Knitter's Paradise
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 3, 4, 5  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:45 pm
I am very new at knitting basically I only know the very BASIC stitches. But I am learning.

I figured a thread where people could chat, share patterns, techniques, and give each other gentle advice would be nice.

I am currently (still) working on my first project. A baby blanket for my daughter. I've been working it for months... No exaggeration, probably even close to a year, but I'm a perfectionist so I keep. Restarting.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm
You'd be done or almost done by now, if you didn't knitpick over it.... Or if the kids didn't insist on sabotage.

I can finally see the end of this purse I'm working on! I'll be so glad when it's done!

I even think I have some nice material to use to line it!

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm
I'm a horrible knitter, end of story, seriously I can't get past the first two types of stitches.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:00 pm
It's really knits and purls. The advanced stuff is different variations of those stitches. If you can understand the knit stitch, and the purl stitch you've got the basics.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:12 pm
The reason I can't get past it isn't really lack of understanding, though I'm sure there will be that too, but more about the fact that I'm just really bad at doing them. I drop stitches left and right because something slipped.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm
I think it was Bamboo needles that are suggest to help not drop stitches. Smile

Burande sent me to the knittinghelp.com they have awesome videos. I'm mostly pro at knit and purl I am just scatter brain and have to remind myself if it is from the top or bottom you go through to make each. I had to send myself a message so I wouldn't forget. I have issues with starting new rows though. Sad That is one of the 30 reasons I have restarted my first project a bajillion times.

I want to learn to crochet. Most patterns I really LOVE are crochet but I like to knit more. Maybe it's because I got so flustered with crocheting after I had totally forgotten how to do a double crochet or to move on past chaining :/ knitting took MUCH less time for me to catch on to. Though I guess when I was around 8 years old I had easy stitches master for crochet I just forgot how to do everything but chain....

@Burande, yeah I could have been done with both blankets a million times over. I'm not sure I like the one I am working on I might go back to trying to make the throw.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:36 pm
The only way I was able to teach myself knitting was watching you tube videos of others knitting. I could not for the life of me decipher the pictures in the knitting book I got. It was a big wha? thunk experience. So far I have done two hats and one scarf, and I've been practicing the harder patterns, and cable. Its just hard to remember which row i'm on because half the time I forget to change my row counter. XD

My current project is trying to knit a purse. The pattern involves ssk (slip slip knit) & k2t (knit 2 together), along with yarn overs. It's a pain in my tushie I tell you. XD

I also have troubles with crochet, I usually end up trying to make a blanket, and it ends shaped like this 'V' because I somehow add stitches or vice versa.

Vote
Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:41 pm
knittinghelp has some videos Smile and they use large needles and white yarn so it is easier to see then some videos I've TRIED to watch on youtube... I'm much the same though. I can't learn from photos. I have a cheat sheet Burande gave me to use and even knowing how to knit and purl the pictures don't make since to me!!!!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:26 pm
I'll definitely have to check out that site. Yes Yeah some videos on youtube made me wonder why when there are hundreds of videos did they decide to upload theirs, especially when the video has poor quality or the camera is shaky.

I think the biggest issue with the pictures is you have to hold your needles and yarn in the same manner in order for it to make any sense. I still can't get the yarn in between my fingers like they do to keep the consistent tension. It just feels so unnatural. XD Course no matter what I do, I can't keep it loose, like with bulky yarn it's always a pain to knit with it because i can't get my needle through the loop. Sad

I joined a few websites, like Knitty daily and ravelry. They have some awesome patterns for free, and of course ones you can pay for.

Vote
Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm
I'm on Ravelry as well. Here's my profile Flipsyperson

Queen of the Realm
Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 pm
*jumps in* I've found that kids books on knitting and crochet are extremely helpful in learning how to do this stuff. The pictures -as well as the explanations- tend to be much more precise and much more clear, and some of the books can really start getting in to some depth about different things! Plus, the projects are kinda fun - especially if you don't always have tons of time to sit there and knit-knit-knit, or if you can't do it on a consistent-enough basis to remember what the heck you were working on or where in the process you are (like I tend to do).

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:34 pm
I have a Stitch n' **** book. I find the instructions for knitting in it were quite helpful. Though by the time I got it I was already adept at knitting. I lent it to Jazzy to try and read, but I don't know if she ever did.
Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Burande - I'll have to add you on there. :3 If someone named Starvynne adds you, don't get weird-ed out, k. XD

I SO want one of her books! I think I have 3 of them on my amazon wishlist. I get paid Friday, maybe I'll have to order one. Yes

Blaze - Yeah, I wish I had more friends with kids so I could go hog wild making them things. XD I guess I could give the dog some new stuffed toys to play with, but I don't want to teach him that playing with yarn is okay because then no yarn projects will be safe. Laughing

Vote
Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:47 pm
I am on Ravelry as well my JzznJasmine (hrmmm hope I did the coding stuffs right for that)

I haven't read the stitch n' **** book too many kids not enough time :'(

Queen Blazey, I never thought of that kids books would have to be more precise. Any books you could suggest... I should probably mimick the crochet thread and add links to helpful knitting videos and such Smile

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 pm
I actually have two of the Stitch n' **** books. The first one and the Superstar Knitting. I really want to get the Stitch Nation one as well. My sis owns the Happy Hooker one for Crochet, but I haven't borrowed it yet.

I imagine kids books on knit/crochet might help for learning. They would simplify things or add in pretty descriptive images for the needed techniques. Or I think they would. There was a rhyme on a website about teaching kids knitting that I thought was pretty neat. I'll have to find it and share it.

EDIT: Found a site that has quite a few rhymes by googling Kids knitting rhyme
Quote:
For very little kids:

Into the Bunny hole
Run around the tree
Out of the bunny hole
Away runs he.

Knitting Continental

Under the Fence
Catch the Sheep
Back you go
Off you leap