Heads up! Forum Reorganizing...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Yup... I'm reorganizing the forums, archiving threads, rearranging things, renaming things, cleaning stuff out...

...Yes, you'll be able to find things when I'm done. Until I'm done? Well, I'll try to keep links updated and you guys posted on my progress, but my main priority will be just getting it done, so please bear with me while I'm mid-process.

Why am I doing this?
Well, everything is just messy and outdated and it's too complicated, and it's nearly impossible to find things. And it's just time to clean things out a bit.

What am I doing?
I'm re-evaluating the forum structure, the subforums, the names and naming and activity, trying to simplify in a way that makes more sense to Zantarni as it currently is. All these subforums are fine and appropriate and very well organized... but for a different level of activity than we currently have.

Pretty much everything will be archived. Yes, you will have access to those archives. Zantarni has a long, rich history that we should keep, and keep available, but we don't need threads from ten or twelve years ago cluttering up the first pages of our forums either. Current, active threads will be brought in to a new forum structure. And you will have a chance to request threads to be brought forward in to the new structure once it's established.

What does this mean?
This will give you guys a chance to go forward with your own threads a little more easily, without being bogged down by Zantarni's history - a history that spans over a decade! You'll be able to re-start any gaming tables threads, putting your own spin on the rules and activity and hopefully, you'll want to start new conversations without the fear of duplicating a previous topic of discussion. This restructuring should give you guys more options and more freedom!

The details-
This is up to revision, since I have to work within the limitations of our existing software and forum structure and I will be making last minute decisions as I get deeper in to things, but the new structure should look something like this:

• The Great Hall = Announcements, official Zantarni business, etc.
    -Subforum: Site Discussion = development plans, bugs & glitches, item creation requests, etc.

• The Hall of Archives
    notes: I'd like to get this to be a subforum of the Great Hall but don't think the software will permit it. There will be a lot of subforums here; I'll try to name them and identify them appropriately for ease of use.

• The Gatehouse = introductions, welcome, help, ZanDex, etc.

• Citizens' Halls = discussion of varied topics; general or Zantarni-specific
    -Subforum: Scholars' Rooms = serious discussion
    -Subforum:Entertainment Hall = entertainment of all kinds, including RPGs, "count to 100", etc.
    -Subforum: Quests and Charities
    -Subforum: Jester's Folly = new forum; info on this later

• Castle Bazaar = marketplace; Zantarni items, artwork, user shops

• The Dungeon & Alchemists' Laboratory = Staff forums

My steps:
  • Restructure the forums
  • Move all threads, forums, subforums
  • Rename any archived forums and subforums as appropriate
  • Move all current relevant threads to the new structure
  • Fix main navigation menu with links to new structure
  • Redo the "Community" page with updated links, information, etc.
  • Test everything; check everything - all links, references, etc.
  • probably something else... Rolling Eyes

This may take a couple of days. I will keep you updated as well as I can.

You guys...
Arrow You may post requests for your threads to be moved to the new, active structure in this thread. Please provide the current (old) forum the thread is found in, and a link to the thread. Please note: Some threads, I'm opting to leave in the archives (usually the game threads), although they are currently active. Why? Because they were started years and years ago and I'd like to give you guys a chance to start the thread with your own spin on it. Yes, if you'd really like to move the original, we can do that.

If you have serious concerns about any of this, you are welcome to post them as well.

Last edited by Blazestorm on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:52 pm
Ok, to help you guys understand what I've done, this is a comparison between the old forum structure and the new.

Arrow OLD FORUM STRUCTURE:

City Hall

Edingtol Gates
    subforum: Good Deeds (charities)

Main Hall
    subforum: Scholar's Room
    subforum: Pubs & Clubs
    subforum: Gaming Tables
    subforum: Entertainment

Zan Discussion
    subforum: Tournament Grounds
    subforum: Places of Dreams (quests)
    subforum: Avatar Courtyard

Heroes' Realm
    subforum: OOC
    subforum: 1x1s

Market Exchange
    subforum: Creative Exchange

Artists' Quarter
    subforum: Pixel Plaza
    subforum: Wordsmith's Nook
    subforum: Pricing Requests
    subforum: Freebie Shops

Hall of Archives

Arrow NEW FORUM STRUCTURE:

Arrow The Great Hall = (renamed) City Hall
    description: official site announcements
    new subforum: Site Discussion
    description: bugs and glitches, item requests, will include discussion of future site development

Arrow The Gatehouse = Edingtol Gates + The Great Library
    description: introductions and welcome, help, questions

Arrow Citizens' Halls = Main hall, Zan Discussion, Pubs & Clubs
    description: main forum for discussion/chat
    subforum: Quests and Good Deeds (charities)
    subforum: Entertainment
    description: Includes the RPG/Heroes' Realm, Gaming Tables, Tournament Grounds, Avatar Courtyard, Entertainment. Includes game threads, literature threads, etc. (yes, pretty much everything. I did not move any RPG threads because nothing has been active.) Content is everything entertainment-oriented
    subforum: Scholar's Room
    description: serious discussion

Arrow Castle Bazaar = Market Exchange + Artists' Quarter
    description: includes all subforums for the Creative Exchange, Pixel Plaza, Wordsmith's Nook, Pricing Requests, Freebie Shops. B/S/T Zantarni items or creative skills for ZG/items

Arrow Hall of Archives
    description: This forum contains all of the previous forums, subforums and threads going back to Zantarni's creation, as well as the newly moved threads, forums and subforums, excepting active threads from approximately the last year which have been moved in to the new forum structure as appropriate.

If there proves to be a need for additional forums or organization, we can add to the current (new) structure. This is pretty pared-down -intentionally- but it will permit us to grow again in ways that are better suited to "Zantarni of today" instead of "old Zantarni", without being bogged down.

Last edited by Blazestorm on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 pm
I think this is a great idea. Very Happy

I still like the name Pubs & Clubs. Maybe just Pubs would be better. *shrugs*

Here are the ones (that I can think of) that I'd like to keep in the new forum:

Rayven's Nest in Pubs & Clubs
http://www.zantarni.com/post2813283.html#2813283

Zan Musings in Zantarni Discussion
http://www.zantarni.com/post2813282.html#2813282

Posting Goals in Quests & Good Deeds
http://www.zantarni.com/post2813261.html#2813261

Count to 50 Before a Knight Posts in Gaming Tables
http://www.zantarni.com/post2813262.html#2813262

Rayven's Very Big Quest (I think that's what it was called) in Places of Dreams
I don't know where it is to get the link.

Buying Quest Items (Author me) in Market Exchange
http://www.zantarni.com/buying-quest-items-t57771.html

Sir Scarz' shop in Market Exchange

Price Guide in Market Exchange (It is outdated, but I still found it useful.)

Event Helpers in Good Deeds (Charities)

Item Suggestion Thread in the Great Hall I think.

The Zanto Ranch in Pubs and Clubs
http://www.zantarni.com/the-zanto-ranch-post-and-click-your-zani-pets-t57619.html

Five Questions in Main Hall
http://www.zantarni.com/five-questions-t56138.html

5 Positive Things in Main Hall
http://www.zantarni.com/5-positive-things-t56538.html

3 Negative Things in Main Hall
http://www.zantarni.com/3-negative-things-t56843.html

Bo had a discussion thread in the Scholar's Room

Alphabetical Products in the Gaming Tables
http://www.zantarni.com/alphabetical-products-t7607.html

A-Z Zantarni in the Gaming Tables
http://www.zantarni.com/antarni-t57067.html

Event token, count how many you have in the Gaming Tables
http://www.zantarni.com/event-token-count-how-many-you-have-t56345.html

Clever Genie, Corrupt a Wish in the Gaming Tables
http://www.zantarni.com/clever-genie-corrupt-a-wish-t55526.html

Queen of the Realm
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:01 pm

Arrow The basic forum reorganization is done.

Arrow Main navigational changes under the banner are done.

Arrow I am about to tackle the navigation on the "Community" page so that it's current too, but this might end up getting postponed a little bit because my brain hurts and it's dinner time and the teenagers are going to start getting cranky.

Arrow IF your thread -or a favorite thread- is not in the new forums, please post the thread, with a link here, and one of the Knights or I will move it. Note: As mentioned above, a lot of the games threads were intentionally not moved, because I want to give you guys a chance to restart the games you want to have, with your own twists, instead of continuing to reward players who haven't signed in to Zantarni in years (literally).

... Questions?
... Thoughts?
... Confused?

Rayven, (1) Please double check the existing forums for those threads (I think I got most of them) and (2) consider restarting those older gaming threads... the A-Z, the questions, even the Count to 50... if you'd rather not, then yes, they can be moved.

Also, a couple threads that might be useful I did not move because they were image-heavy and used tinypic for hosting... which is not functional any longer...or they were just extremely outdated... so in these cases, it's probably better to just redo the thread.

Knights, we should probably review the "guides" and "rules" threads for some of the specific forums and update as needed
Angel Spirit Girl

Long-term Citizen
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm
I'm very confused. I do not know how to find my market thread or quest thread.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 pm
Your market thread should be in "Castle Bazaar", and your quest thread should be in the Quests and Charities subforum of "Citizens' Halls", Angel. If they're not, let me know and I'll make sure they end up there. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit:
Arrow Angel's Quests
Arrow Angel's Shop

... and yes, I'm taking a break. The community page with the old links will have to wait. In the meantime, they will still take you to the correct thread or forum if you're looking for something...
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:31 am
Thanks Queen Blaze. Very Happy I'll check them tomorrow. My brain hurts too. XD Busy day...

I want to think about how to proceed with the game threads. I'd like to see how others feel too. Personally, I like them the way they are, but I suppose they could be started over.

Queen of the Realm
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:45 am
So start a thread to discuss it. I just wanted to give you guys the option. I understand wanting to keep the history, rhythm, etc., of an established thread, but at the same time, it would be nice to have the chance to update these games too...
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:47 am
*raises hand* I think the games we actively play, especially during events, should be redone to be updated for our current situation. Not to mention, at least one of them (Alphabetical Products) has definitely evolved from just, A - Apple, B - Blueberry, to being very wordy A - Adam's Amazing Acrobatic Astronauts. (Yet another thing that was my fault) XD Yes

Edit: Just a suggestion, but perhaps the Zan-Bestiary could be redone and hosted by a NPC as all the images seem to be covered by the photobucket watermark.
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
9320/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:07 am
bohemian wrote:
...perhaps the Zan-Bestiary could be redone ...all the images seem to be covered by the photobucket watermark.

That's exactly why I didn't move that thread - it's basically unuseable right now. If somebody would like to redo the thread and recreate the images, I'll be happy to host the images on Zantarni's server.

Edit: FYI - I'm not tackling the Community page today. I need a break from coding, the computer, etc.
Angel Spirit Girl

Long-term Citizen
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Oh! That is what happened. I was checking up on my threads by going to the community page. That page linked to the old archived forum sections, though. Finding things should be easy when you are done setting the new links.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 pm
I'm sorry you got confused, Angel. Yes, everything should be pretty easy to find once I do that page. In the meantime, the main navigation (under the site banner) is correct, so you can get to the new forums (and your threads) that way... and it shouldn't take me long to re-do the community page - I just needed a break today. Yes

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 am
It'll take a bit to get used to the moved subforums, esp the glitches being in City Hall and the Quests and Good deeds in Citizen's hall, but I can see why they are there.

I do agree that it will be nice to have fresh and clean forums for the current citizens to make more of their own!

Oh, and speaking of the Zan Bestiary, I've always liked that thread myself as well. It would be great if anyone was up to the task of updating it. I do remember the old owner of the thread giving permission to anyone who wanted to make it more current and continue on with a new volume of it.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:18 am
I still haven't done anything with this. Embarassed I've been pretty busy the last couple of days. Hopefully I can take a look tomorrow. I'm still thinking about which threads I might want to start over. Sorry, but probably nothing complicated or image heavy. I'll drive myself nuts. XD I'll probably start a few games over though.

Queen of the Realm
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:46 pm
No problem -and no rush- Rayven! I understand about being busy - I still haven't gotten to fixing the Community page! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> The Great Hall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3