[ Zan Project ] - Edingtol's Gates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 7, 8, 9  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Zantarni Discussion [Nov.'19]
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:23 am
*snuggles Jamr back* I really like Jamr's idea of videos. I understand that we must wait until the changes Blaze spoke of are finished to begin making videos. I'd like to combine Jamr's ideas for videos with my idea of a sidebar. Not unlike Sir Meldrick's tips that pop up, only this would stay to the side until closed by an X and could also be reopened by pressing the X again. On this sidebar it could be called something like "Zantarni Learning Tools", and list all of the how to videos. It could even have links to the Zandex, etc. This way all new citizens are bound to see the videos/other links and click on them. If they don't, then that is their choice. I realize that some older citizens might find this annoying, but it could be closed out by clicking on the X. It might not hurt for older citizens to watch the videos too though, and/or refresh themselves on the rules, etc. Very Happy Is this possible Blaze, or even a good idea?
Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:14 pm
I think that is a wonderful idea. Having the X or even perhaps something in Account Settings to turn it off would be a good idea too. Yes

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm
Thank you Jamr. I considered the Account Settings, but I was afraid that might be harder to figure out. XD

Queen of the Realm
Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:19 pm
Rayven: not a sidebar, but included in the "Help" section of the navigation. This whole Section should be fleshed out to actually provide the help the new citizens need (but I can't do that, by myself, and work on everything else the site needs; but that's the whole reason for these Project threads!). This is where we should be directing the new players for information (the Zandex will eventually become obsolete).

The Gates themselves (that forum) should emphasize the concepts of welcoming new players and providing them both the location of information (via the Help section) as well as providing an opportunity for them to chat with established players, get a better feel for the site (such as Staff interacting with them), and giving them a chance to ask questions... maybe fielding some of the "newbie" questions that we see posted at the Library all the time.

In other words, this:

Scarz wrote:
To me, the biggest thing is to let the newcomers know that they are welcome and to let them know what help is available to them. . . .charities, mining and fishing guides, the rules of the site; and to let them know that they can ask questions without getting their heads bitten off.

Jamr: we don't need to post a dictionary. That's a bit out of scope for this project, out of scope for Zantarni, and will just get .... complicated. Dead

Videos: you can do them, just realize that in a few months' time, they may become obsolete. Until that time, it may be good practice at putting them together and organizing the information within them (so it actually helps the new players!) and will provide some assistance to them until the changes are effected.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:48 pm
Ok Blaze! I have several help videos in mind and one of them I can do because unless you plan on changing the Knights around on me anytime soon. Razz Nothing crazy just like a Word thing saying Who Are the Staff of Zantarni and listing the names and titles of each staff member. Yes
Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:41 pm
Jamr516 wrote:
Have fun Liz and look out for glomping snowbunnies. I hear they are becoming dangerous in certain parts of the world. Yes XD *glomps joo and runs away*

Whoa. Such irony!
There are rabbits EVERYWHERE in Lincoln, Nebraska! DX
It's amazing. ^^;

Anyhow, I'm back. :3
I've read back, and I can't figure out what to say quite yet, so I'm going to dwell upon what has been discussed. xx
Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm
Your welcome. :3 So didn't know that was where you were going just decided to be silly. D: XD
Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 pm
Jamr516 wrote:
Ok Blaze! I have several help videos in mind and one of them I can do because unless you plan on changing the Knights around on me anytime soon. Razz Nothing crazy just like a Word thing saying Who Are the Staff of Zantarni and listing the names and titles of each staff member. Yes

Good idea, but this is in the wrong section. This video should be in the FAQ/ Help thread. (Under "Staff of Zantarni") Yes

The Gates are meant to be uber, uber basic.
  • We want to welcome them (obviously! XD)and let them to know the staff and players are always available to help
  • A notice that they *need* to read our rules as they are in many ways different from other sites would also not go amiss.
  • We also should provide them with links to the overviewing pages that will help them navigate Zan (Such as the FAQ, the Main Forum and Towns pages -- No details!! Those can be found by following the links.)
  • Activities available (posting, mining/ fishing, deeds and games)
  • And maybe a quick "Check out the Charities to help you get a start!" without a link but instructions to check out the top of the page (To get them used to checking out the subforums)

Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:58 pm
Tisiel Laughing I know but Blaze was refrencing the videos I plan to make for both the Edingtol and the Newbie Guides to help New Citizens. I was only naming the one I could do now. XD *snuggles joo*

Queen of the Realm
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 pm
How's it going over here?
*pokes*

Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 pm
*pokes Blaze* It's going slow but I am determined to finalize it soon. :3
Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:32 am
I had an idea for the Edigntol gates.

Have a banner that says "Welcome New Travelers to Zantarni" and each main point can be typed up in medieval scrolls.

Just pitching ideas here.
Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 pm
Ivy that is a wonderful idea.
Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:36 pm
Or another idea is have a banner of a medieval gate that says Edingtol across the middle or top, or have the words Zantarni instead. The title of the newbie place is called Edingtol Gates so why not make a banner fitting for the name of the forum? XD
Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 am
I agree with you! We should make a banner for that.
Page 8 of 9