Leilani's adventures - Mud festival!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Wordsmith's Nook [Nov.'19]
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:12 am
Leilani rummaged excitedly through her old oaken chest in the shack she chose as her home while in Edingtol.

"Wonderful!", she thought defeated. "The People of the Hoof are coming and I've nothing to wear!"

For the umpteenth time she reflected bitterly on her adventurous spirit, causing her to travel light with virtually no clothes but her tunic and armour and a few spare linens. What few pieces she had were not in good condition either. For as meticulous as she was with keeping her armour in nearly flawless condition, she was not as neat with her other clothes.

Leilani gave up after discarding her last piece, a light cotton top all worn out under the arms, got up and decided to scrape together what coins she had left from the Halloween Jack-o-lanterns she carved (a slight chill crossed down her spine as she recalled the incident)and head down to the Edingtol tailor's to check on his new stock.

As she jingled with her coins in her pocket and stepped out through the door, a sudden flash of bright light out in the field caught her attention. Since the previously mentioned incident, Leilani was always on guard so as not to let anything catch her by surprise again. She carefully reached out to pick up her bow and quiver lying just inside the doorway and estimated the distance between her and where the flashing occurred. Instinctively, she decided to check out what happened, disregarding her previous preoccupation with what she's going to wear for the Eidyllion festival. She was not about to let go of the chance to discover something new and exciting. Ever since she was just a cub, she never let an opportunity go by without seizing it.

She armed herself and headed down the path towards the forest where the flashing occurred. Approaching her destination, Leilani's fur bristled down her back. She enjoyed this sensation as it generally meant that all her senses were sharpened and ready for anything that might come her way. As she reached the first lines of trees, she decided to climb up the tallest tree she could spot, to see if she could catch a glimpse of what is going on before going near the sight. With trained movements, using every bit of advantage her feline limbs allowed her, Leilani soon found herself on a thick branch. She carefully crouched down, found a secure position and directed all her attention towards the clearing where she thought she saw the flash come from. She listened and observed with the utmost expression of concentration.

What she saw, not only surprised, but thrilled her at the same time. At the clearing, a young centaur was fighting to ward off a swarm of pink, glittery, shiny things which shot occasional blue flashes of light at her.

The centaur was moving with careful and deliberate elegance, avoiding the flashes and trying to ward off the shinies at the same time. Leilani could tell that she wasn't trying to hurt them, merely trying to scare them off. She readied her bow and selected an arrow from her quiver with a small pouch attached to the point. It was filled with the finest pepper dust, mixed with some fairy dust gathered at the Eidyllion festival last year, her own brainchild. She found they were especially effective with scaring off and disabling all kinds of fae creatures on the smaller side. She placed the arrow in her long bow, brushing her fingers through the fine cardinal feathers at the end of the arrow, so as to make them fly true and find their target. She took aim at the center of the big swarm, took a long breath, held it in for a while and then released it together with the arrow and a loud pang of her bowstring. The arrow found its target right in the middle of the swarm of shinies and exploded pepper and fairy dust all over them. The swarm immediately scattered in all directions, while some of them fell to the ground immobilized. Leilani smiled a victorious smile and jumped down from the tree, missing the surprised expression on the centaurs face, scanning the treetops to see the culprit.

Leilani ran excitedly, as fast as she could towards the clearing, forgetting that in spite of the friendliness of the People of the Hoof, some of them were indeed fierce warriors who did not take kindly to surprise stealthy attacks.

As she reached the clearing, she was surprised to see the centaur turning towards her, her bow materialized in a flash of an eye in her hands, prepared in a position to attack.

"Who are you?", the centaur shouted at her, quickly assessing the immediate danger Leilani's bow and dagger posed against her. Leilani, noticing the centaur's angry face, quickly lowered her bow. "I saw the flashing from my hut up there from the hill". she pointed to her dwelling. "I thought someone might be in danger." The centaur lowered her bow and placed her arrow carefully back in her quiver. "Ah, alright then." She smiled. "That was a really good shot." She said, looking genuinely impressed. "What was on it? It seemed to spread some kind of powder in the air." Leilani smiled back. "Īt was my special mix, I find it extremely helpful with creatures like these." She turned towards the place where the shinies fell. "What are they?" The centaur gracefully approached the spot and signaled Leilani to come closer. "I honestly don't know. I was trying to gather some lilly of the valley when they attacked me." She picked up one of the shinies from the ground. "They look like fireflies of some sort. I am sure my elders back in the herd can examine them and give us a better explanation. They could prove useful. We should go back to the area where the herd is, I am sure my elders would be willing to reward you for helping me." Leilani's expression suddenly changed. "I... I...", she muttered the composed herself quickly. "I was actually getting ready to go, but unfortunately, nothing I own is fit for appearing in front of your magnificent race." She blushed slightly and lowered her head, trying to hide her embarrassment. To her greatest surprise, the centaur started to laugh then said quickly. "I am sorry for laughing, but I assure you, my people do not require any special attire to be worn in their presence." The she approached Leilani and held out her hand. "My name is Merrida. I am the daughter of one of the members of princess Nehiros' high council. It is an honour and a pleasure to meet such a skillful young hunter, such as yourself." Leilani accepted Merrida's outstretched hand and with a glint of pride in her eyes, she said: "I am equally honoured to meet a royal from among your people. I will go with you." Merrida smiled at Leilani and nodded. "I am sure we will become great friends."

~END OF PART I~

Last edited by LillieRose on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:27 pm
Very good, Professor. . .I look forward to reading more of Leilani's adventures.

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm
Thank you my Lord. :3
I shall have to find someone to animate my thread in between parts. XD

~PART II~

As Leilani and Merrida walked out of the clearing, they began an animated conversation about everything and anything that crossed their minds at the time. They discovered that they are nearly the same age, Leilani among her people and Merrida among hers, that they are both passionate about the secrets of archery and bow usage and Leilani also found out that Merrida is a quite accomplished shaman trainee among other things.

Leilani was at awe, just by looking at Merrida's royal appearance, her unruly, long red mane, that many people confused for hair, her sleek fur on her lowers body which was shockingly black as opposed to her fiery red mane and the exquisite craftsmanship of her studded black leather armour. She also noted that the bow Merrida had was very much different than her own bow.

As they arrived to the camp of the People of the Hoof, Merrida galloped cheerfully towards the dwelling of her kin and affectionately hugged and older, wise-looking centaur with a long silvery mane and grey lower body. Leilani assumed that it was Merrida's father, so when the two of them approached her, she did her best to put on her most dignified expression and posture to greet the old man properly.

"Leilani, allow me the privilege to introduce you to my master, Brundelwald." She turned to the old man with deep love reflected in her eyes. "We call him Brun, for short." Leilani was touched with the sight of such love in her new friend's eyes, she approached the old man and carefully enclosed her hands around his. "I am Leilani. I am honoured to meet the master of such a wonderful person like Merrida. I am afraid I have mistook you for her father." Leilani smiled apologetically at her friend. The old man started laughing heartily and released Leilani's hand, at the same time landing an affectionate blow on her shoulder. "I am afraid I am too old to be this lovely woman's father. I am happy to have her under my guidance though," the old man said, directing a warm smile in Merrida's direction. "There is no greater happiness in an old man's life than the chance to transfer knowledge to someone who is so adept in taking it." Turning back to Leilani, the old man continued his speech. "Merrida is a very keen student, she has advanced much further in his studies than any of my other students have. She told me that you came across some unusual creatures and that you helped her capture some of them. Let us step into my hut and examine them more closely, shall we?" The old centaur turned towards the entrance of his hut, covered with a curtain made of leather which he pulled to the side and entered. Merrida and Leilani followed.

When they were comfortably seated around the fire in the centre of the hut with cups of warm herbal teas in their hands, Leilani was prepared for a bit of lengthy conversation. And she was right, the sun moved across the sky and was approaching dusk when after all the questions and explanations about her origin, her kin and her race, the conversation slowly turned towards what they were there to examine in the first place.

"I am sorry for all the scrutiny," the old man said earnestly. "Our race is not accustomed to sharing the knowledge we posses with someone whom we do not trust." He smiled. "However, you answered all my questions truthfully and without reserve, which proves that you are worthy of whatever it is that is about to happen here in this hut. Now let me see the trophies of your adventure."

Merrida took out her leather pouch and handed it over to Brun. He carefully turned the sack over and emptied it of its contents. The creatures were still motionless as they fell out on the piece of smoothed wood Brun already placed in the line of light.

"Hmmmm, most curious, but I think I know what they are. These creatures have not been seen in a long time and I am afraid they do carry a healthy dose of mischief within. They are not dangerous though, these are none other than Leprachaun wisps, faithful followers of those odd creatures from the mythical land behind the rainbow. You could even say that they are their pets, like faeries are to us." He smiled, eyes filled with glee. "This is a magnificent find indeed. The blue flashes that you and Merrida have told me about are not strictly speaking dangerous. They are more of a defense system these wisps use to ward off unwanted visitors. They are fiercely loyal, you see, they mostly move around in swarms, guarding the treasuries of Leprachauns, those mischievous little things."

Leilani was amazed. She did not expect to come across such an interesting find. Then her eyes went wide and she directed her gaze towards Brun's smiling face. "You mean to tell me that there was a Leprachaun treasury somewhere near the place where they attacked Merrida? But that's wonderful! We could go back there and dig it up!" Brun's face suddenly turned serious. "No, my young one, we will not do that. The Leprachauns are generous when it is the time to be generous. We will not desecrate their sanctuary and violate their tradition of giving." Brun smiled again and gently patted Leilani on the back, seeing her attempts to hide her embarrassment. "But if it treasures you want, these wisps will be treasure enough, I assure you." He briskly stood up and took an empty glass jar from one of the shelves hanging from the wall of the hut. He placed one of the wisps gently inside the jar and fastened a leather seal with holes on it. He then muttered a few strange words over the jar and shook it gently. The wisp in the jar came alive with a shocking blue light shining out of it. He lit the whole room and coloured it different shades of blue.

Leilani was very surprised at this little show but her delight grew when Brun handed the jar over to her with the following words. "This is my gift to you for helping Merrida. May it bring you light when you find yourself in darkness. You will need to master the use of these two words in order to be able to control its light properly." He then leaned close to Leilani's ear and whispered the two words to her ear.

~END OF PART II~

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:00 pm
I enjoyed reading your story so far Lillie. :3
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm
You continue to draw me in, Professor, the adventure is very interesting.

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm
Thank you Celestry and Lord Scarz, I do appreciate that you took the time to read both stories. :3

I must say, I sometimes surprise myself with the things that come to my mind while writing. The second story didn't turn out at all the way I thought it will. XD

I dressed up as I imagine Merrida would look. Just to give my readers, well you two, essentially, a better idea. :3

~PART III~

Leilani was thrilled with the experience she received just by listening to Merrida's and Brundelwald's stories. She was content with the knowledge she acquired and the wonderful and thrilling gift she received. However, when all three of them stepped out of Brun's hut, they were surrounded by not just members of the People of the Hoof, but also a fair amount of the people from Edingtol in merrymaking. The festival was at its full swing. Leilani did not know where to look, towards the wonderfully coloured posters that Lord Alric has decided to gift to the People of the Hoof or the wonderful specimens of all sorts of charming garments that the People of the Hoof were offering to the citizens far and wide.

She suddenly blushed and became conscious once again of her own attire, which was not quite befitting for such an occasion. Merrida noticed her change in colour and smiled encouragingly at her newly found friend. "Come with me Leilani, the gift master Brun bestowed upon you is not the only one you are meant to receive today." She briskly whisked Leilani away towards her own residence, a magnificent hut, decorated with strings of beads and small, white shells. As they approached the hut, another centaur rode in to meet them. His mane was salt and pepper but just like Merrida's lower body, his was also covered in jet black fur. Merrida greeted this new centaur with a deep bow and an affectionate hug afterwards. "Leilani, may I present my father, Lastoleas, princess Nehiros' councilor and my father." Leilani was in awe of how young Merrida's father looked in comparison to master Brun. She followed Merrida's example and greeted him with a deep bow on one knee. "I am honoured to meet you esteemed Lastoleas. My name is Leilani. I am afraid I hold no high honours such as you do." Lastoleas smiled and rose Leilani from her half crouch. "The person who rushes in the aid of someone she does not know needs no higher honours than that of her sincerest friendship. I am delighted to meet you my lady Leilani. I cannot wait for my daughter and you to recount your adventure. Please, follow me." He ushered both of them into the hut where Leilani was immediately seated next to the fire and surrounded by the curious faces of Merrida's family.

"You must be starving." Lastoleas said and pointed at a tray filled with lovely red and ripe apples. "Your Lord Alric was kind enough to send us over these treats from his orchards. I must say, I am always delighted to have them when we visit here." Leilani did not wait for a second offer, she picked an apple from the bunch and bit in it with delight. Even though she was half feline, her diet consisted of lots of fruit when meat was scarce to find. "Now then, let us here about your adventure." Leilani and Merrida started their story and captivated everyone present with it. As a grand finale, Leilani pulled out the jar with the wisps that she received from master Brun and whispered the word he had taught her to make it shine. Everyone was left in awe. "Now, that was a very interesting adventure indeed. And that is a precious gift you received. Master Brun does not allow just anyone is his confidence lightly. He must have been quite taken with you." Leilani lowered her head and blushed again. She was not accustomed to taking so much praise in one day. She had always wanted to make friends with the People of the Hoof, but she never expected it to happen in such an unusual way. "And now, to show my gratitude for helping out my daughter, I would also like to present you with some items I believe you will find most useful. First of all, let me give you this bow." He waved towards one of the centaurs with a deep brown mane and equally brown lower body to come forth. In his hands, there was a bow Leilani had never seen before. She stood up and gracefully took the bow from the centaur's outstretched arms. She then submitted it to a quick examination. It was quite a bit shorter than the bows she was accustomed to using, but it was covered with magnificent carvings the likes of which she had never laid eyes upon before. "I see that the bow intrigues you," said Lastoleas."The carvings are a sort of protective enchantment. With its help, this bow will never break and it will only add to your already great skill of marksmanship that you have demonstrated. Use it well." Leilani thanked Lastoleas and everyone but she did not want to remain in their debt. She considered the wisp jar a gift enough, so she decided to give something in return for the bow. "I truly appreciate this gift, but I would like to give something to you in return, since I feel like I have already been rewarded enough for my deed." She pulled out her quiver and selected one of her arrows with the pouch containing her special mix of pepper and fairy dust. "Please, take this. It is a special mix that I have devised myself. The one that made the wisps freeze. I find it greatly effective against smaller fae creatures." Lastoleas was surprised but not unpleasantly with Leilani's gift. "I thank you young one. This is quite unexpected, but not unwelcome. We shall use this to improve our arrows as well, I believe it will prove quite useful as we do tend to travel a lot around the land." Lastoleas acknowledged her with a bow and a smile.

Merrida was thrilled. "I was too afraid to ask you for this." She cradled the arrow she took from her father's hands gently. "And now, allow me to give you my gift which I have decided to give you almost as soon as you blushed so adorably when I invited you to our camp." Merrida elegantly moved over to an old, gilded chest in the corner of the hut and after opening its heavy lid pulled out a magnificent cloak which shimmered and sparkled even in the faint light of the fire. "I made this cloak when we were visiting our kin in a land far away from Edingtol. Their citizens are quite adept at weaving garments from the petal of a flower called lily of the valley." As Merrida approached Leilani, she noticed that what she took for shimmer and sparkle were actually movements of thousands of delicate petals weaved together in a most extraordinary fashion. Her eyes were filled with wonder. "I-I-I... do not think I can accept this Merrida. It is too wonderful to be given to someone like me. You must have spent hours on making it." Merrida gave a chuckle and handed the cloak over to Leilani. "If it worries you that I will be left without one, I can assure you, I have one just like it." She winked and hugged her friend. "This way, if I know that you have one as well, I will be sure that you will never forget me or the adventure that we shared. I can almost say it was our destiny to become friends." Leilani hugged her friend tightly then released her and gave her a radiant smile. "Alright then, I accept." She draped the cloak around her shoulders and enjoyed the feeling of how perfectly it fit her. Lastoleas observed this little scene with a smile. "My daughter picked her friend wisely. And now, let us join the others and enjoy the festival, I am afraid we shall have to be on our way soon. We do not have much time left." Leilani wholeheartedly agreed and followed the pack of Merrida's family out of the hut and over to the field where everyone was enjoying cups of nectar and mead with music that seemed to be out of this world.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:34 pm
These stories are very good, Lady Lillie. I hope we will hear more of Leilani's adventures in the future!

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:16 pm
Thank you Lady Nema. :3

Well, all of this mud inspired me to write another Leilani story. Hope you guys enjoy it! XD

~NEW CHAPTER - MUDDY BUSINESS~

After the Eidyllion festival, Leilani decided to join the People of the Hoof in their travels. Well, at least part of the way, in any case. She knew that her hotblooded head will not allow her to travel with them for very long, but an opportunity for such an adventure is not something she would let go by so easily. And another factor in her decision was also her new found friend, Merrida, with whom she forged a bond so strong, it would surpass time and land.

However, that adventure is meant to be spoken of in another time and another place.

After leaving the safety of the migrating People of the Hoof, months of roaming in the wild ensued. The bow she received from Merrida's father, the esteemed Lastoleas, has served her well. She got used to the short bow and was as accurate in her aim as she has never been before. Brun's gift had also proven well. Leilani has managed to travel by night, so she covered more ground and was able to travel twice as fast as before.

When she grew tired of the wild and when the thought of her cozy little cottage in Edingtol started to invade her daydreams more often than she would have liked, Leilani decided it was time to go back to Edingtol for a breather. Until the next adventure comes along.

After a few weeks of traveling, she found herself back at the clearing in front of her cottage. It was still there, unchanged, a bit worn but inviting nevertheless. Leilani soaked in the sight. One thought had crossed her mind as she made her way across the clearing to the cottage. "I'm home!"

As she opened the door, however, the sight inside the cottage was far less welcoming than the outside. "Ewwwwwwww!" Leilani groaned as she removed a fair amount of sticky spiderweb from her fur. "Time to clean, I guess.", she mumbled to herself as she deposited her gear next to the door while grabbing a broomstick from the corner.

In just a matter of hours, the cottage appeared livable again. Leilani was disposing of the last bucket of dirty water when she realized that down in the town, there was something going on. "What an earth?", she thought to herself while she was unconsciously wiping her hands into her apron. She also didn't notice that she had a fair amount of dirt stuck into the fur of her face.

Without thinking about her appearance for once, she grabbed her money pouch and took the path down to the village. "I might as well get some groceries while I check out what's going on down there." Curiosity drove her, so she found herself in Edingtol in almost no time at all. And what a sight welcomed her!

There were mud blobs flying everywhere, raining from the sky, appearing from the ground, followed by curious mud monsters mischievously throwing blobs of mud at the citizens, who did not seem to mind this at all. Everything was covered in a thick layer of mud. Houses, the stalls at the market, even Lord Alric's orchard and the palace, too.

The citizens were joining the mud fight, flinging generous amounts of mud at each other and lo behold! The knights and the queen have also joined the festivities. Leilani could not believe her eyes. A mud festival! There has been nothing like this ever before in Edingtol, at least Leilani could not remember that there ever was.

Since her apron and face were already dirty, Leilani tied her money pouch firmly around her waist and dug into the mud with both hands. She had made a hefty mud ball and flung it right in the center of the gathering of citizens. She immediately received a response and within minutes, she found herself covered in mud.

Leilani giggled, laughed and appeared to be having the time of her life. She was just preparing to fling another mud blob when she realized one of the mud monsters was preparing to send a projectile her way."Oh, no, you don't!", she exclaimed and rolled away while flinging her mud blob at the monster. It was a direct hit and the monster wavered.

To her greatest surprise, the mud monster looked at her and uttered: "Nice shot! No one has been able to score a direct hit at me thus far!" Leilani stood up in shock. "You... you can talk?", she gaped. "Well, og course I can! What did you think I was, some mindless puddle of mud? Name's Sirus.", he winked and extended a tentacle like limb towards two other piles. "Those are my siblings, Fuzz and Ziya." He inched closer towards Leilani. "I know this might appear like a festivity to you, but we have a serious problem." Leilani lowered herself on one knee in front of Sirus. "Really? What seems to be the problem? All I see is people having fun in the mud.", she said. Sirus replied: "Well, yes, to the untrained eye it might seem so, but we have a bigger problem. Mud doesn't just come to life out of nowhere, you see. Besides, I noticed you have just arrived." He smirked. "Let's go somewhere quiet and allow me to explain. We might need your help." Leilani obeyed and agreed to move away from the crowd with Sirus and his siblings.

"Ah, this will do!", exclaimed Sirus after finding a relatively quiet place behind one of the Edingtol shops. "Now, let me tell you what's going on." Leilani listened with an interested expression to Sirus' story about a sudden invasion of hostile mud monsters that threatened to leave Sirus, Fuzz and Ziya homeless. "They seemed to come out of nowhere when the river near our village started to run dry.", said Ziya exasperated,"now we can't go back to our homes until we eradicate each and everyone of them." Leilani was itching for a good fight, so she agreed to go with Sirus, Fuzz and Ziya to their village, leaving the mud-flinging citizens of Edingtol behind.

Not far from the town, Leilani and her muddy companions took a path almost invisible to the untrained eye, along a very dry looking riverbed which lead them to a clearing covered with tree stumps, or so it seemed. "This is our settlement. And those are the monsters we need to fight!", exclaimed Sirus. As soon as he uttered those words, Leilani noticed a horde of mud monsters, appearing not nearly as friendly as Sirus and his siblings. "We need something to fight them with and we need it now!", said Ziya. Leilani was confused. "What is it that you need? They're made of mud! You can't fight mud with mud, can you?", she was puzzled. "No, no!", said Sirus. "We can only fight them with water. But if we try, we might perish too, after all, we're made of mud too!", gasped Sirus desperately. "That's why we need you!", uttered Fuzz quietly. This was the first time he spoke.

"Water! Of course!", Leilani's face lit up. "Here, help me with these hollow logs, we need to work fast!" Leilani's scent was so sophisticated, due to her feline origin, that she could smell water from miles away. She left her muddy friends hollowing a bunch of logs, while she ran as fast as she could into the forest, guided by her sharp sense of smell. She didn't have to go far, when she stumbled across a decent sized river. "This will do!", she said and got to work. She pulled a few stray logs out from the river and started hollowing them. She placed them carefully one on top of the other in order to form a trove of sorts. She bound them with strings of cattail stalks but then realized that she's running out of time. "This will never work. I need something that will definitely flush out those monsters from the village." She remembered that her muddy friends told her that the monsters appeared when the river started to run dry. Leilani realized that she has to investigate, regardless of the fact that she's so pressed for time. She continued down the riverbed when she came across what used to be a waterfall. "Well this is odd.", she thought to herself when she noticed a gathering of beavers around a pile of wood which seemed to be their dam. Leilani ran towards them.

"Heeeeeey, over here! I need your help!", she shouted. The biggest beaver which seemed to be the leader of the pack rose to his hind legs. "Well, hello there.", he greeted her in his language. Leilani could understand him easily, she has spoken to many a critter during her adventures. "Please, I need your help.", she said and started to explain the situation with her muddy friends' village. "I think the reason why the river has run dry is because you build this dam here.", concluded Leilani. "If you bring the dam down and release the water back into the river near the village, it might help clean the mud monsters away.", Leilani pleaded. The beaver king listened to Leilani carefully and grudgingly agreed to help her out. "Had we known that this dam would cause so much trouble, we would have never built it. But it's our home now.", said the king . "Do you think your friends would allow us to build a new home near their village? We could help each other out.", he added full of hope. Leilani smiled. "They are very friendly and I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you a portion of their river. Give me enough time to get back to them and help them to safety. When I roar like this," said Leilani and released a hearthy roar,"bring the dam down."

Leilani ran back to where she had left her muddy friends hollowing the log. When she spotted them, she started yelling: "We need to move to a safe place, now! I can't explain anything right now, just move!". Leilani scooped up her friends without stopping and headed up the trunk of a big tree as fast as her feline limbs would allow her. "Hold on tight!", she said then released one of her most powerful roars.

In the distance, a rumbling started to gather, as if there was a storm brewing. The sound grew louder and louder until it became a thunderous roar of rushing water, as the held up waters of the river rushed back into the almost dried out bed, carrying bits and pieces of the forest as it made its way.

From the top of the tree where Leilani and her friends took refuge, they could all see how the scary mud monsters were washed away and down the river. Sirus, Fuzz and Ziya started to shout excitedly: "Let's go down!", but Leilani stopped them. "We need to wait for he water to pull back first. Go back to the riverbed, as it is supposed to. I'm afraid we'll be stuck up here for a while, so make yourself comfortable.", Leilani giggled.

After a good while spent perched on top of the big tree, the water finally pulled back and Leilani and her muddy friends were able to get down. When they got back to the village, they were greeted by the band of beavers and their king. "We held our side of the bargain," the beaver king said,"now it's time for you to honour yours." Leilani nodded and explained the deal she struck with the beavers to her new muddy friends. They agreed wholeheartedly to allow the beavers to make a new settlement and dam near their village.

"And now...", said Sirus giggling,"MUD FIGHT!" Mud blobs were swung, dinner was made and eaten and Leilani celebrated with her new friends until the early hours of the next day.

While she was going back to her cottage, all muddy, tired but happy, she thought about the simple pleasures of life. How a simple mud fight can bring so much joy to the world.

~THE END~

Defender of the Realm
Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm
Professor, I love this new adventure and tying it into the Mud Festival made it even more fun.