Handmade Gifts & Decorations (Ideas and How-To's)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Artists' Quarter [Nov.'19]
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Hello my fellow Zantarnians! I was wondering if any of you end up making hand-made gifts to give to people for Christmas/Valentine's/Other Holidays, Birthdays, Anniversaries, ect...

I know I do and I'm always looking for ideas.
Maybe share your ideas with everyone here and pick up a few new ideas of your own!

This thread is in the Artists' Quarter because I see handmade gifts as a crafty thing and many of them involve cooking/sewing/drawing/ect...

Last edited by Dusty on Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Dusty

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 pm
Tutorials
Relaxation Kit Heart
Printable Gift Tags Heart
Cute DIY Christmas Ornaments Heart
Wrapping Ideas Heart
10 Last Minute Gifts Heart

Other Ideas

keres corvax wrote:

I am really tempted this year to make Play-dough kits. for my friends. Smile

1 Jar
Combine dry ingredients into the jar.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tbs Cream of tar tar

Small Paper direction tag:
Write/print this-

Dump dry ingredients from jar into a large mixing bowl.
If using dry food color add now.
Add 1/2 cup of warm to hot water and mix to a dough like consistency.
Make many small balls, and apply small abouts of liquid food color. add flour to hands. and knead color into dough till it is consistant and does not look like it is marbled.

To the side:
One of these-
Food color tabs/ kool-aid packets/liquid food color

Depending on the food color you use for this, either put in a plastic bag you can tie or seal and place into the jar and put the jar cover on. If it is the liquid ones, wrap the small box up and tap it to your final wrapped jar.

Dusty wrote:
Candy Filled Mason Jars

4 500 mL Mason Jars
3 11 oz Bags of Candy
4 Pieces of tissue paper or cloth
4 Pieces of ribbon

1. Layer different candies inside the jar until it's full
2. Put the seal part of the lid on
3. Lay cloth over the seal
4. Put ring on and tie a bow with the ribbon

Finished Product: Heart

(Click the hearts for the link!)

Last edited by Dusty on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm
*Plops in*

Here is a place holder if you need one.

I am really tempted this year to make Play-dough kits. for my friends. Smile

1 Jar
Combine dry ingredients into the jar.
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 Tbs Cream of tar tar

Small Paper direction tag:
Write/print this-

Dump dry ingredients from jar into a large mixing bowl.
If using dry food color add now.
Add 1/2 cup of warm to hot water and mix to a dough like consistency.
Make many small balls, and apply small abouts of liquid food color. add flour to hands. and knead color into dough till it is consistant and does not look like it is marbled.

To the side:
One of these-
Food color tabs/ kool-aid packets/liquid food color

Depending on the food color you use for this, either put in a plastic bag you can tie or seal and place into the jar and put the jar cover on. If it is the liquid ones, wrap the small box up and tap it to your final wrapped jar.
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:59 pm
I've made homemade play dough before, but never with the cream of tartar...any idea what that's for, Keres?

When my son was little, we made homemade playdough ornaments. We did everything in Keres, instructions, and then flattened out the play dough in various shapes. We used a drinking straw to put a perfect hole in them for hanging. Then we baked them in the oven. No set time or temp...350 degrees is a nice generic temperature (Although it might have been lower. It's been a while), and we kept an eye on them so they wouldn't brown. Once they cooled, we strung them on ribbons or yarn and sent them out. Very Happy

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:05 pm
Thanks Keres! Very Happy

Playdough is always fun! XD I remember making it as a kid. :3

This year I made little candy jars for my brothers (I'll upload a picture in a minute. They're very simple and cost effective if you're making multiples. :3

I still have to figure out what I'm doing for Will and I's anniversary tomorrow. We'll have been dating for two years. XD I'm drawing him a picture and I'm probably printing off a picture of us and putting it in a nice frame. *shrugs* I want to do more, I'm just not too sure what I'd do. XD

Edit;;

Candy Filled Mason Jars

4 500 mL Mason Jars
3 11 oz Bags of Candy
4 Pieces of tissue paper or cloth
4 Pieces of ribbon

1. Layer different candies inside the jar until it's full
2. Put the seal part of the lid on
3. Lay cloth over the seal
4. Put ring on and tie a bow with the ribbon

Finished Product: Heart

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:26 pm

The cream of tar tar is specifically for giving it added elasticity. Smile I find that it crumbles a bit less with the cream of tar tar. That is from watching several videos of watching people make it. Then I went about at made it myself. XD

Thank you for sharing the baking instructions Paganbeer, i have always wondered bout that. Because my mother did it with my daughter and they made a couple of flowers that are a bit bigger than palm sized, and then a larger heart that she had her put her hands into. and then they baked and let them cool. After that they painted on them. Very Happy

About how long would you say that you leave them in for?

You are welcome Dusty Smile It really is fun, I need to make some more for my daughter as well as she mas been asking for some to play with.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:07 pm
That's awesome!

I have to put together a couple of last minute gifts, so I'm looking for ideas again.
I need something for someone who A) Doesn't like getting expensive gifts and B) Is difficult to shop for. XD
I'm thinking about putting together a coffee/book reader's basket. Maybe a Barnes and Noble Gift Card with some coffee beans, mugs, and bookmarks?
I'm not too sure yet. XD But I'll come up with something.

I just finished my mom's stocking earlier. Heart

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:50 am

XD I'm terrible when it come up for last minute gift ideas.

Though I did just make a Christmas tree for my daughter by crocheting it. It was mostly single chains and some double chains.: http://fav.me/d6yqd8k

Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 am
I really like that tree Keres... :3

This was my last minute handmade gift for Christmas this year, for the gift exchange my family does...
http://fav.me/d6zeehk

I started it on the 22nd and finished on the 23rd and gave it away last night... It was pretty easy, basically just a long, skinny hat with handles, lol...

Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:55 am
That is a really cute wine holder Shugga. Very Happy it makes me want to make one for my mother. lol Though hers would need to be big enough to fit a wine box in, lol.
Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm
I have a somewhat cheap, but still handmade thoughtful gift. Making your own ornaments.

You need:
Pipe cleaners
Pony beads
Ribbon

You take one pipe cleaner and put a loop on one end, then tie your ribbon through it. Try and make the ribbon long enough to loop around something. Then string on your beads. When you've put on enough, twist it up into a circle, and fasten it around the first loop.

I've managed to do double-looped ones, and so far everyone I gave one to seemed to really like them. 83c

(I also do dream catchers, but those are complicated, and more time consuming.)

I draw! Look me up on dA: LainaInverse
Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:14 pm
Thanks Keres... :3
And that would be awesome, you should do it and make a hole for the spout part... XD

Laina, homemade ornaments are a great Christmas gift...
:3

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:18 pm
These are all great guys! Very Happy

I just got some tye-dyed floss, so I'll be makings some tye-dyed friendship bracelets soon! I'll post some pictures when I get them done. :3

Another nice gift for anyone in school or with an office:
Home-Made Dry-Erase Board!

2 Overhead Projector Sheets (or one and a cardboard back)
1 Sheet of Scrapbooking Paper/Patterned Paper that is the same size as the Overhead Sheet
Duct Tape (Any color, patterns look great!)
Scissors (for tape cutting)
Dry-Erase Marker

Steps
1. Place the shiny side of the overhead sheet against the scrap booking paper (the patterned side), and then place the cardboard/other overhead sheet on the back of the paper.
2. Line them up (trim if needed), and then tape the corners
3. Write on the board and enjoy!

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:46 pm
[img]http://static.spoonful.com/sites/default/files/styles/square_420x420/public/recipes/best-hot-cocoa-mix-christmas-recipe-photo-420-FF1203KITCHA03.jpg?itok=hT9gwrjW
[/img]
Enjoy a delicious cup of hot cocoa while you watch Richie Rich's Christmas Wish tonight at 7pm/6c on ABC Family. Part of ABC Family’s Countdown to 25 Days of Christmas!

The secret ingredient in this mix is the mini chocolate chips, which melt when combined with the boiling water and give the cocoa an extra-rich flavor. The recipe makes enough for four gift-size portions, each of which can be measured into a small plastic bag and tucked into a cup or mug filled with mini marshmallows, candy stick stirrers, and a spoon. Wrap each filled gift cup in cellophane and don't forget to include a tag with the following instructions: "Spoon 3 or 4 generous tablespoons of cocoa mix into your cup (depending on the size), add boiling water, and stir well."

What you'll need
2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
1/8 teaspoon salt
How to make it
Measure all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk them until they are evenly blended.

Store the mix in a tightly covered container at room temperature until you're ready to package it. Makes about 4 cups of mix.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm
Rakurai wrote:
Picture

Very cool Rakurai! I need to get back into making more gifts like this. My mom and I used to do cookies, cakes, and hot chocolate in jars that we'd send out to our family/friends. :3

I'm trying to see if I can hunt down the instructions for the aromatherapy neck pillows that my mom and I used to make. :3

Page 1 of 2