Hetalia
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]
Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 pm
I'm not sure what kind of responses I might receive, but I thought I'd try to find any other Hetalia fans here.

I like the series because, even though I already liked history, it provides a new way of learning tidbits of history in a way I find refreshing. Often enough history is taught in such a boring and serious manner that it just becomes cumbersome to enjoy it, or so I've experienced anyway. I also don't know of a fictional series that has been able to bring so many people together to learn more about other countries and even maybe more about their own, and this is mostly through interactions between fans than really the series in itself, but I still feel like Himaruya deserves some serious props, even if he's not really all that historically accurate (which for what the series is meant to be I wouldn't hold him to be anyway).

My favorite characters are England, Sweden, Canada, and Greece to name a few (with England being way, way in the lead for first >w>; ), and I'll go ahead and admit that I like USUKUS as my favorite pairing. I find it easy to like a lot of the characters though.

So... Favorite character(s)? Strip/Episode? Any good fic rec's?

*wonders if this will get her to post more* .w.;
Celestrya

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:34 pm
I have never heard of it, but it does sound very interesting! I read it up on a Wiki site, and I love the way the characters are described.
Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 pm
When it comes to Hetalia, I must admit, I ship more than a UPS truck! XD
(I won't list them all because that would be long and potentially mentally damaging, but I will tell you that I support you in USUK fandom.)

I really like Hetalia, and it's great to see someone else on here who does too! ^_^
Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:52 pm
I have read bits here and there, but it never really caught my interest. For me it is of those "not bad, not good" works.

I have heard that the historical accuracy is okay as long as the focus is on the Western countries, but that Himaruya's bias becomes really obvious when it comes to the Eastern ones and their history. There has been some major controversy over this in Korea.

Some of the fans' behaviour boggles my mind. Shocked I know those kind of fans are a minority, but it is hard not to pay attention to them when they make themselves known.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm
@Celestrya: Well, it's sort of one of those series where you'll probably either love it or hate it though, although I'm happy that quite a few people take the middle road like Animejosse and don't hate on the series completely.

@Shika: Lol... I like several pairings (and thankfully most of them are pretty popular [for once...] *usually is drawn to the far-less-popular pairings* .w.; ) other than USUKUS too -- Spamano, Gertalia, SuFin, Giripan/Giripankey (*lol came up with that name >w>; *) , and The Frying Pangle to name a few.

@Animejosse: Yeah, his personal history of sorts kind of shows through most prominently with the Asian countries (especially Japan, China, and Korea). .3. But I like that he also makes fun of Japan with the character himself, so it's not like he's blatantly mocking any one country.

Oh man... The fanatical types of fans in ANY fandom always make me go, "Wha..." ._. I came from KH and KHR before Hetalia and am probably still pretty well-known in the KH fandom (or at least the Organization part of it) and some of the fans in those fandoms in particular are..., well..., nuts. ._.
Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 pm
Would that last one happen to be Hungary/Prussia? If so, I'm in agreement of all but that one. Yes
Yeah, I seem to be a fan of the less-known/liked pairs as well (RusLat, Korea/China) and can't stand some of the more popular ones (FrUK, RoChu).
Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:40 pm
Chimera wrote:
@Celestrya: Well, it's sort of one of those series where you'll probably either love it or hate it though, although I'm happy that quite a few people take the middle road like Animejosse and don't hate on the series completely.

I haven't watched it yet. I'm not sure if I can take it for long (what I've seen is quite funny, but in a way that'll probably annoy me after a while, and it's one of the very few series where I can say I actually hate the drawing style). Yet I still really want to watch it, if that makes sense >_>

As for characters, Lithuania is pretty adorable. And Switzerland is cute in a very odd way XD (well, that seems quite accurate to me, considering my experiences with my Swiss boyfriend *hides*)

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 pm
@Shika: The Frying Pangle is HungaryAustriaPrussia actually. xD;;

I can't really get into any pairings with Russia nor China; I don't know why. ._.; I don't like FrUK at all neither though.

@Manah: Yeah, I don't like the Studio they got for the anime. x_x It's a cheap one that uses odd colors and reuses scenes whenever they can (Oh gods, the island...). I much prefer the webmanga actually, though I love the voices they have for the anime. I would suggest to anyone getting into the series to read it first though, or one will miss out on a lot since the anime doesn't have anywhere near as many notes explaining things. Reading though really shows the progress Himaruya's made in his drawings though too.

A friend of mine would probably love you for liking Switzerland. xD Not many people seem to.
Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm
Shocked Really? How can anyone not like him?

Even before I found out they have the same voice actor, he reminded me a LOT of Edward Elric XD And that fact keeps tempting me to make a joke about size, but no, I'll resist...

Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 pm
Well..., I don't know if it's that not many people like him or that he just kind of slips past most people's attention since he's not seen all that often. He's one of those "there" characters to me. xD; He can show up, and I'll notice him, but then I forget about him as soon as the attention's not on him anymore. .w.;

Lol... That reminds me of a comic I've seen parodying the lake scene with Switzerland and Liechtenstein (who does Al's voice by the way xD ). Pity I don't remember who drew it off-hand...
Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm
Chimera wrote:
@Animejosse: Yeah, his personal history of sorts kind of shows through most prominently with the Asian countries (especially Japan, China, and Korea). .3. But I like that he also makes fun of Japan with the character himself, so it's not like he's blatantly mocking any one country.

Oh man... The fanatical types of fans in ANY fandom always make me go, "Wha..." ._. I came from KH and KHR before Hetalia and am probably still pretty well-known in the KH fandom (or at least the Organization part of it) and some of the fans in those fandoms in particular are..., well..., nuts. ._.

Apparently there were some political reasons as well, but I will not any opinion about it since I do not have all of the facts.

Kingdom Hearts? I used to be in that fandom as well, and oh dear some of the Organization fans! I actually ran into one who was convinced the Disney characters had brainwashed Sora into hating the Organization XIII. My face was pretty close to "O_o" in real life.

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 pm
Yeah, I'm not too sure what all's happened with the whole (South) Korea - Japan - China relations, but I heard it's rocky, which has lead to some big problems with them and the series.

Well, I can see why they'd think that though. xD; They keep him focused on defeating the Organization without letting him possibly question why they're going after hearts. Some people take things way too seriously either way though.
Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 pm
I just started watching this today >.>
Loving it so far :3

Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 am
: Db That's great that you're enjoying it so far. I suggest to maybe read it too though. They leave a lot of the notes and such out of the anime, so just watching it means you're missing out. .w.;

http://aph.starry-sky.com/

This site has a lot of the scanlations for the webmanga on it without one having to join the LiveJournal community to be able to read them. Though if anyone likes the series enough I suggest joining the Hetalia community on LJ for the shear amount of stuff one can find on it.
Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:33 am
I love Hetalia so much it's almost embarrassing. It's the first fandom I've really gotten the urge to write fanfiction for (though I haven't finished any yet... I have 10+ started... my mind doesn't want me to leave any of them as just simple one-shots though BAH).

My favourite character is absolutely Romano (South Italy). He is just so adorable in fanworks. XD His canon self is a bit overbearing, but I love how the fans explore the reasons for him being the way his is.

As such, all my favourite pairings tend to involve Romano. Different ones for different moods, though Spain/Romano generally comes first. Prussia/Romano I like for their similar cases of being "extra/unneeded" nowadays, yet downright noisy anyways, leading to both a hint of angst and some down right horrible language. Laughing Lately I've come to think Germany/Romano would be a nice pairing, though it's completely totally absolutely impossible. And finally, um, North and South Italy, but mostly just because I always want to see their interactions outside of their relationships with other guys.

Anyways, that's enough out of my for now. Embarassed Sorry for being such a Romano fangirl.

p.s. I do actually like other characters. Korea would probably be my favourite if people weren't so wary of using him.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 1 of 53