Google chose Cesar Chavez over Easter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:56 pm
Let me start by saying that for as long as I remember, I have used Google as my search engine of choice. . .but starting today, I am looking for a new search engine.

Today, the people at Google chose to honor a leftist labor thug instead of the most Holiest of Days in the Christian Calendar. . .Today they made a choice to slap the face of millions of people worldwide by ignoring Easter!

Is there anyone else out there who thinks Google may have committed suicide by ignoring Easter?

Am I over-dramatizing this?

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:11 pm
Well I'm non-religious so I had no such issues with their choice... I was surprised though because I did expect an Easter themed doodle...
Also, according to what I have just read, Google hasn't even used an Easter themed doodle since 2000...
http://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/News/google-doodle-honors-cesar-chavez-stirs-controversy/story?id=18850117#.UVh59xyk8w0

To each his own, but I wouldn't change to a different, obviously lower quality search engine over something like that... But since I'm non-religious and didn't even grow up with religion maybe I don't understand whats so upsetting to everyone about it...

And to be honest I really didn't know a lot about the man but from what I've read this morning, he sounded like an alright guy... I mean, he fasted for 25 days to protest for nonviolence, boycotted the use of pesticides on grapes, wanted fair pay for farmers, etc, that just doesn't sound like a thug to me...
Shrug

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:40 pm
It wasn't always non-violent. . .but then again the far left has re-written most of history. . .they honor people like Chavez and Che Guevara. . .they have added notes in our history books that say the moon landing may have been faked; that the US was responsible for the 9/11 attacks. . .they list the Constitution, but leave out the words ". . .Endowed by Our Creator. . ."

They even are releasing a new movie that honors the terrorist Weather Underground. . .who were responsible for bombings of police stations and government offices in the 7o's and the killings of Americans.

I know, I sound like a conspiracy-theorist, but talk to people who lived during those days. . .things are changing and not all of those things are for the better.

and sometimes all we can do to show our displeasure is to move on. . .it is the only thing these big companies understand. . .though I haven't found a search engine as comfortable. . .sometimes we have to leave our comfort zone.

I am not religious, but I find it funny that Google did 'celebrate' St. Patty's Day, but not Easter. . .

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 pm
Well, I'm on the left, but not fully, I have some conservative beliefs on things such as gun control but I won't go into that... But I do fully believe in separation of church and state so the "endowed by our creator" thing doesn't bother me as much... I think people fail to realize that this wasn't a Christian nation before it was taken from the natives to this land... It isn't fair to come into one's homeland, take it over, then claim it as a nation of your religion and force everyone to just go with it... Those of us without religion or those who aren't Christian also have feelings also and just as you feel excluded by Google for not honoring it, don't you think we feel that way when our beliefs are constantly excluded???

Anyways, thats not the point I wanted to make, I went off tangent a bit, sorry...
For me, its their choice as a company to put up whatever they want... We use their services for free every single day and have never had to pay them a dime for all that we use them for, so why do they owe it to us to also put up the images we want on certain days??? I guess I just see it as a google doodle, nothing to get worked up over... We all know google is a far superior search engine and to go with something we all know to be lesser just seems silly to me, ya know???

And why all the fuss now when they haven't done an Easter doodle in 13 years???

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:55 pm
Why does the obvious need to be picked and celebrated?
It is obviously Easter, you, me, the religious people already know about the holiday.

I kinda like the idea of "hey this day is important to you but guess what else happened on this day?"

Google is about finding information.

As for Saint Patrick day well a lot of people where killed in war, not so nice. Though maybe they could have pointed out that Macbeth was premiered on that day.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 pm
Moon, thats kinda how I see it... Plus, Easter falls on different dates right??? And this date is always Cesar Chavez's birthday, so why not use it???

And I like that idea for St.Patrick's Day, I don't think that they shouldn't use St.Patrick's for the doodle, but different info on things we didn't know like the Macbeth thing would be cool...
Yes

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:31 pm
Why now and not 13 years ago. . .I didn't have a computer 13 years ago and this year it was more noticeable, because they chose to honor Chavez. . .who is not a hero to everyone. . .

And I am getting pretty sick of the majority having to bow to the whims of everyone else. . .like the Principal in Alabama who doesn't want anyone saying "Easter" bunny or "Easter " Egg, because it might offend someone. . .it is like taking the Christ out of Christmas.

I have Jewish friends who are not offended by me saying "Merry Christmas"; just as I am not offended by them wishing me a Happy Hannukah". . .at one time this country celebrated its differences, shared its differences and now everyone has to be so PC. . .and in being PC, they want everyone to be the same. . .

I don't mind Google celebrating whatever they want, it just seemed really, really odd that they chose to honor Chavez. . .

Why not Franz Joseph Haydn, or Shirley Jones, or Christopher Walken, or Al Gore. . .all of them were born on March 31st?

(And I have to say, if you have conservative views on only one thing. . .I am glad it is gun control.)

Note ". . .endowed by their Creator. . ." is IN the Constitution, to print the words of the Constitution and not include them is wrong (whether you believe in God or not).

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:01 pm
The majority? Really? I didn't know 33% was a majority.

I agree with you about not saying what Holiday you celebrate. I fallow the same rule I fallow on the internet with time zones. You say yours I'll say mine.

As for why I don't know. I looked it up but all I am getting is a bunch of people going on about how this is wrong. Wile using quite nasty language wile they are at it. About how the world is hating on Jesus and how they don't care for goodness. Never minding that Cesar Chavez has a charity. Never mind that you can look at far more goodness in the world if you don't limit yourself to one individual and realize all the things you can be doing right now.

I can't help but ask if Easter is so important to be recognized why are those people on google at all? Why are they not with their family, at church, or with friends?

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 pm
Not sure where you get the 33% figure. . .the latest poll I saw said that around 70 - 80% of Americans say they are Christians.

Not everyone who has a charity is charitable. . .

That group that is on using nasty language and all are always on, unfortunately. . .from both sides.

No one ever said that there wasn't more goodness in the world. . .but unfortunately there is also much evil (much of it in the name of one religion or another)

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 pm
Scarz, I may not be religious but I don't mind religious holidays and even talking about them in school and places... I don't think that it needs to be separated to that extent, I even think that if a child wants to pray in school or read their bible in school then they should be allowed... Just because its not my thing doesn't mean I don't respect the beliefs of others... No
I just don't think there should be any laws in place that are put in place because of religious beliefs...

And a Christopher Walken doodle would totally please me, lol, but it was just their choice, whoever was in charge of approving or choosing the doodle for today just liked Chavez and thats alright with me...

I can agree with the constitution comment, whether or not I agree with the creator part, it was in the Constitution so it should still be present, it shouldn't be just removed from history... I want to know of things as they really happened and removing that goes against that... Yes

And I just want to say that I don't believe at all that it was an intentional slap in the face to not use Easter as a doodle... If I were in charge I probably wouldn't have either but that doesn't mean I don't respect it... I think everyone has become so uptight over the differences in beliefs that we all have that every little thing comes off as an attack... I think it was just someone's choice to pay homage to someone they respect and since Google obviously hasn't done Easter doodles in thirteen years, why not go with something like Chavez???
Shrug

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:32 pm
33% figure is for the world. It may be that for Americans Christianity is the largest group. At the same time this is the internet which connects many parts of the world and I will recognize that.

As for the rest what you said it is obvious and means nothing. Of course there is evil of course people use nasty languages on ether side. There is a big but here. The holiday they are up in arms about not being recognized is not being recognized by the people who are up in arms about it. Easter, as a Christian holiday, is about a humble man who showed kindness and respect for all.

If those who believe in the holiday do not act in his image the holiday means bull ****. And I do say that with the utmost harshness and judgement.

What I have seen about this issue shows an image means more then the teachings of their faith.

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm
I can ask the same question, why go with Chavez, when there are so many others out there that were born on March 31st? Many of whom would not have offended anyone. . .and i agree, it would have been cool to see what kind of google doodle they would have done for Christopher Walken.

Funny how they never did a Chavez doodle before. . .guess this is the first time it landed on Easter.

They did have one other google on March 31st, in 2011. . .

March 31, 2011
Robert Bunsen's 200th Birthday

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:01 pm
Like I said before I was surprised to see the Chavez doodle instead of Easter, but at the same time I thought, "huh, neat" cause it was different and because of it I learned more about him...
I honestly didn't even notice they hadn't done Easter ones since 2000, I think it was just the fact that it was Chavez and not Easter that made everyone notice and some people flip out...

And of course something that wouldn't offend people would be great but I think no matter what image they use on any day, there will always be someone who isn't happy with it...

Also, its not like Google is anti-religion or anything, they still do Christmas if I remember correctly...

I'd like it if they always did different doodles, I like to learn from each one about stuff I didn't know about, like Moon said, google is about info...

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:13 pm
I think it really is because of who they chose.

I have loved a lot of the google doodles, especially the gif ones. . .the one for Robert Bunsen is pretty slick.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 am
Perhaps google just didn't want to do the Easter type logo because the holiday is kind of oh how do I say it.
Not what everyone thinks it is to begin with.

Easter wasn't originally a Christian holiday. It was actually a Pagan spring fertility sex holiday. Originally spelled Ishtar, still sounding like Easter.
Ishtar is the fertility goddess of Babylon. her symbols are rabbits and eggs, which are signs of fertility.

A lot of christian holidays have Pagan roots.
http://www.retakingamerica.com/easter_and_ishtar.html

Also I never really payed attention to the google logos.

Ishtar is always on a Sunday.

The Resurrection day should technically be on one day, not moving all around all over the place.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3