In honor of the Supreme Court debates in progress...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm
My apologies if this isn't posted in the proper place, but I just saw this video and had to share it in light of current events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlVBg7_08n0

"No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it."
Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:29 pm
I don't have much time to watch the video right now because I'm fixing to head to work.

My best friend is engaged to her wonderful fiance, who just so happens to be a lady.
I want everything that is best for the two of them, and being treated equally is a main part of that.
I will never understand why people refuse two people who love each other to marry.
Love has nothing to do with gender.
I have always considered myself to be fairly gender-blind after growing up believing that I was supposed to be a boy.
I was in 5th grade when I realised that I did not prefer boys over girls, and vice-versa.
If I just so happened to have fallen in love with another female, I would want to be able to marry her.

I think my main issue with disallowing equality, especially relating to marriage, are the legal benefits these couples are denied.

I could rant about this all day...
I'm sure I will when I come back from work. XD

Wooo!
Equality! XD
Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Heck yeah, I agree equality all the way. This is something that really needs to happen. it's like the photo that has been being passed around on facebook lately, it says:

Quote:
The fact that you can't sell your daughter for three goats and a cow means we've already redefined marriage.

it is about time we let marriage be redefined again, and allow m/m, m/f, and f/f love shine through on legalized paper for those who do want it.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 am
It really amuses me that there are some people who legitimately believe that allowing gay marriage will also allow people to marry animals.
Freakin' animals. ._.
/That/ will NEVER make sense to me. =.=
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:19 pm
That is a great quote Keres, I had not seen that, thanks for sharing it. It made me smile.

Social evolution ftw.

Defender of the Realm
Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 pm
-liz- wrote:
It really amuses me that there are some people who legitimately believe that allowing gay marriage will also allow people to marry animals.

I think that fear comes from the fact that the courts have not been known to truly clarify a decision. . .what they are worried about is that once the court rules; where does that ruling end? Some even fear that the decision will open the door for poligamy, under-age marriages, etc., . . .they may be unfounded worries, but there are many people who see the government intrusion into so many things as a moral corruption of what America is.

This is a volatile subject for many people on both sides of the issue. . .but I remember a quote by Albert Einstein, "Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. . ."; I would add; ". . .or who they fall in love with."

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm
First thing I want to say is, that video made me cry. XD It's beautiful. Heart

Scarz wrote:
I think that fear comes from the fact that the courts have not been known to truly clarify a decision. . .what they are worried about is that once the court rules; where does that ruling end?

Here's where I lament the death of Common Sense. It's true: Despite it's name, it's really not that common. Rolling Eyes

I mean, what does marriage have to do with animals?! Marriage is a willing, bonded agreement with 2 consenting adults. Animals cannot give said consent, sooo....

My question to those people is, "When did marriage between 2 consenting adults become a slippery slope?"
There is nothing in gay marriages that is not akin to a mixed gender marriage beyond people's squeamishness about something that is none of their damned business anyways.

And gay couples' inability to produce kids together is no longer a valid argument with 7 billion people on the planet and 153,000,000 orphans worldwide. Moreover, people's fears about gay parents being "insufficient" and "detrimental" for adopted kids has already been demonstrated as false by a growing number of obviously intelligent, well bred children standing up for their gay parents.

So (surprise, surprise) there are no legitimate arguments here.

Scarz wrote:
Some even fear that the decision will open the door for poligamy, under-age marriages, etc., . . .they may be unfounded worries, but there are many people who see the government intrusion into so many things as a moral corruption of what America is.

And this is where I lament the death of freedom of choice.

For polygamy, from a moral perspective, I have no argument against provided that the marriages are between adults only, that equality and consent among all parties are maintained. It's complicated, and it wouldn't be my choice, but hey.

Under aged marriages are a whole other kettle of fish and I could punch in the teeth those who really believe it's a legitimate argument against gay marriages. (Because people that stupid make me that mad! Evil or Very Mad )
I won't go into it here (the rant is likely to get ugly >____< ), but this does not, under any circumstances, have anything to do with the above discussion.

The truth is that we need to review our notion of what is "depraved". And love among consenting adults just... isn't.

As to the government corrupting morality, that would require people to actually have a clear understanding of what morality actually is. Currently, though, most people's sense of morality is firmly entrenched in their own understanding/interpretations of their religious beliefs rather than in their understanding of what's actually right. So the argument is flawed and dangerously narrow minded.

Last edited by Tisiel on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:57 pm
I just don't understand why some people thank that gay marriage is going to lead to people wanting to marry animals. They are not something that can verbally consent.

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:38 pm
Oh hey! Shocked I just realized it might look like I was picking on you, Sir Scarz. I wasn't, I promise. Your post just had conveniently summerized arguments I've heard that make my eye twitch. Razz Heart

Defender of the Realm
Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 am
Tis all right, milady. . I was only stating why some people feel the way they do on this subject. . .there are those who believe it is wrong on religious grounds and those who don't care one way or the other. . .there are those among the baby boomers that just don't like seeing changes. . .or don't understand them.

People born in the 50's or 60's may have a different view from those born in the 70's and 80's. . .

Some people just don't like changes at all.

People forget that Bill Clinton is the President that signed the Defense of Marriage Act. . .he NOW says he doesn't believe in the law that he signed.

Obama agreed with the law, then didn't agree with it, then agreed with it and then doesn't again. . .

Both just show how bad politicians can be and how they change their views depending on the audience.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, as you already have the Justices asking the Attorney General's Office why they aren't defending the existing law; which is normally what the Justice Department does when the Constitutionality of a Law is being adjudicated.

It's about time a decision is made that will give proper benefits to spouses/partners.

It will be interesting to see what the Court does or says and whether they will make it a State's Rights issue or something that has to be on the Federal level.

Unfortunately, we will have to wait for June to hear their decision. (I have never been able to figure out how the Supreme can hear a case, but not make their decision known for 3 or more months)

Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:07 am
Anyone who has a Facebook probably knows about people changing their profile pictures to the red equal sign in support of marriage equality. Well, my friend changed her profile picture to this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and are allowed to express them-- just as the people who changed their profile pictures to the red equal sign have-- and have no problem with her actually changing her profile picture to such, but it's the heated debates and arguments that happened on the picture that bugged me [which lead me to want to post here now. :I ]
Not until I took the time to read the wall of text on this picture have I heard that people actually believe there is "no different between homosexuality and bestiality." Since when is two consenting adults wanting to marry under law as equally terrible and as 'big of a sin' as bestiality?

The same person went on to explain how being homosexual is unnatural and un-biological-- "All religions of the world are against Homosexuality and for good reason. Take God out of the picture and it will still be wrong because it goes against the very course of nature." -- "Homosexuality is a choice and it's a choice to rebel against what was instituted by the Creator and that which is the natural order of things."

I have never been very religious [despite my username... XD], and while I try to respect everyone's opinions, I just don't understand how people can be so hateful towards a group of people. I wholeheartedly support same-sex marriage because there is no reason that a homosexual couple should not be able to be recognized by the government in the same respect as heterosexual couple. Correct me if I am wrong, but the bible, in many passages, actually approves of slavery. Our evolving society has opened their eyes and, despite the bible's teachings, realized that slavery is immoral. This is no different. When it comes down to it, this is not a religious matter. There is separation between church and state for a reason. There is a reason that there is no national religion. All men are not created equal presently and we will continue to evolve until we reach the equality that the Framers so wished for us.

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm
I understood you were just putting out the common arguments, Sir Scarz. Yes Heart

Ah, Holy... The next time you hear/ read/ see people who say homosexuality is "not natural", do feel free to direct them here

Honestly, I wish people who made those claims would take a second and *research* their claims, rather than regurgitate what others have randomly decided is true! Rolling Eyes