great love and devotion that he feels for ye. . .that this very night of the Gatherin’. . .it be his wish to ask ye to be his bride. . .” He paused a moment and turned and pointed to Sheamus, “But he would not allow it. . .fer he be jealous of the love between ye and Angus, and will do anythin’ to stop ye from a-marryin’. . .includin’ placin’ this enchantment upon him. . . to silence him.”

Mary laid her hand upon the wood of the mantle and looked from Sheamus to an elderly Brownie who had moved to stand beside Meldrick. Meldrick softly sighed and knelt to the Brownie, extending his right palm to the Elder. The Elder looked at the scar on Meldrick’s palm and lightly scratched it, then sniffed it. Meldrick kept his head down, as a sign of respect.

The Elder looked at Sheamus and then to Mary, “The Great Red Dragon be a-speakin’ the truth.”

Sheamus was stunned and Mary broke into tears as she lightly caressed the mantle, as a tear fell upon the wood a wondrous thing happened, for the mantle disappeared and Angus McBruen stood there and took Mary Quigley in his arms.

“Oh sweet Mary, young Meldrick speaks the truth, fer I love ye more than words can say and if ye will have me, I want ye fer me wife.” She smiled and hugged him tightly, “Oh yes, Angus McBruen, yes. . .” and as they kissed, the Elder touched Sheamus on the shoulder.

“Sheamus, fer what ye have done, ye shall take Angus’ place as the wooden mantle, if that be agreeable with the young Dragon.” Meldrick looked up at the Elder and then to the happy couple and smiled, “Yes Elder that is agreeable, but may I ask a favor of ye?”

The Elder looked to Meldrick, “Name it, young dragon.” Meldrick smiled and bowed his head again, “I ask that Sheamus’ imprisonment be not fer more than a year. . .or till after the birth of Angus and Mary’s firstborn. . .whichever comes first, and that he not begin his punishment till after the weddin’.”

The Elder smiled and patted Meldrick’s hand, “Very well young dragon. . .Meldrick, it shall be so. . . .”

-----------------------------------------

Meldrick smiled, “It was a lovely wedding and I believe that I may have been the first outsider to not only be allowed to witness such a ceremony, but I was allowed to participate as Angus’ Best Man.”

Meldrick paused a moment as the children turned to look at him, “As a wonderful footnote to this tale, I had the pleasure of meeting another Brownie at the abode of Lord Scarz and Lady Nema, his name is Terran McBruen. . .the grandson of Angus and Mary.”

Meldrick smiled broadly as he recalled the meeting, “After telling him this tale, he and I and his Lady, a delightfully charming, leaf-winged faerie named Jourdaine, talked long into the night.”

The old elf stood up, “Well, I must be returning to the gates, but remember, next time you visit your grandmother’s house, leave out some goodies for her Brownie, I am sure he will appreciate it.”

The boy and his friend smiled, “I will Meldrick, thank you.” And they both ran off heading back into the streets of Edingtol.

Sit back and I'll tell you tales of Faeries and dragons.
Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 am
Another wonderful tale, Sir Meldrick! Thank you for sharing it with us! ^_^

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:25 am
Meldrick smiles and slightly bows his head, "You're very welcome, Lady Tis. I'm so glad you enjoyed it."

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:30 pm
you never fail to surprise me. Your stories are wonderful

Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:20 pm
How do you manage to come up with such wonderful tales?
*looks at Meldrick the Elder in amazement
You never cease to amaze me.

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:54 am
Meldrick smiles and softly blushes, "I am so glad you both like this and my other tales..." Meldrick looks about, then whispers, "The secret is for the tales to be true, that way the tales write themselves..."
Meldrick chuckles.

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:55 pm
Marianale enters and listen to the tale with great amazement and big eyes.
"Elder Meldrick, you're a fantastic author to be a so old man!" Marianale blushes, "oops, sorry, Sir Meldrick, I get so excited, I apologize."
Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:06 am
pulls up a chair and sits down with a smile.

I hear there be a wonderful story teller among you all. I look forward to listening to the tale...

leans forward, enraptured by the words.
Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:36 pm
Does that mean that your stories are true?
hmmm..... Maybe i could meet or find a brownie someday then, don't you think so?
*with a childlike aura around her she speaks without pausing
Oopss, sorry i get very excited at times.

Knight of Zantarni
Zantarni NPC
Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:22 pm
Meldrick smiles, "Yes, my Lady, Brownies are real, but you have to coax them a little to show themselves...I have found that they truly love cakes and tea, or honey mead. . .leave it for them every night, but be patient, for they will only show themselves when they feel they can trust you."

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am
Snow steps into the room and leans against the far wall as she listens to the storyteller at work.

"How very enchanting," she muses softly as a small smile finds it's way upon her lips.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1