Doctor Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:23 pm
After watching This, I kind of wish Bradley Walsh was the Doctor, IMHO.
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:49 am
I'm very glad he isn't. I've seen him in quite a few different shows, and there's something about him that makes me uncomfortable. Slightly creepy fellow. Bad enough him being in DW at all, let alone being the Doctor…

Defender of the Realm
Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:31 pm
I haven't seen him in anything, so I will go with your opinion and withdraw my wish. . .although, the clip made him feel more in touch than Jodie is.
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am
Now that the updated theme has been played in full, it is growing on me… albeit slowly. Somewhat to my surprise (and relief…), after watching the second episode, the new Doctor is also growing on me …she may actually BE the Doctor after all! If the first episode hadn't been so disappointing, I suppose I might have been less doubtful. Anyhow, let's hope it's a good sign for the rest of the season…

The new Tardis will take some getting used to -- but it may be OK. I preferred an earlier design to the Twelfth Doctor's tech-y Tardis anyway, so this new one has ample time to grow on me! This design for the Thirteenth Doctor works with old-fashioned levers and buttons… and egg-timers… and it even has a biscuit generator! Really, what's not to like?

The trio that constantly dog the Doctor's heels still irritate me a bit -- why isn't ONE companion enough? They don't seem to have enough to offer as individuals to make all three contributions necessary… but again, maybe I am being impatient and time will tell.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

Episode 3 Trailer -- Next Time: Rosa

Defender of the Realm
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:32 pm
10/15/18

I am not a fan of the opening sequence, it seems more appropriate for "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" than Doctor Who (an no TARDIS). I guess the music will grow on me.

I am not a fan of the new TARDIS. . .in that BBC says it is more organic. . .I do not think of crystals when I hear organic, I also heard it referred to as "Steam Punk" like Eccleston's and Tennant's. . .I guess it is more like theirs than Smith's or Capaldi's.

The biscuit generator is a clever touch, but I really hate them using the 3 sides of the inner Police Box like a foyer or mud room for the TARDIS, to me it is almost like the actual TARDIS interior was like an after thought. and what is with the spinning crystal miniature TARDIS on the console, isn't that something you can buy currently?

As to Jodie's Doctor, she definitely showed more promise with the little things, like getting Ryan to think about the properties of acetylene as he climbed the ladder and her joy at hearing and seeing the TARDIS appear. The "come to Daddy or Mummy", showed that she is still dealing with her regeneration and when she told the TARDIS that she lost the key and the door popped open, it showed that TARDIS accepted her without question.

There is a line from the first episode that came back to haunt her in the second. . .when she said the sonic screwdriver was "like a Swiss army knife, without the knife. . .only idiots carry knives". Thank goodness for the "idiot" with the knife or the man would have died.
------------

the scene where the Doctor greets the TARDIS. . .

The Doctor: Hello, you. I’ve missed you. {seeing the new sign} Oh! You’ve done yourself up. Very nice. Lost my key. Sorry. {the door opens}

(I guess if the TARDIS can accept Jodie as the Doctor, so can I)

[/quote]
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm
I don't mind the new Tardis interior so much, but the theme music really has been altered a little bit too much for my liking. It has grown on me a bit, but it just isn't 'right'. *sigh*

After watching the third episode, I fear my enthusiasm of last week may have been a tad premature. Maybe I was just so relieved after the disappointment of the opening episode, to see some similarity to the Doctor emerge at last. However… three episodes in, and she still lacks authority as the Doctor. I keep thinking of The Sarah Jane Adventures while watching this series. This time-traveller and her gaggle of friends would appear to be a better fit for that. Maybe this series is just going to be rather patchy…

In any case, I may have to give the next episode a miss, because of the content (spider alert).

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

Defender of the Realm
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm
**SPOILERS**

I truly hate the new interior, the crystals make it look all plastic and more like a game show stage than the TARDIS. and I really am not a fan of the "Police Box" porch/mudroom, foyer. . .it just looks wrong.

In this episode, the Doctor(?) seems to be more of a member of the gang, than she does the Doctor, especially when compiling info on rosa Parks. . .the info would have been way more easier to get through the TARDIS than searching through phone books, bus schedules and newspaper ads. Her excuse of not wanting to go back to the TARDIS because she didn't want to take the chance of running into the bad guy was a lame excuse to me. Besides she could have used the "Swiss Army Sonic" to gather the info from the TARDIS.

The fact that the bad guy had spent time in "Stormcage", gave the Doctor(?) a chance to mention that she knew someone special who had spent time there was a missed opportunity to connect old and new Doctors.

There was a bit of good acting by Ryan and Graham. . .
When Ryan met Dr. Martin Luther King and all he showed real joy.

Graham realizing that he was the one who caused Rosa Parks to have to give up her seat was a bit painful to watch, especially after telling about how him and Grace met.

The show really had more of the feel of Quantum Leap or Voyagers about it, than of Doctor Who.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:36 pm
Nema on Wed Oct 24 wrote:
Interesting comparisons you make to other shows… This new season of DW has put me in mind of a couple of DW spin-offs, Class and The Sarah Jane Adventures, and also the TV show Timeless, which features 3–4 regular main characters who go off on a new time travel adventure every week. This last episode especially reminded me of that, as it had a very similar scenario to some that the Timeless crew have faced… makes me think that the storylines for this season seem, to some extent at least, derivative.

The current DW season seems to be sadly lacking any sense of its own history. The "Doctor" has a Tardis and a sonic screwdriver… but very little else to show any link with her predecessors. The big, creative storylines, clever, snappy dialogue and strong, running themes of previous seasons are nowhere to be seen. Nor have we yet seen a truly credible Doctor.

What a pity…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

I gave Episode 4 a judicious swerve due to the potential for random spider sightings, but here's the trailer for next week, which I will quite possibly watch…

Episode 5: The Tsuranga Conundrum

Defender of the Realm
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:02 am
10/28/18

If you do not like spiders, this was not the episode to watch. . .

I really hate the new interior of the TARDIS, though they showed something I hadn't seen before, the Gallifreyan symbols that soun above the console on Capaldi's TARDIS, now circle around the base of the console platform.

I don't like the changes to the theme or the opening sequence. the episode seemed more like a very old Doctor adventure or something that Torchwood would have done. . .
-------------------

*sighs* So far it seems like the arc of the new series may be the Doctor trying to find the TARDIS!!!

I really think Chibnall is killing the series. . .

Parts of the spaceship look like they would have made better looking TARDIS control rooms. . .its control room looked like an update of the original TARDIS control panel and the antimatter room would have made a great rotor. . .

Here's a preview of next week's show.

Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Nema on Mon Nov 05 wrote:
Scarz wrote:
I really think Chibnall is killing the series. . .

I really wish I didn't agree, but I'm struggling to find any reason not to. *sigh* I'll keep watching for now, but the life seems to have been sucked out of it. It seems routine, nothing special any more. As for the "Doctor", she just seems one of the "team", not the person at the centre, holding it all together.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The latest episode, Demons of the Punjab, was serviceable, if a tad bit preachy at times… but the preachiness seems to be a regular feature of this new season. *sigh* This show is not the DW I remember… it now feels a bit like a soap opera with a random bit of time travel thrown in…

** NEWS **

Trailer for Episode 7: Kerblam!

Defender of the Realm
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:10 pm
I have to say that this was the best of the new Doctor's adventures. . .which isn't saying much. It seemed like a much older episode of the Doctor (but I can't place my finger on it). I also agree it does come off abit preachy at times, which I feared would happen with Chibnall in charge.

We saw a few more views from different angles of the interior of the TARDIS and it looks even more horrid than I thought. . .it is bad enough the "crystal" in the center of the console wiggles, we now see the upper tips of those dreadful columns move too! *shakes head*

I was also surprised that the Doctor didn't start preaching to the groom about him using the rifle to shoot at the "Demons", as she has already done the preachy, "hate gun" thing a few times now.

I am not sure if Yaz's Grandma also met the Doctor, Graham and Ryan, whether she would remember them being there for her first wedding. . .she seemed to be very clear headed for someone who had to be in her 90's.

Matt Smith's tweekiness, herky-jerky movements and such took awhile to get used to. . .but Jodie's gurning, goofy faces at almost anything is a bit too much. . .

I also did not like the music at the end. . .I saw someone say it was a variation of the theme song, if so, it was terrible!
-------

The preview for next week reminds me of s few other episodes of the good Doctor. . .and one of Sarah Jane's Adventures. . .we will have to wait and see where it goes.

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:17 pm
You mentioned that the traditional Christmas Special would move to New Year. More change for the sake of it, in my opinion.

Yes, I am still being negative, but still watching… for now. >____>

Defender of the Realm
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:37 pm
I believe Chibnall, by switching it to New Year's, he is making a statement that this isn't your Mother or Father's Doctor Who. . .*sighs*. . .unfortunately to most fans, that is already evident.
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 am
Well, here's a turn-up for the books (or as we're in Edingtol, maybe that should be turnip… *chuckle*): I enjoyed the latest episode! Yes, you heard it here first… I am not complaining about Kerblam!, and I actually enjoyed it. It was rather reminiscent of an older episode, but not too much, there were a couple more nods to the Doctor's previous "selves" thrown in, along with use of another traditional tool-of-the-trade (if you're a Timelord) -- the psychic paper that shows a credible identity for wherever the Doctor might turn up -- and she actually seemed like she might be the Doctor in this episode… rather than just another team member rushing around like a headless chicken.

Are things looking up at last? Who knows…

** NEWS **

Trailer for Episode 8: The Witchfinders

Defender of the Realm
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:27 pm
I definitely have to agree, this was the most Doctor Who-like episode, so far. There was definitely a nod to who the Doctor had been, like when the fez arrived, she said "Is it still me?" and the mention of meeting Agatha Christie after Yaz asked her if she poked wasps nest as a kid. . .

I saw a bit of a few episodes in this one (Planet of the Ood and Rose (with the Autons); and though the Doctor was more Doctorish, she still has a tendency to wave the Sonic Screwdriver about like it is a magic wand. . .too much.

So far, of all the episodes this series, this is probably the only one I would watch again. I do wish, at the end, they would have shown Yaz returning the necklace to the man who took her place's daughter, rather than just asking if she could.

I do have a question. . .why did it take so long. . .or did it take a story NOT written by Chibnall to do it?

Page 24 of 25