Good Omens. . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

"Funny thing is," said Crawly, "I keep wondering whether the apple thing wasn't the right thing to do, as well. A demon can get into real trouble, doing the right thing." He nudged the angel. "Funny if we both got it wrong, eh? Funny if I did the good thing and you did the bad one, eh?"

"Not really," said Aziraphale.

Crawly looked at the rain.

"No," he said, sobering up. "I suppose not."
--------------------------
Has anyone else watched "Good Omens" on Amazon? To tell the truth, I only watched it because David Tennant (the 10th Doctor) was in it, and after watching, I realized how many people in it and the writers had connections to Doctor Who.

It's odd and quirky and funny and strange all at the same time. I was only going to watch the first episode, but before I knew it, I had watched it all.

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:53 pm
Yes, I've read the book ... twice; once several years ago, once much more recently, and I've watched the mini-series. It was good, and even more surprisingly, the mini-series stayed pretty true (~90%?) to the book (although perhaps not since Neil Gaiman was producing the series, and, I think, wrote the screenplay for it). Definitely worth watching Yes

And David Tennant as Crowley? Wow! He did such an awesome job... that demon swagger of his! Shocked Heart ... and what was really funny in the mini-series was some of the obscure references to other things that Tennant has performed in over the years - Hamlet, for example. Yes
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 pm
I love the little touches of the old. . .Tennant was called "Doctor" in the hospital and Adam's dad's car license plate was "SID RAT", TARDIS backwards.

Also, so many of the people in the series had been in Doctor Who (including the "Community Watch guy" ). but then again, being shot in the UK it is hard to find anyone who hasn't been on that series.

At first I didn't like Tennant's swagger, but it really suited his demon self. The interplay between him and the angel throughout history was hilarious.

SPOILER ALERT

There were a few things I didn't understand, Having "Michael" as a woman? and why did it appear that she was working with Devil?

I never even had heard of the book, but it is good to know that they stayed pretty close to the book. Was there only one book, or a series of them?

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:51 pm
I haven't seen it but it sounds interesting. To be honest, every time I hear or see the "D" word I cringe. Religious upbringing and all. I was taught a healthy fear of them, and not to talk or think about them. They crop up in a lot of my fantasy movies and books, but I have a slightly easier time of it when they are just calling some evil creature that. When it's about the Biblical kind I have a rough time. Embarassed

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:31 am
Just one book... 367 pages - at least in the version I have on my shelf. It was co-written by Terry Pratchett... and written before either of them became known the way they are now. If you know both authors' style, you can see the interplay and influences when you read the book, but together, the styles are pretty seamless and it makes for a great story, with some great humor.

I think having some of the angels be presented as female -like Michael- when they're traditionally assumed to be male (by the church) is just a nod to the true nature and genuine description of them being much more genderless (& also bringing things into the modern age)

And yes, there were a lot of humorous references to things more modern (like Tennant's various roles) in the movie if you caught them. I kept having this feeling that Gaiman chose... even strong-armed Tennant in to taking the part (not that I can envision Tennant ever saying "no" to this!)
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:55 am
SPOILER ALERT. . .

I did like that the "angels" were not quite as "holy" as one would expect, but I am not a fan of bringing things into the "modern age". . .I feel they may have destroyed Doctor Who by making the Doctor a woman (it was ghastly, though through no fault of Jodie's, the writing was horrid).

I had heard that when they had started talking about this project, Gaiman only wanted Tennant to play Crawley. . .it really worked as he was perfect.

I had heard of Michael Sheen and I think I even saw a few of his movies. I know he was the voice of "House" in an episode called "The Doctor's Wife" written by Neil Gaiman, so there was another Doctor Who connection.

I loved this quote about Crawley, too. . ."He'd been an angel once. He hadn't meant to Fall. He'd just hung around with the wrong people." kind of perfect, too *smiles*

Lady Rayven, I know what you mean, I spent 12 years in Catholic School with the nuns. . .they definitely put the fear of God in you.

I don't think there is anything in the story that would test your Faith.

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Scarz wrote:
I don't think there is anything in the story that would test your Faith.

I agree. Non-traditionally-gender-represented angels and them not being quite so polarized in their roles (not absolutely evil/good) is about it. Oh, and there's a witch or two in the story. But there's nothing particularly challenging to a traditional christian upbringing about any of it, IMO.

It's a good story.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:48 pm
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out if I get the chance. Very Happy

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 am
I think everybody on here knows that I am a huge Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett fan, both of them are among my most favourite authors of all time. :3

Good Omens was the first book that I actually read by both of them and it was my gateway to further works of theirs, so the mini series to me was quite a special thing to look forward to.

I loved everything about the mini series, I was a bit disappointed that they left out bits and pieces such as the other four riders of the Apocalypse and I didn't quite agree with the actors that played Anathema and Pulsifer, as both the actor and actress are way to good looking for their roles in my opinion but these are really minor things.

There are so many other things to love about the series. I loved David Tennant and his portrayal of Crowley, I think he was channeling Bill Nighy, as many other people have remarked in their reviews. The pairing with Michael Seen as Aziraphale and their chemistry on screen is brilliant. Luffles

I don't know if any of you know but David Tennant has a podcast and there is an episode when he was chatting to Michael Sheen about Good Omens and bits and pieces in between. I highly recommend you check it out, not just that episode but the entire podcast, David Tennant is pretty fantastic in his choice of guests. :3

There are so many other things that I wanted to write about but I could gush for hours, as like I said, to me, this was quite a special thing, so I'll stop now. XD

Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 am
Professor, gush away. . . I haven't read the book and I loved this series. . .a lot of the casting seemed absolutely perfect and I really loved the little "Doctor Who" touches, right down to Sheen's connection to one of Gaiman's stories (Sheen was the voice of "House" in "The Doctor's wife"). . .I went in to it to check it out and came away loving it.

Queen of the Realm
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 pm
So is it just me, or am I seeing more marketing "out there" for this series in the last few days than I have previously? Confused
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:19 pm
They have been saturating the market since around the beginning of May; first in anticipation and then after the 31st, pushing it after so many good reviews came in. . .

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:21 pm
So it's not just me. It seems like there's more marketing for it now, though, than before.
Shrug
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:54 pm
Since you mentioned it, I have seen it more often, and now on every news site on the internet, the "Good Omens" ads are playing like crazy.

Queen of the Realm
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:10 pm
I have ad blockers installed, so I'm not seeing too many ads for the series online, but I am seeing them just about everywhere... which somehow seems to cheapen it for me. It's a good series - definitely worth watching- but all the ads... No ... don't like that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2