Bullying
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:24 am
So this happens to be a rather important topic for me, although I will say I have never been bullied or I should say never LET myself be bullied, I have had quite a few friend from my High School days that had extreme problems with this.

Last week, Tuesday, I was a speaker on the topic of bullying at my old High School. I stood on stage for over an hour and talked to students about the effect bullying had on some of my friends. The generally vibe I got from the kid's was that they didn't care and that they'd rather be somewhere else than listening to some 21 year old talk about this.

About 20 minutes into my talk a student in the second row of the theater pointed at another student a few seats away and laughed at him. I literally stopped my whole planned talk and asked him what exactly he was laughing at, since the other student looked rather hurt and had started staring at the ground.

What he said to me blew my mind. He said "Why do you care? Your not his friend." I told him it didn't matter if he was my friend or even if I knew him in any way, the fact of the matter is that whatever you'd said and laughed at hurt him in some way. The student who'd been laughed at looked at me and smiled at me for standing up for him.

A teacher had moved to remove the laughing student out of the theater but I stopped her and told her that what is that going to do? Nothing. He's going to get out of this "Boring" talk on why Bullying is bad. No, I told her that if he wants to be like that then he can come on stage with me and stand beside me and listen. He was not happy to say the least.

And to say that even though it was something I thought would help him I did feel kind of like a bully for pointing him out and I did say that to him and then ask him if it felt good. Did me pointing him out and making him stand up here with me feel good. his answer was no. And I asked him if he didn't enjoy the feeling why did he make others feel like this? He gave no answer and looked at the floor blushing.

After having done this I continued my talk. I had every single one of the students now paying attention to me and actually listening to what not only I said but the other speakers as well.

Discuss:
Your views on bullying
Have you ever stepped up to a bully
Have you, yourself ever been bullied
If you've been bullied, has anyone ever offered you help

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 am
Honestly, sometimes it takes something harsh to make people stop and think about their actions. And that really wasn't that harsh. Humiliating, yes, but well deserved. Act like a small child and be treated as one (I know a few 'adults' that could use some of the punishments we got as kids. Straighten 'em right up ^_^)

I was a chubby little ginger who owned almost nothing but hand me down sweat pants and sunday dresses. I got my first pair of jeans at age 12 and went straight to being a tomboy ^_^; I went to private church schools but there were still mean kids. Never anything too bad but still enough to give me some serious self esteem issues and I think it also played a small part in the development of my social anxiety. I stood there and took it just as much as I ignored it (pretended to anyways). I've never really had many friends so that didn't help and I was always on the teacher's good side so that only made it worse.
Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 am
If people now a days would actually just say to the children that their basically being stupid and that it isn't "cool" to be a jerk to someone I think we'd have alot less problems in our schools.

I used to be that annoyingly lazy smart kid. Most people tending to over look me and I tended not to talk to alot of people. But the day I ripped into some popular chick because she was insulting some grade 8er it gained me alot of attention. Of course her friends tried to back her up but being the annoyingly lazy smart kid pays off in pure undeniable logical mind F'ing ability. It took me like five minutes to have the girls crying.
After that no one tried anything with me. Didn't mean they didn't try to get to some of my friends.
Grade 12 was probably the worse year of my peers lives. That was the year I stopped being the lazy smart kid and just started destroying people who thought they were better than everyone else, I wasn't being mean to them, I just pointed out how in so many ways they were wrong and shut them up with my intelligence.

Neutral My actions in Grade 12 was the reason I was asked to be a speaker.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 am
I've been bullied from grade school through eighth grade. I never provoked it - I was the shy, quiet kid who just wanted friends and acceptance. I felt I was generally nice to everyone and yet I was the easy target.

I think what made it worse or unmanageable, was that my parents didn't know what to do. They told me to just tell the teacher. So I did. That got me labeled as the 'tattle-tail' and the teacher didn't do anything. I remember in third grade, some boy touched my butt and when I told the teacher, she told me to just ignore him and to put my head down on the desk whenever he talked to me. Yeah, great advice.

It got worse in seventh grade - I ate my lunch in the bathroom and stayed their all lunch period. Later, I found the library to be better suited. In eighth grade, I was in a wheelchair and braces due to an accident. If I wasn't an easy target before, I had the attention of the whole damn school. And I can tell a few stories from that level of bullying.

It's been years since then now and I still carry a lot of resentments towards a lot of people. I'm working to let it go but honestly, it is hard for me.

I have learned that if and when I have children of my own, I will be giving much different advice then my parents gave to me. That's for sure.
Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 pm
I was the target for every single bully in my school. Although none were physical, all mine were mentally damaging. I had people scoot their chairs and desks away from me. I've had people continuously go to the back of the line cause they did not want to stand behind or in front me in line (this actually had it's perks).
I hate to say this because of my own personal beliefs about children vs parenting, but most of the bullying in school deals with what the child has experienced in the household. This can be positive or negative aspect, but if the child is neglected or there's too much violence in the household, then the child is going to lash out. However, a lot of times it is due to peer pressure from other children who has violence or neglect in THEIR household.
Regardless of the situation, we parents need to stand firm and teach our children that bullying should never be done.
I never stood up to any of my bullies until I was in 9th grade when I yelled at one of them. And it felt GOOD... After that, I did not let anyone push me around anymore and I got people leaving me alone. When I got to 10th grade, however, I started to realize that I was becoming what I hated the most, so I shrunk back down to my quiet self. It wasn't until 11th grade when my once bullies tried to be my friend but I held such a grudge on them that I refused their friendship. I ignored them. Quite a few persisted, but I held on firm. Why should I be a friend to someone who had mentally damaged me so long ago? It made no sense! Perhaps if they had apologized, I may had different views on the friendship, but I didn't want it at all.

I guess the target for all bullies are the shy, quiet types because they know they won't fight back. So, I am trying to make sure that my daughter isn't shy and quiet. But I also hope she doesn't become a bully either and if she does then her and I will be having a serious discussion.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:24 pm
Fehvy wrote:

I never stood up to any of my bullies until I was in 9th grade when I yelled at one of them. And it felt GOOD... After that, I did not let anyone push me around anymore and I got people leaving me alone. When I got to 10th grade, however, I started to realize that I was becoming what I hated the most, so I shrunk back down to my quiet self. It wasn't until 11th grade when my once bullies tried to be my friend but I held such a grudge on them that I refused their friendship. I ignored them. Quite a few persisted, but I held on firm. Why should I be a friend to someone who had mentally damaged me so long ago? It made no sense! Perhaps if they had apologized, I may had different views on the friendship, but I didn't want it at all.

I had a moment in eight grade when I sort of snapped. Because of a really bad accident, my back could not handle a normal backpack and so I needed to use a roller backpack. I already knew what was going to happen. This kid waited for me everyday at the same spot right before the last class of the day. And he would kick my backpack and run off. Because of the accident, it really hurt. So one day, I snapped. I grabbed him and slammed him against a wall and screamed at him 'why do you have to be so mean?' or something like that. It was weird because ever since then, he stopped and was actually friendly towards me.

And I had a few people who bullied me try to be friends with me later on in life. I honestly don't think these people remember how they treated me and you. Or they could have been trying to apologize in their own way but like you, I wanted nothing to do with them.
Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:40 am
Your story is awesome. Good job showing the kids exactly what your speech was about and reminding them of common human decency. Getting peers involved like that, even unplanned as it was, was a great way to get kids to pay attention. It's one thing to be talked at, it's another thing altogether to see the lesson in action.

Discuss:
Your views on bullying
It's reprehensible. No one should be able to put another person down or hurt them to make themselves feel tough. Remember the golden rule people, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I for one would not like to be bullied, therefor would not bully people myself. It's just wrong.

I've stepped up to people who have bullied me a couple times. Unfortunately I am too oblivious to things around me most of the time, so if there are people around me getting bullied I don't notice and thus I cannot defend them.

Yes, in middle school. It was terrible for me, even though the bullying itself was very mild. I was actually tutored by a private teacher with my sisters up until middle school, so suddenly being dropped into the public schooling system without any of my family was a bit of a nightmare for me. I was sensitive, to when people teased me it really hurt, and when they played keep away with one of my books I almost cried. Never anything physical, and it was rarely worse than teasing but for me it was Hell. I was young, out of my comfort zone and I didn't have any real friends there, so as soon as a graduated from middle school I changed over for a different high school, the one my sisters went to. I'm not sure if it was just the schooling system, my family support system, or the fact that kids grew up a bit between 8th and 9th grades, but I was not bullied in high school. It was nice. I relearned how to walk with my eyes off the ground. I hadn't even realized that I was always looking down while I walked until one of my sisters pointed it out. So yeah, bullying did a bit of a number on me.

Some classmates and teachers kept an eye on me, and I am grateful for that. But I did not get much help as the bullying was not very harsh. Mostly teasing. I never got hit, or got called any horrible names, or had any nasty rumors (that I know of) spread around behind my back. So there wasn't too much they could do to help. Though one of my teachers did once call one of the kids out during class for harassing me. Otherwise I was left to fend for myself.
Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:01 am
Your views on bullying.

It's reprehensible and uncool. I've never really understood the drive to BE a bully, and now that I work with little kids, I'm trying to actively encourage niceness. Heaven forbid any kid I work with become a bully. It would be frustrating, to say the least.

Have you ever stepped up to a bully?

Honestly, I've never had a reason to. Kinda lucky that way.

Have you, yourself ever been bullied?

Not that I'm aware of. I was the quiet bookworm, but I've honestly never cared too much what people think of me. I've been made fun of, sure, but never bullied. (And I readily admit, I brought some of the jokes down upon myself. I never CARED, either.)

I also had the fortune to make a really awesome set of friends in my 7th grade year, and I'm pretty sure that if I were ever in danger of BEING bullied, they'd all have jumped down on the bully with both feet.

If you've been bullied, has anyone ever offered you help?

I'd like to think that if it ever becomes the case, someone will, but until it happens, I'll remain blissfully ignorant.

I draw! Look me up on dA: LainaInverse
Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:04 am
Your views on bullying.

It should never happen, ever, on any level. The act of bullying is not just demeaning to the victim, but an absolute show of weakness on the part of the one doing the bullying.

Of course, I think the most reprehensible bullies are the adults preying on kids, but that's moving a little outside the scope of this topic.

Ultimately I think all bullying is unacceptable.

Have you ever stepped up to a bully?

Yes, I had been, for years in high school. Then, like others who've posted before me, I snapped and retaliated. It's not a moment I'm proud of, but it did give me some interesting insight when I realized I'd actually frightened my bully. I was left alone after that.

Have you, yourself ever been bullied?

See above. I want to specify though that I was not being beaten up, but more harassed and occasionally shoved. It was a mind game to them to pick on the little kid.

If you've been bullied, has anyone ever offered you help?

I'd told my teachers early on, which they dealt with in that vague, mildly distracted way adults do when they're dealing with hundreds of students all having some issue of another. Since I was not being beaten up (and please note, this predates the current understanding of how damaging psychological abuse can be) they probably felt I was just going through that phase where I needed to grow a bit of a backbone.

Different time, different mentality.

I also told my folks at some point and they asked if I wanted them to intervene. I asked them to do so, but only once since the bullying seemed to have been exasperated afterward. My folks worried, but respected my wish they stay out of it and instead resorted to trying to help me cope.

It wasn't very effective (obviously, since I retaliated) but they did try and I have to give them credit.

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm
Your views on bullying:
My son is 9 years old and in 4th grade. He has been abused by not only the students but the teachers! Bullying is not only a student problem. I remember when i was in 4th grade and My teacher Mr clinton started a movement against the "fat kids" in his class. He gave them nicknames.. I remember two because it affected the children literally for the rest of their lives. One was David fields he was physically deformed. Meaning he had his head attached to his shoulders NO neck... This always seemed to be a hilarious defect that the teacher was quick to point out on almost EVERY occasion. He was even made to preform a "skit" around his neck deformity. Anyway we had a valentine event at schoool. We had cupcakes and twinkeis that had pink filling. Well well David really like the twinkes, so Mr clinton pointed it out to everyone and said Ok we have 3 options of david, SpeedBump, garbage disposal, or Twinkie. All the kids VOTED on what his nickname would be. Needless to say it ended up being twinkie. From that day forward EVEN TODAY people still call him twinkie. He eventually came to terms with it but the rejection that was on his face when people were voting was enough to make me cry. I was so **** off i told the principle and she did nothing about it. As a matter of fact it made it worse for me because i couldnt run the mile and a half around the playground and field. So i walked with David... I got hell for that "you are what you date" aka walking with twinkie.. just cruel stuff. It was so lame. Anyway back to my son. He has some ausitm specturm disorders and is in special ed but has some mainstream GenEd classes. He is bullied in his genEd class because he goes to Special ed. but when he is in his special ed class he is bullied too! because he doesnt have super sever things only little ticks. He is made to sit with people who are very mentally defisciant and some who are just violent. So the violent kids pick on him and tell him he is there because he is a "retard" and he sits with the "retards" because he is "one of them" the teacher has divided the room into how bad the special needs are and my son sits in the middle because its a huge U shapped desk formation. The kids are ruthless. I have asked her to move him but the bad kids sit on the outside because they get up and leave more. I am at my wits end i dont know what to do at all. He was attacked by one of these bad kids the other day and hack his neck scratched up and his back bruised from a stick i took pics and called the school but they said "no one saw what happened" so it was my sons word against the other kid. Gah.. so irritated at bullys they should all be sent to military school!

Yes i confronted a little boy who was harassing my sister and calling her names when she was 8, he had thrown some gravel in her face and she was under a tree crying. So when I saw him being mean to her across the playground i ran over to him it just so happened to be by the drinking fountain. So when he went to get a drink i grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and turned the water on in his face and threatened him.
he never did anything to her again and i got suspended. =\

Have you, yourself ever been bullied: I honestly think everyone at some point in their life has. I think the reaction of ther person really determines how bad the abuse will get. And i am sorry but i do NOT agree with "walking away" or "being the better person" if someone is going to hurt you then you have aright to defend yourself or those you love.

If you've been bullied, has anyone ever offered you help: Not really that i can remember.. i was always the oldest.. and as the first person said i never allowed myself to be bullied. I mean there were occasional ONE TIME confrontations but it generally ended with that. Except for the girl who tried to kill me in 8th grade by pushing me into a black truck that was going down the street and didnt see me get pushed out.. The lady was only goign about 35 though and i hit the back end of her truck right as she got passed me. I rolled out of the road right as another car came up. I ran to a house and told them what happened and the truck lady pulled over. The cops came and arrested the girl and she spent a few months in a detention center. Things with her have always been tense though she attacked me again in 10th grade and tried to get some people to jump me but as luck would have it the principle came over at the right time. And then i ran away from home and never had to deal with her again. Roxanne rutledge... she is on facebook. I saw that some of my friends had her added once and was in shock because she is still as evil as ever and the people i know where not like her in anyway i couldnt understand why they were friends!

Anyway... that is a tiny portion of my stories.. its crazy the thinkgs kids get away with these days. I had to call the police several times for incidents at my sons school... its disgusting.
Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:57 am
Your views on bullying:
My views on bullying are probably a little skewed. No one really supports bullies or bullying, myself included. However, I think it's way out of proportion and not handled in the best way it could be. Teachers and parents need to be more proactive with their children. There shouldn't just be classes or counseling sessions for children in schools and that be it. I do not think that bullying is only found in children versus children, but I highly doubt most children are being bullied by their instructors. I do think that children are too sensitive to a degree in that they will not understand the "real world" outside of the shelter their parents may give them in some situations. Bullying affects us all in some way, either we were bullied, a friend or sibling was bullied, or we know a bully. I don't think it's all black and white either. Bullies often have their own issues that need to be addressed. I seriously doubt all bullies are just BULLIES with no reason for being such. It may not be a valid reason such as they "don't get enough attention" when they were, but it could be a very real reason such as serious issues at home or at school. In general, I think the bully needs as much intervention as those that are bullied. BY only focusing our attention on those that are so hurt by bullying and only punishing the bully, we are not instilling the right sort of mentality in either case.

Have you ever stepped up to a bully:
I have stepped up to a bully. Several times in fact to multiple bullies. My only condition was that it was one of my friends that were targeted, not myself. Though this has changed (it took my entire childhood and young adulthood to change this behavior to stand up for myself), I did not see it as a reason to step up and do anything about it. As I said however, when it was one of my friends, I did take charge in challenging a bully. I very, very rarely had anything physical happen, and when it did, I was not the one that started it ever. I learned at a very young age that violence does not solve most problems, if any at all. On most occasions that I did step up to a bully in the defense of a friend, all it took as someone willing to challenge them verbally, and not with abusive language. This was especially true for myself--I was the meek outcast that rarely spoke during most of my schooling years. To have me, of all people, have the audacity to stand up to a bully was remarkable in and of itself. It was a valuable lesson I took away from school.

Have you, yourself ever been bullied:
Most of my life, typically everyday through junior high and high school. I would not be the person I am today without it. I also think that it's still blown out of proportion in terms of media and social attention as well as some of the individual cases themselves.

If you've been bullied, has anyone ever offered you help:
Not once. Despite my helping out "friends," not only did I not receive any help from them or others in return, on occasion, they would join in the fun. Being a punching bag for others, both verbally and physically, is not enjoyable and does make life miserable. What I don't understand is why today's society in terms of both children and parents, don't "suck it up" to a degree unless the bullying is very serious. Again, I'm not advocating that bullies are awesome or that it's a good thing to be bullied. Please don't put that in my mouth. What I am saying in general, however, is that our resources from friends, family, teachers, etc. could be spent in more constructive ways than therapy for the bullied and punishment for the bullies. Is obviously isn't working, and by continuing this set of plans, we're not helping those that truly need the help.
Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:53 pm
I got bullied a lot when I was younger. I would pretend to ignore it when I was at school, but when I would get home I'd cry about it. Some people offered help when they thought it was going too far, but mostly I endured everything on my own. For a while I hung out with a group I thought were my friends when I was in middle school but that didn't last long. When I was in 5th grade we were having tough times at home. Money was always tight and we didn't buy anything unless we needed it. Clothes were included in this. I had about two pairs of shorts and a few shirts that I had worn through the summer and beginning of the school year, but I had no pants and it had started getting cold. One morning I wore a jacket with it and none of the colors match my shorts or shirt. Even the shirt and shorts didn't match. When I got to school I had to hear about that all day from my so called friends. I even earned a new title that day. "Garbage can clothes" Even children can be cruel.

When I was in 10th grade a girl I hung out with came over to spend the night. Chatting on yahoo was big back then and we stayed up a good part of the night in chat rooms. She was always looking for guys to chat with, but I talked to everyone. After a while she found one guy in particular and talked to him a while, saying she was at my house. After a while he wanted to talk to me so I said hi chatted for a few minutes and told him I had some stuff I needed to do so she could get back on and talk to him. When I went to tell her she had gone to bed. I didn't know until monday that she had been mad at me for talking to him. Some guy she didn't even know in real life and she gets mad at me! She decided to write me a long letter about how I was starving myself for guys online and got out friends to believe it. First off, I had lost 30 lbs over the summer in a healthy manner and felt great about myself. Secondly I wasn't looking to "date" anyone online especially since I was only 15. I remember sitting there in class, reading the letter, laughing out loud so she could hear it. Then I wrote her one about how awful of a "friend" she was to think that. I had to go around to each of our friends and explain to them what had happened.

These are the two that have stuck with me the most. Not sure why, but they just have. Thankfully most instances I have forgotten and I hope to forget more. Childhood was rough, I had few friends, and I mostly entertained myself with reading and gaming. Life is still rough, I don't think I have any real friends, and I still entertain myself in the same way. Now, instead of "friends" being the bully I have family who try to do this. Excuse me for saying this, but quite frankly they can kiss my **** if they want to try to bully me because I'm not taking it anymore. I've already dropped two members.

Wow, I think this turned into a rant. lol That wasn't why I started posting, but it sort of rolled out. Honestly I don't know what anyone can do to actually stop bullying. Sometimes standing up to one can make it worse. Some people are just born with the natural ability to be a bully, while others use it as a coping mechanism for home life.

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you."
Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 pm
Your views on bullying
it is bound to happen no matter what we do the best way to prevent the most amount of damage is too address it early on. Bullying takes all forms, physical, social, emotional. Sometimes the victim develops habits to cope with the bullying, I plead with anyone that has power address these habits early on.

yes i did, I got in trouble for it but i scared the **** out of the bully & posse and they never picked on me again, as well as my friends. who thought me a hero for acting that way -it wasn't an act :/ -

yes since 2nd grade I have been bullied -from what I can recall- I had difficulty learning to read so they put me with the mentally slow kids. That might have been the starting point. Anyways as I look back on it the insults and bullying really didn't bother me I had gotten use to them water on a duck's back. there had been a few physical bullying events at recess but when I started hanging out with the younger kids they left me alone.

I did develop a rather gross habit in my 3rd grade year, i'd pick at myself. (still haven't quit it, I have reduced it quite a bit though) the picking apparently grossed out my bullies and they reported me to the teacher who told me to stop it, I told her if she stopped the people making fun of me I'd stop. she insisted that no one was making fun of me.

I never again reported bullying ever >.>

in middle school I stood up for myself and became a wild card, that quiet kid in the back with a temper. Most bullies left me alone except the one mentioned in the second spoon. She learned though and when I meet her again in high school she seemed to be on the bottom of the bully pole and gave me quite a berth.

never, not once. Which is fine with me I can take care of myself. Though I do try to help others when I see them being bullied.

@ I need to put this here; This has been going on since I started this college in august I was bullied by a flamboyantly gay student. making fun of my attire, my back bag, the way I walk (I drag my right foot, barely noticeable), my face and the clincher my intelligence (I'm in a CNA program and he was in nursing so he thought he was smarter and better then me because of that). It really peeved me,(bullying because I'm straight is far fetched, with the over hyped gay bullying in the media) clearly can't be the other way around.

of course if I am getting bullied I bet there are others as well and they might not have the thick skin I have, and it isn't something anyone would confess to either.
:C
Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:01 am
Your views on bullying
I think bullying is very natural of people. At one point in our lives, we will probably encounter bullying in ourselves. Whether extreme or mild, it has, or will happen. I think it's really unfortunate to the people being bullied. I don't think it's right at all, but not everybody can tell the difference whether they're a bully or not.

I don't think I've really stepped up to a bully? I try to do something when my little brothers are getting bullied, but its never been to the point where I had to look them in the eye and tell them to back down. Nothing physical at least. I have called out bullies on the internet, and it really angered me. Cyber bullying is hard to control because people are behind a computer screen. It's easier for them to say things, and get away with being a bully Razz

I don't think I've ever been a hardcore bully? I know that I went along with crowds that picked on a certain boy. We would all call him names, or say "Ew, ____ germs! Stay away from him!" <- That was in elementary.
Afterwards, when I moved schools, I found out that we were going to the same highschool. Honestly, he was different from the beginning, and even in hs, people still picked on him.
When that happened, I really thought hard, and I felt horrible for all the times I called him names...and went a long with the crowd. I felt really bad about it.
After that, I tried to reflect on everything I would say, and my actions.

I don't think so? Or not that I can remember of. I know that people are too scared to step up sometimes to help other people. They're more likely to feel sympathetic towards you. Offered help? Nahh.
They'll probably come afterwards to comfort you, but that's about it.

A Thousand Dreams
Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:03 am
I took bullying as a part of life.
I fought bullying and was too strong of a person to let it affect me or let it slide. I grew up as the only Asian in a Caucasian rural area and that was pretty hard.

I got in a fight with a bunch of jocks that circled me once, each one of them was literally twice my size. I still fought them off and people learnt that I wasn't the type of person to accept that kind of behaviour, otherwise I was a kind person.

I was usually the person jumping in for the other, or encouraging them to stand up for themself.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2