Do Soulmates exist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]

Do soulmates exist
yes
81%
 81%  [ 22 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 27

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 am
I have had a run in with a man over two years ago. I saw him walking down the halls at college and I felt so drawn and attracted to him that I wanted to talk to him but for some reason the shy me I never knew existed kicked in and I didn't. Come to find out the following semester he was my US history teacher and I almost choked when he walked in the room. Needless to say I was instantly attracted to him and we grew to a point where we are barely separated now. Of course we didn't start seeing each other until after he was my teacher. Problem was that we were both married. I am now divorced and he is on his way too because we are inseparable. We both believe that we belong together that this is our destiny and even have some signs along the way. I would have never fallen for a guy like him in a million years he wasn't my type but now I can't think, or breathe, or live without him. This is definitely something different then all of the other times I "thought" I was in love. There seems to be something more. I had always believed in soulmates but my friends used to rag on me big time for trying to follow a pipe dream- a fairy tale but I never stopped hoping and now I think I have found him.

My questions to you:
Do soulmates actually exist?
Is there only one person for everyone?
Have you meant your soulmate?
Are you crazy enough to never give up and stop searching?
How do you know when you found your soulmate?
Any interesting stories I would love to hear them!!
Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:50 am
i believe that soulmates do exist.
i also believe that there is more than 1 soulmate for every person, if there were only one thats like one in a billion chance you'll actually meet them.
Have you met your soulmate?
sometimes i'd like to believe i have, but i just go with the flow. :3
yes i am crazy enough, go out there and get your heart broken or you'll never know if you've found that special person. :3
i'm not quite sure of this, but maybe once you've found your very best friend who will love and care for you no matter what happens.
Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 am
I love your optimism toxic!! Very Happy You have great insight and I see wonderful things happening in your life. I only believe there is one soulmate though and my belief is that fate will connect you two at the right moment and the right time and make itself known. Thank you a lot for your answer and for believing. If people can believe in aliens then why not soulmates Very Happy ?
Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 am

Yes, they do exist, but on different levels also, not just romantically.

No, I do not believe so. I believe as your soul evolves in your life, new people enter your life who are soulmates.

Yes, I have met several of mine.

Mine just flow into my life naturally.

You feel a connection that you know is special and not like other people you know.
Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 pm
  • Do soulmates actually exist?
    I used to believe that they did. I actually believed t hat I had met mine and that we were meant to be forever. It ... didn't work out. In face, it ended very horribly and there is no doubt in my mind that this person was absolutely not the one for me now. This has made me skeptical, I guess. I don't LIKE the word soulmate because I think people look at it and picture a magical, wonderful relationship where they never have to do any work to maintain it. And I don't think such things are real.

I also worry that people attach too much value to such words, and that they may stick around when they'd otherwise get out because of this word.

• Is there only one person for everyone?
    I believe we all have several possible really good matches. With some work, we can make things 'fit' and work right. And there are some where it will be nearly effortless. It's ... I believe that if someone doesn't want to be with you they're not your soulmate. But you will find someone out there for you if you look long enough and hard enough.

• Have you meant your soulmate?
    I thought I had. Didn't turn out to be so. I'm very, very attracted to someone else now. I care a lot about them and want to be with them so badly. We've been apart for a long while now. We live on different continents. But I care about him so much. It feels like I've finally figured out how romance is really supposed to be. But I would not call him my soulmate. I don't like that word anymore, I guess. I would not use it for anyone.

• Are you crazy enough to never give up and stop searching?
    I don't think I put the same romantic value on this as you do, OP. To me, it was enough to be single and enjoy my life. Finding him, if he turns out to be the person in my life that I think he will be is a wonderful thing ... but I am glad I stopped searching for a guy to be in my life for a while and focused on being a happy me. I think that was something I needed to do. Something that everyone should do. It's important to find completeness in yourself rather than searching for it in someone else. After that, if you can find someone to sweeten your life and make it more wonderful, my blessings to you.

• How do you know when you found your soulmate?
    Well, as said above, I don't like the term. But I think you know you're in love when you'd put that person first.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 pm
It's a possibility. There's enough souls on this earth for everyone to have a match.

I doubt it. As I said about, there's so many souls on this earth, that just one would be a little ridiculous. I'd say there's more than one, just so everyone has a chance at finding the person they can be happiest with.

Possibly, but I don't know. I'm not a very social person as it is, and I tend to keep to myself.

Given that I'm not searching so much as waiting? I have a lot of patience, and plenty to do to occupy me while I wait.

I don't. If I ever do, I'll just have to trust myself.

I draw! Look me up on dA: LainaInverse
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 pm
Yes, I do believe they exist but I also believe that one must exercise a bit of caution. Some unasked for thoughts to ponder: why is he divorcing his wife? If it is to be with you, why would he not do the same if he met someone else? I'm not trying to be confrontational - I just want you to look out for your one well being too :3

There are so many souls on this Earth that I find it hard to believe that there is just one soulmate. I was told by someone that we actually have about nine soulmates but I haven't been able to confirm nor deny that statement.

I believe I have met two. The last one didn't work out very well. I believe that my current boyfriend is also a mate to my soul xp

Yes. Even if one or two or three relationships don't work out, there are how many other people on this Earth?
However, I was not looking for a relationship when I met my ex and my current boyfriend. Honestly, we got to talking and the attraction and relationship grew.

I would think by many things. To name some that are important for me: how we treat each other, how we listen to each other, how much we give to the other without expecting anything in return. Just to name a few.
Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:11 pm
Did you tell someone they're your soulmate? If so, they exist.

If not, then they don't (yet Twisted Evil )

Nah. People can have several partners that are right for them in various ways.

Potentially.

Pfft, asking me if I'm crazy.

When you've married them and actually stay with them :3

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:42 pm
I am so glad to see that so many of my fellow zantarnians believe in soulmates. I am also glad to hear that people never give up in the name of love. I loved Wildfae's story about her love that is now in another continent I would love to hear more stories about your soulmate and finding your true love. It is valentines day after all a time for love and happiness (or just a hallmark holiday to bring in the revenue).
Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 am
I believe soulmates exist... but life is so annoying because you can't usually be with them. Its like life wants to mess with our heads.

I've experienced love at first sight before, and most people think this is insane or impossible. Most believe its simply lust or infatuation. Well maybe you experience those two feelings as well, but there is no denying the uncontrollable pull you feel towards the other person. There is no denying you feel you are looking at a mirror image of yourself, like your soul is the same as their's. You feel you are seeing deep into their eyes, and really you are only seeing them but you feel as if you are seeing the whole world.

Well, anyways, that's my experience. But life is teasing me saying "you can't have him!"
Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 am
I think there's a possibility to it. I used to believe in it so much that I would convince everybody to have a stab at believing it...but I began to realize that it might not happen for everyone. Sometimes people go through a hard situations where things like soulmates isn't 'believable' anymore.

I think there is one for everyone. Whether you find him/her in this life time is not certain. You never know what would happen when you die, and it turns out your soulmate was just born. I think that there's a chance for everyone to meet their soulmate. Just not in a certain lifetime Razz

I don't think I have. I've been in only one serious relationship where I thought the guy was everything I never wanted...but yet, we still came together.
I thought that maybe he was my soulmate, and that we were meant to be together. But then again, I don't think I can let one relationship justify my whole soulmate experience.
We didn't work out in the end.

Like I said before, sometimes it might not be in your lifetime to find your soulmate. I can always hope and wait that maybe...like you...I would find my soulmate. It might hurt the person I'm married to...but you never know. If it happens, I will work for it.

It would be unexplainable. If I were able to put it into words...then there's too much of an answer.
It should be unexplainable...
At least to me.

A Thousand Dreams
Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:52 am
I really don't know the answer to that.

My personal experiences gives me reason to believe so.

The man I am with is the one I intend to marry and I don't intend nor will I have someone after him (even if a lot of people disagree with that type of thinking, it's a choice). I didn't decide on that while I was infatuated with him either.

At first, we were more than just friends but there wasn't an element of sex or romance to it or family, it was some other powerful feeling outside the normal classifications of relationships that was indescribable. I knew he was my soulmate, though not romantically at the time. I don't think it necessarily has to be purely romantic but can transcend those things like the Greeks mentioned.
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:14 pm
Do soulmates actually exist? Well I uuse to believe in all that stuff, but I don't think about soulmates too much But I'm sure there must be someone out there for me.
Is there only one person for everyone? That only depends on the individual. It's up to you whether on not you let another person into you life. Tht is up to you, not the universe.

Have you meant your soulmate? No I don't think I haveNot worried about it.
Are you crazy enough to never give up and stop searching? Yes, I still a romantic and a wisher of true love.
How do you know when you found your soulmate? I really don't know. I sure something will let me know.
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:52 pm
I have to say that WildFae's answers are pretty similar to mine, but I'm going to participate in the discussion anyway because I need hoof prints and because I have thought a lot on this topic.

I think that we tend to relate to people on different levels. Our thought processes are so unique to ourselves that it can be difficult to find people with whom communication is effortless. I've only met a few people that I've had that sort of easy connection with, but definitely never in a romantic way.

I agree with WildFae that people attach too much value to the idea of a "soul mate", partly because people crave certainty and acceptance above all other things. If you're sure that you're with "the one", then you can excuse yourself from every aspect of personal responsibility in regard to being with someone who is inappropriate for you. You also don't have to leave someone who abuses you mentally or physically because it's "meant to be" and therefore will magically work out in the end -- Happily Ever After Syndrome. Also, a "soul mate" can't reject you. You take all free will out of the relationship for both parties, which ensures that you will never be rejected.

But this is a lie. Not only can you be rejected within "soul mate" relationship, but again, as WildFae pointed out, this "meant to be" nonsense makes the idea of leaving confusing and depending on your commitment to the "soul mate" theory, impossible.

Absolutely not. Another dangerous aspect of the "soul mate" theory is that it drives up the desperation factor. You need to stay with this person, even though he/she is bad for you, because he/she is "the ONE" -- the only one who will ever love you in this very specific way. In reality, love is a series of choices and actions that you either are in the habit of making or not making. If you can love one person, you can love another. Also, the idea of "soul mates" is meant to conquer the fear of never finding someone who can love you properly. But real love comes from the inside out, which means it's far more important that you are consistently behaving in a loving way.

I've never met someone who was worth up both my defenses and my insecurities for, so, no.

I go back and forth on this one. On the one hand, love is amazing. It gives you strength, it makes you feel connected to this world and the people in it, it gives you a purpose and a vessel into which you can pour out the love and joy that occurs naturally within your spirit. On the other hand, love can leave at any time, whether by choice or chance or fate or God or whathaveyou. The loss of love can take away your purpose, and it can fill you with a desolation unlike anything you had previously imagined possible. That loss can take you to a place where the possibility of continued sanity is frighteningly tenuous. So, on the question of whether or not Tennyson was correct, I am undecided.

Hell if I know, Kiddo.

Siggeh by Manda of HeartsEnchanted.com

Nen

Nen
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 pm
Absolutely!

No, there are a bunch, just floating by out there!

Yes, and I married him!

I hadn't been looking, it just happened on it's own!

You just know. Life gets better, stressful things affect you less, and the best thing is that you instanty know that you can trust that person with your whole self.

I got out of a horribly unhealthy 6 year relationship on New Year's Eve. I went to a house party to hang out with friends and get cheered up, and there he was. I got up the nerve to talk to him and it was like we were magnetically attracted for the rest of the night. Later that week we hung out, just to see if we would get along, and we spent 9 hours talking. Finally at like 4 in the morning he offered to let me stay the night, no strings, just cuddling and sleep. I did. It was the best sleep I had gotten in years. When we woke up, he said how great it was and that he guessed 'we both really needed that'. We've been inseperable ever since. I never believed in the whole whirlwind romance thing, but it's barely been 6 months and we are married and get to be together for the rest of our lives. I've never been so happy or stress-free, there's no drama, and we're so compatible it's insane.
Page 1 of 2