Bullying and suicides Perhaps RILEY & BO should read thi
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room [Nov.'19]
Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 pm
So i am sitting here looking through some Youtube vids. And i am getting highly irritated at the amount of people who feel bad AFTER the person commits suicide...

Many of these same people continue with the abuse cycle in many ways. Exp: dirty looks to fat people, Jokes made about special needs people, People on welfare or state aid, kids that are dirty with a colored mother, the list goes on and on. Its a plague on society! Stereotyping and Bullying go hand in hand. Where did we get these notions? Why do we think this behavior is ok UNTIL someone dies... and then its "sad and unfortunate" but really doesnt change anything after the fact. Once it fades from memory the same abuse is repeated until there is another suicide. Last but not least... People who claim that they were the persons friend AFTER they die and make horribly ignorant comments to the media or family ect Its sick. Very sick.

What do you think about this issue?

Why do people feel bad once its to late and then forget the whole ting in a week or two thus starting a new cycle?

Its mind boggling to me!

***The caption is changed due to abuse and ignorance. I am not going to kill myself over some silly ignorant little girls. LOL. No. but they are apart of the abusive cycle that creates these types of situations. ganging up on people and bullying them is never ok. No matter how old you are.***

Last edited by Irishrain on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm
Of course they feel bad after the fact. Seems to me, most people only care about what is going on with them, not worrying about the impact they are having on everyone else. They feel the need to bully to boost their own ego, or whatever reason and then there is a huge reality check when they realise their actions have made someone take their life. It is a horrible and vicious cycle, but bullying is learned and until parents and caregivers stop the cycle, it will continue.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:50 am
Personally I don't think that bullies do feel sad when the person they bullied commits suicide. I think they just pretend to be sad. And I don't buy that bullying is always a learned behavior either. Because my son has been the bully at times, and he most certainly did not learn that from me! It's a vicious cycle that will never end. I think the best we can probably do is keep telling children how wrong it is to be a bully, and try to convince the bullied that suicide is not the solution.
Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 pm
I agree with Rayven to an extent. My son has been on the bad end of school bullies. He was pushed down stairs, called a F*gg*t, hit in the head and back with sticks. A colored boy threatened to stab him in the bathroom, and most recently he was punched in the face by some kid who used to be his friend because the MOTHER doesnt like my husband (long story short she smelled like tuna BAD, and my husband told his buddy about it who was a mutual friend and the wife of the buddy overheard the convo called the bullies mother and she flipped out on my husband.) Anyway The mother told her son to abuse my son at school! And the kid, Blake, actually told the teacher and the principle his mom said it was ok for him to abuse my son because of what my husband said. LAME! (and yes i flipped out on my husband for his insensitive commment)

But that doesnt change the fact that my son had NOTHING to do with that crap?! And on top of it all of the other bullying he has been through is horrible enough. Anyway My son comes home and fights with his brothers and sister because he gets abused at school and has to feel like he is in control of something so that makes us ground him or whatever and then he feels like WE abuse him. Gah! Which makes him feel depressed and unloved. -_-

The reason i looked up the youtube stuff was because my son said he felt like no one loved him and that some girl in his class told him to kill himself. -_- So i was showing him the mistakes that other people made when killing themselves and that school is NOT forever! I assured him there is a life after school. It made him feel better and he cried for the kids who died. Then he started asking about the kids who did the bullying. No one got into trouble, no one was arrested. Nothing... Its sick to me. I think if your child is so out of control that he is abusing and hurting other people to the point that other kids want to die because of him? Its time for reform school. Even mandatory placement by the state.
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm
Mandatory state placement should only be used as a last result. My son is in state's custody not because of bullying, but because of other behaviors. For example he wouldn't bathe, and he wouldn't go to school. For that matter there are still bullies at the residential facilities. My son has been both the bully and the bullied. My son recently got his nose broke in multiple places and had to have surgery to correct it. I can not blame the other child that did this however because my son was saying mean things to this kid. I hate to say it, but my son got what he deserved. Natural consequences. He has been much more careful of what he says since this incident. My son is finally starting to get better, but it has been a long time coming. He has been in state's custody for over 1 1/2 years. It has been very hard on him being away from home. Not to mention what it has done to me. To have your child taken from you is almost as bad as death as far as I'm concerned. I'm more in favor of seeing bullies get counseling, and being disciplined correctly at home for these behaviors. If all else fails perhaps a stay at a residential facility may help, but one must remember a couple of things if choosing or being forced to take this route. Your child may learn new, bad behaviors that they didn't previously know from the other children at the facility. Also, all the kids in these facilities have problems. They are not easy to be around. My son has attempted to do better at times only to fail because of having to deal with difficult individuals. Most of the children in these facilities are extremely volatile. As I stated before, I also feel that like you did with your son it is very important to teach our children that suicide is not the way out. That even though things may seem impossible to handle right now doesn't mean that things won't be better in the future.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 am
It is much worse these days due to the fact that people can pretend to be other people online and therefore makes it easier to be anonymous and pick on those that they believe is weaker.

I've had people try to bully me, but it never seemed to work. I don't know why, but I think because I never cared what people thought of me and if someone tries to pick on me, I just give it right back to them. I don't care what people think of me. I've been giving bullies hell since I could talk. Yes
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
9415/10000
Paganbeer

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm
Hooray for Bo! XD I learned that a long time ago...it's hard for people to bully you if you don't care what they think. Yes

@Irishrain: Another way to go is to take out your high school yearbook, show it to your son, take a walk down memory lane for a bit, and then tell him how many of these people you have kept in touch with. Wink The best thing we can teach our kids is that high school is not forever, and for most of us, it isn't the best time of our lives. There is a world of wonderful things that only happen after high school. Yes
Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:32 pm
A book I read a while ago talked about bullying. Book was fictional, characters were entirely not real. But one of the quotes that stuck with me was that what happened to one of the characters was not bullying. It was torture.

We shouldn't call it by a different name just because it is being done by teens.

I'm not sure we should be more lenient on some of these kids just because they're not adults either. There are some sick and twisted children out there. I think some of them are not redeemable as human beings. I'm thinking specifically of stories I saw about teens bullying a kid to death, and then showing no remorse after that kid's death. Instead trolling their memorial page. I don't think there were any consequences.

People like that have no place in society. They should be removed from it. Placed in an institution somewhere for the deranged. Far as I'm concerned there is no coming back from that.

I think we all need to work on teaching the people around us to be considerate of other people's feelings. And we need to check our own actions to make sure that we are leading by example. And standing up for people even when it's not convenient and we know in advance that the payback for doing so is going to be nothing good.

We ALL have a role to play. We need to make it clear to children that this is NOT okay and if we catch them doing it there will be consequences.

I don't know if that is a message all people can come together on, but it ought to be. So sick of hearing about victims and just this stupid, neverending cycle. I got my share as a kid and I will do everything I can to make certain me and mine are not behind that kind of abuse again.