Doctor Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 pm
I think with the New Doctor,there is going to be a change of pace in the show but hopefully, not too many other changes.

I have seen Jodie in a couple of other BBC dramas and I think she's a rather good actress. Definitely memorable in her performances. At least for me.

Is she Doctor material though? That is the question.

We continue to fret and anticipate. :3

Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm
My fear is that she will not be as connected to the other Doctors. . .if she shows that connection to those who came before and those Who may come, there is a chance.

I also fear, because of the diverse group of companions they will have, that most things that go sour will be blamed on the "old, white guy". . .I say this because of Chibnall's reputation for diversity. . .

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:00 pm
I like Jodie Whittaker as an actress in other dramas, but I am undecided as to whether she is The Doctor. I also don't really welcome this new 'team' of companions who are to accompany her… why does she need so much backup? It feels like too many changes all at the same time, but we shall see…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

Meanwhile, there is to be a new logo for the show.

Defender of the Realm
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:36 am
I guess they want to make sure that people know that there has been a change . . . but is there a hidden sign in that new logo?

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:15 am
I really hope that is coincidence… but I fear it may not be. Oh dear.

Defender of the Realm
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 pm
I have been watching the 13 Days of the Doctor on BBC America, leading up to the first episode with the new Doctor on Sunday and though they have been showing some of the greatest episodes of the new era, I am very upset that they are NOT going to show ANY of Peter Capaldi's episodes, including the one where he regenerates into Jodie Whittaker!!!!

How the hell can you NOT include the regeneration that leads to such a dramatic change to the story of the Doctor???

I truly want to give Jodie a chance, but for the network to decide to leave out ALL of the Peter Capaldi's episodes is unthinkable!!! This is a slap at Capaldi and is unacceptable. I do not understand their reasoning for not including him as many of his episodes were such fun.

I was always going to watch Jodie, but I have stopped watching the 13 days as they do not include one of my favorite Doctors. . .

Knight of Zantarni
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:31 pm
That sounds like an odd programming decision, my Love… *shakes head* It would make sense to show at least the last few of the Capaldi episodes, leading up to the regeneration and the arrival of the new Doctor… but what do WE know? *chuckles*

I will watch the new season opener on Sunday and hope for the best… I would love for my misgivings to be wrong, and for Whittaker to turn out to be a great new Doctor… I suppose they sort of paved the way for this transformation when The Master regenerated into Missy… no going back now… *chuckles*

On the UK BBC iPlayer, all summer they have had 146 episodes available, starting from the first Christopher Eccleston episode and working forwards, ending with the Capaldi / Whittaker regeneration. Now that makes sense to me!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

I really should add these in advance of the new season…

Defender of the Realm
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:25 pm
*sighs* it appears they showed some of Capaldi's episodes during the first days of the "13 Days". . .talk about doing this backasswards. . .

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm
Nema on Sun Oct 07 wrote:
So, a hapless TV presenter, while announcing that the new season gets under way tonight, stated confidently that Doctor Who started in 2005. Eh, what? Try 1963… the Doctor was travelling long before Eccleston! Don't these people do ANY research? *chuckles*

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

Found a couple of earlier clips that I meant to post here, but forgot…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** SPOILERS **

Not long after crash-landing through the roof of a train carriage, the newly-arrived alien said she was "looking for a Doctor". So was I, and in this first episode, I failed to find one. The episode took quite a while to become at all interesting; for what felt like a long time, it plodded on, tedious and unremarkable (I might have been watching a run-of-the-mill soap), but, fortunately, things improved (slowly) as time went on, and I will watch again next week, to see if the show comes into its own.

There were a few new regular characters to introduce, and this seemed to result in having too many random people rushing about, with an all-too-obvious lack of a central "Doctor presence" holding it all together. It reminded me in some ways of Class, the DW spin-off series (except that Class was better than this!).

The theme tune, only played at the end this week, has been messed about rather a lot, and will take some getting used to. I enjoyed the previous revisions of the theme, which invested it with a freshness, but retained the essence of the original; this version feels like it may have strayed too far for my liking. The end credits, in any case, were overtaken by a long, gratuitous parade of guest stars from future episodes; this felt like hype: "Look what great actors are involved! Look how exciting this all is!" Except, regrettably, it wasn't, at least not on this first outing.

Overall, the episode felt unfocussed and a bit disappointing, clearly failing to live up to the hype that preceded it. Whittaker shows a spark of potential and may grow into the role of the Doctor over time, but she certainly isn't there yet…

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

** NEWS **

Episode 2 Trailer

Defender of the Realm
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 pm
". . .Whittaker shows a spark of potential and may grow into the role of the Doctor over time, but she certainly isn't there yet. . ."

That truly says it all, she is not there yet.

I knew something was missing, but I didn't realize it until you mentioned it. . .the Theme Song!!! Here they didn't even play it at the end, they were too busy talking over it for it to be heard. I think they must have thrown their shoulders out, patting themselves in the back so much.

Here, the panel talking about the new series had Wil Wheaton (from STNG) and 3 ladies and all they could talk about was how the female characters ran into the fray while the men stood back, blah, blah, blah. . .and how they feel they would have done the same, as well as how they thought that the new Doctor would take the place of Ryan's Nan in helping both he and Graham deal with their problems??? Sorry, I didn't get that.

It also sounds like they have abandoned any previous sonic screwdriver, considering the information stored on it, that doesn't make sense (unless she downloads the info to hers when they find the TARDIS??). The shape of the sonic screwdriver reminds me of a sex toy. . .????

*sighs* I can only hope it will get better. . .

[/i]

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:02 pm
Scarz wrote:
. . .The shape of the sonic screwdriver reminds me of a sex toy. . .????

*sighs* I can only hope it will get better. . .

Agreed on both counts. That was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw a pic of her holding the new sonic… now I don't feel like such a bad person for thinking it…

Seriously, it had better improve fast, or I may be taking a long break from watching.

Defender of the Realm
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:07 pm
There was another line I didn't like, when "Carl" tripped the "bad guy" off of the crane and the Doctor told him "You had no right to do that." I thought, wait, "Carl" was the target of the hunt, the "bad guy" was trying to take him home as a trophy. . .if anyone had the right to knock the "bad guy" off the crane "Carl" DID!

I realize the Doctor was giving the "bad guy" an option. . .but that line made no sense to me at all.

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm
The New Sonic Screwdriver

This is quite interesting… a closer look at the idea behind the making of the new sonic screwdriver. I rather like the concept, and if you look at it in that light, it is sort of spoon-shaped -- I love that the steel spoon hallmark is still on the sonic! All the same, as you said, I'll be interested to find out if she downloads the information from the previous sonics, once she locates the Tardis.

Defender of the Realm
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:35 am
I am glad they gave a closer look at the sonic screwdriver, although it still looks like a. . .the addition of the "Sheffield Steel" mark, is a nice touch as Sheffield Steel at one time was the pinnacle of steel manufactured in the world.

When she held up the spoon I flashed back to Capaldi's Doctor and his battle with Robin Hood. . .I hope that is what they intended. I also didn't realize she had taken any of "Tim Shaw's" tech until I saw it a second time.

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:31 am
Scarz wrote:
When she held up the spoon I flashed back to Capaldi's Doctor and his battle with Robin Hood. . .I hope that is what they intended.

So did I. *smiles* Hopefully, that was intended… thinking back, much of what I felt was missing in the first episode was a link to the previous history of the Doctor. A couple of stray references were dropped in, so maybe I'm just being too impatient and it will develop over time. I hope so anyway. In the advance hype about the new series, much was made of the fact that you don't need to know the entire DW history to watch… new viewers can start now and not feel left out. Fair enough, but I hope the history has not been entirely cast aside…
Page 23 of 24