Making Your Own Products
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Main Hall [Nov.'19]
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:36 am
How many of you make your own products, like cleaners and health products?

It kind of seems like a lot of people I know are turning from store bought stuff and making their own cleaners, or facial washes, or shampoo. Stuff like that.

Do any of you guys do that? Do you find that it actually works as good or better than store bought stuff? Do you have a recipe for something you really like?

I don't make anything myself, but I tend to use Method or Seventh Generation products.

Just curious ^^
Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:51 am
I started to make some of my own products, I made my own laundry detergent and soap among some other stuff, I know it's a lot of effort, but it feels good to not be using so many chemicals in some of the stuff that i use..
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:03 pm
I haven't heard too much about making your own laundry detergent. Sounds interesting; how do you make yours?
Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:02 am
We use Method cleaners, too! Very Happy

And...I made homemade applesauce. Does that count?XD
Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:07 am
I make my own counter top cleaner with vinegar and water. Sometime I toss in some lemon juice too, if I'm feeling fancy about it. XD

The reason why I started doing this is because the other counter top cleaners we were using would choke me with the antiseptic, chemical scents. I would spray a counter and end up with a headache.

Now with the vinegar spray all I might get is a case of the munchies for salt and vinegar chips! XD

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:40 am
I can't say I really make alternative products but I do tend to use different products then might be expected.

I use organic coconut oil, which is usually used for cooking, as a moisturizer in the shower.

I use aloe on my face as a moisturizer but also to eliminate acne.

I have plans to make orange and clove air freshener.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:54 am
I have terrible eczema so my mother used to make soaps for me as a kid. I'd love to make some myself.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:04 am
Pagan - Have you used the bathroom cleaner one? It has a really strong smell that I find rather suffocating :/
Of course homemade applesauce counts XD I've always been meaning to do more stuff in the kitchen, I just never seem to get around to doing it.

Tis - I tend to clean my hard wood floors with vinegar and water. The so called hard wood floor cleaners I've tried all seem to make it really sticky, no matter how I dilute it.

Moon - Do you find that the coconut oil works well? I can never seem to keep my hands moisturized. Though, with how often I wash them and use alcohol sanitizer, that's to be expected I guess. I'm still searching for a way to keep my hands from drying out so much.
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm
I actually don't use it on my hands so I don't know how well it would work for that. Using it once a day in the shower has helped where it is applied as I often forget to put on lotion.

If you can stand the oily feeling then I'm sure it would work really well applied throughout the day.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:15 am
Well, I'm up for giving it a shot. I usually don't use anything throughout my shift because I'm constantly washing my hands. It might be good to use before I go to sleep, that way it has a long while to soak in.
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:27 am
I tend to slap on Vaseline with gloves if it gets bad enough. (My hands freak out in the winter.)

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:34 am
Also something I've been meaning to try. I found a pair of gloves I'm okay with using for that purpose. I'm going to leave them out to remind me when I get home tomorrow morning.
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:45 am
Now that one I can tell you will work. My hands very easily crack and bleed in the winter and doing that heals them nearly perfectly.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:46 am
Good to know, because mine are getting to that point, and it's rather painful Crying or Very sad
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:59 pm
Riley wrote:
Pagan - Have you used the bathroom cleaner one? It has a really strong smell that I find rather suffocating :/

No, we usually get one of the all purpose cleaners, and use it for everything. I've even poured a bit into some water with a bit of borax to mop the floors.
Page 1 of 2