Yes but number 2
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri May 25, 2018 3:14 pm
Scarz wrote:
I can see where the rocks could be used to distract a shooter, but unless there is a bucket of rocks at each desk, the kids would have to rush to where the rocks are, when seconds count.

Very true.

Scarz wrote:
Another problem seems that we, the USA have an over-prescribing drug problem; so many kids are on ADHD drugs of one kind or another and many think those drugs could be a part of the problem.

This may be true in some cases. However, the reason these children are even on medicine is because they had problems to begin with. It makes it hard to know which was the real cause. The original problems the child had, or the medication they were put on to deal with those problems.

I don't know what it's like to have a child with only ADHD, or ADD. Perhaps you can get by without medicating them. I suspect it would be hard, but doable. I think if you can get by without medicine it would be for the best.

As far as the dosage goes, that is definitely debatable. One of his doctors did overdose him on Lithium to the point of ruining his thyroid. I had no idea at the time because I'm not a doctor. His next doctor told me that was the cause of his sudden thyroid problems. I should probably be really angry at the doctor that did that, but I truly believe she was just trying to help. Yes, she should have known how much was too much, but we were all just trying to deal with a bad situation the best we could.

In regards to the threats my son made, I'm 100% positive those came from him, and he wasn't influenced by any medications he was on. He was trying to manipulate his teacher. No doubt she was trying to get him to do his schoolwork, and he thought if he said that it would get her off his back. He's been like that his whole life even when he's not on any medication. In the end, I did learn that medication can't fix everything. Some people are just broken.

Defender of the Realm
Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm
I know there have been cases where schools have said that students were a problem (usually boys) and advised the families to go to see a doctor. There was one school district (in New York, I think) where over 50% of the boys were on ADHD medication, because schools didn't want to deal with boys being boys. Those things they saw as signs of ADHD, like rambunctiousness, inattention and being easily distracted aren't always signs of of ADHD, sometimes that is just boys being boys. I've rarely heard of many girls being diagnosed with the problem.

I have heard of problems with lithium before and I believe doctors are being a bit more careful when prescribing it now, but even with advancement in development of medications, there are side effects (just watching the medication ads on TV make most side effects sound worse than the problem the medication is supposed to take care of). I couldn't even imagine what it is like to have a child with mental problems, especially since there seems to be no real effective solutions; but we can't just give up on them.

And once again we have another school shooting today, though not much is known about it yet, other than a teacher and student were shot and the shooter is in custody. . .I fear much of this is copy cats and shooters trying to one up the last one. This was in a middle school so now we have to figure out where the shooter got the gun because they would definitely be under 18. (now we know that he had two handguns) *sighs*

Dedicated Citizen
Sat May 26, 2018 12:26 am
I agree that ADHD is over-diagnosed. Most are just rowdy boys. If the alternative were true, and there really were that many of our children being born with problems, we need to figure out what's going on.

I did have a doctor tell me that the number of people with mental illness is increasing. He said there is something in the air, water we drink, and food that we eat. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on that. I think mental illness has always been around, but people just didn't talk about it. They didn't even know what they had. It is possible it's getting worse. The biggest reason is probably because the population has grown so much. The odds are that more will be born with some sort of issue.

That is true. E and I often joke that we wouldn't take any medicine that could result in death. That is definitely worse than what you had in the first place. Those commercials leave a lot to be desired.

No we shouldn't just give up, especially when they are children. That's my simple response. My full response is much more complicated and lengthy. I think I may need to write a book one day. *rolls eyes at self*

How awful. Copycats are always a risk when things are highly publicized, but people have a right to know what's going on. Maybe the key is not to have it on the news constantly.

Defender of the Realm
Sat May 26, 2018 1:27 am
I definitely agree, they should never give the name of the shooter, never show their face, and not give it 24/7 coverage. Don't try to cover it up, just not giving the appearance that they are glorifying it.

I do think there is something in the water, the air or something. . .people of the 50's and 60's were rarely allergic to peanuts or were lactose intolerant, etc. I have talked with a few people who grew up then and they tell me of even taking their rifles to school and leaving them n their cars or trucks, so that they could go hunting after school. . .and I don't ever remember hearing of school shootings back then.

Something has changed. . .and trying to find out what may be the clue for both the increase of mental illness and why these shootings continue.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat May 26, 2018 1:34 pm
Well there was, but not like now. I saw a documentary on this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Texas_tower_shooting

Listening to the survivors was very sad, but touching. In general though, things are much, much worse than they were at least in regards to school shootings and terrorism. At the same time, thousands of years ago whole villages were killed usually over land disputes, or some trivial matter that should have been worked out another way. There has always been, war, death, and tragedies. A lot of humans are still primal, violent creatures at their core. I'm not sure what my point is. It's too early in the morning. XD

Maybe there's not any one reason. I think there's probably several things that lead up to the perfect storm. We were not meant to live the lives we live now. When I was in college an expert on stress came in and gave a speech about how we were meant to handle the stress of hunting and gathering, and fight or flight. She said we were never meant to handle the kind of stress we deal with today like: OMG I hope I make it to my dentist appointment on time, rush to work, rush to make dinner, does this outfit make me look fat, etc. As a highly sensitive person with anxiety these things are really hard on me. I'm sure they are on everyone to a certain degree. We put so much pressure on ourselves to reach goals that are simply not attainable for everyone, and when we can't, we beat ourselves up.

Most people don't get enough physical activity, and men don't always get to relieve their aggression anymore. Years ago it was more acceptable to fight, and there were often battles to fight. Now men are supposed to be civilized, and you get into trouble when you fight. I have seen men just seethe with the inability to release the tension when they are angry, or pumped up about something. That testosterone has to go somewhere.

If it's in the air, water, and food, which it probably is, then we are in real trouble because that means it comes down to the same type of problem as global warming. That's not good because most people conveniently don't believe in it because they know the only way to fix it is to change, or give some things up and live simpler lives. The reason we're in this mess is because of progress, technology, and laziness. I'm all for technology and progress, but only if there are no consequences. No offense, because I love you all and I would miss talking to you, but if giving up my computer meant that the Earth and it's residents would be ok again, I'd give up my computer in a heartbeat. I don't know how many would join me, but I suspect not nearly enough. We should all be eating organic foods without chemicals in them, but how many people are going to start growing their own food again? Raising their own farm animals? In short, I think we've caused a lot of damage to our planet, and ourselves. I don't know how we're going to get enough people to focus long enough to find a solution. We're all so used to hearing about something really horrible that happened, going, "that's terrible", but then quickly moving on to other things.

Defender of the Realm
Sat May 26, 2018 2:39 pm
I forgot about the Texas tower shooting. . .that may have been the start of this whole thing, the shooter in that one was not a student, but an ex-serviceman.

Not to get off subject, but I have a problem with the church of Global Warming/Climate Change and their Pope Al Gore. Too much of what they preach as gospel, is not. They fudge numbers to get the results they want (look up the East Anglia emails as an example). Humans adapt, they survived the Ice Age (in fact I remember seeing the time Magazine from the 70's or 80's that said we were heading for a new Ice Age). The climate has been changing for a very long time and things like the "Paris Accord" have been shown that it would be dumping good money with little to no effect. The only thing that appears to come out of it is that more people in that church will have their pockets lined and little would actually be done. It really is a religion to some.

I am not sure I would have bought that stress expert's speech as man has handled stress since the beginning of time. . .how does worrying about an appointment or clothes, etc. stack up to worrying about having to find food, build shelters and so on. . .I think we have been stressed forever. . .maybe that is the problem. . .we have reached a boiling point.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat May 26, 2018 8:09 pm
I only learned about it in the last year or so. It was quite a bit before my time. XD It may have been the start. At the very least it's another example of someone who was in desperate need of help and/or babysitting.

I don't think it's off subject. The subject being world problems that may, or may not, be connected in some way. I believe if Global Warming is real more would be affected than just the environment. I believe we would be too.

I had to look those up because, as I stated before, I'm not good at research. Maybe that's a good thing since it can be fudged. XD I see what you're saying, and falsifying research is not the way to go about anything. All it does is confuse people, and make them distrustful. The Earth does go through natural cycles, and we are supposed to be due for another Ice Age in approximately 1500 years (at least I believe that's what I read one time). Humans adapt very well as long as the conditions are adaptable (there are some conditions we could never adapt to), and if we have the means/money to adapt in time depending on how quickly the changes happen.

What worries me is that I get sunburned way easier than I used to. I don't have to be out in the sun very long before I get red. The weather where I live is not as predictable as it used to be either. The patterns I knew, and relied on, most of my life have changed the last several years. They're not bad enough yet to be overly concerned, but I wonder what will happen next. What concerns me more is the why. If it's natural climate change, I'm ok with that. I just have a gut feeling that we can't continue on as we have without being faced with consequences eventually. I'm just as guilty as the next person though. I haven't gone "green", and I'm sure I have a big, fat carbon footprint.

I see your point. I'd like to talk to some Amish people to get a better idea. They might have the best of both worlds. I would not exactly call them primitive, but they don't want much to do with the modern world either. They lead what most of us would consider simpler, less stressful lives. I would be interested to know if they think their lives are less stressful. I do know that any time I have spent a day of hard labor, with no other stress to speak of, I found it fulfilling. Maybe I was just too tired to worry about anything. XD

Maybe. Perhaps we were supposed to be a little more laid back like animals, but we're not. Complex brains make everything more complicated.

Edit: I forgot to say up above that we still have the stress people of old had, plus we have new stresses. I think that's what concerned me. There is also the difference that most people now don't build their shelter, or hunt for their own food. Today we have to come up with the money to pay for those things. I guess it would depend on who you ask as to which method would be more stressful.

Defender of the Realm
Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 am
(sorry, another "wall of text".)

I think I am just more skeptical about the true intentions of many of the so-called leaders of the church of Global Warming/Climate Change. . .Al Gore seems to be making a fortune pushing it even though his first movie "An Inconvenient Truth", contained several convenient lies and he has the carbon footprint of a small country. . .Tom Steyer made almost all of his money in coal and now he has found the "light" and is making a fortune pushing "green energy". . .the list is long and growing, so I question their true motives.

The climate is changing, but not at the drastic levels the church espouses. They claim too much carbon dioxide (the main greenhouse gas they talk about) will kill us, but carbon dioxide helps the plants grow, the plants growing help provide oxygen. . .it is all related. But what they do not talk about is that the number one greenhouse gas is water vapor, yet they do not complain that water vapor is bad for us.

The Church also blames climate change for everything from forest fires to hurricanes to floods to volcanic eruptions. . .when you claim something is responsible for everything, to me, it is hard to even listen to what they have to say.

To me, it seems many of the things they are pushing about green energy are either pipe dreams or temporary stop-gap measures or ways for the government to find another way to tax us.

They push electric cars, but the majority of them get little better mileage than the original Baker electrics, just the batteries are better (there are exceptions like the Tesla, but they are out of reach, price-wise, for most Americans). What they do not tell you is than when you plug them in to be recharge, you are most likely using a coal-fired power plant for the electricity (so much for reducing your carbon footprint).

Solar and Wind energy both are great ideas, but they have limitations and drawbacks. Those giant wind turbines are unsightly (to some) and they are responsible for killing millions of birds including eagles and hawks.

Solar has the same problems. we have a giant mirror farm near here and it is responsible for thousands of bird deaths as well as the desert tortoises (a protected species). Their major limitations are that in order to provide enough power, say to New York City, you would almost need to have a solar field the size of Pennsylvania. . .

None of those are reasons to not continue to search for better sources, but I am always more comfortable when people actually tell the truth, instead of trying to sell us snake oil.

I think mankind has always had to deal with stress and I am sure that depending on what era one lived, they would think their time is more stressful. I hear even the Amish are not as anti-mechanical as they used to be. Most have telephones (though they are usually located outside of the home and only used in case of emergencies), their businesses use things like cell phones and computers, but only at their businesses.

I think we also have a problem in the way kids are growing up today. Too much social networking, too much video games and graphic movies, too little time spent outside. They do not even teach the kids cursive any more.Some teachers seem to spend more time trying to indoctrinate kids instead of teaching them (luckily that is not all teachers).

I don't believe in giving participation trophies or as they do in some case, not keeping score in sports.

And the bullying is out of control, although I do not understand how anyone can be cyber-bullied as all you have to do is ignore anyone online. . .but when it carries over to the schools, the schools sometimes are slow to respond, but that is no excuse for the actions of these killers.

(I can't believe how long-winded I am *chuckles*)

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 27, 2018 8:26 am
I don't think that you are long winded Sir Scarz, just very passionate about the current topic. Yes
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9650/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 pm
I agree with Bo. I love having long discussions about important topics. My fiance is not into that so I've been craving intellectual, adult conversations. I appreciate that you've been willing to discuss it with us. If I don't answer right away it is only because I'm trying to think of what I want to say next, and not because I've lost interest or find you long-winded. I'm a bit long-winded myself. XD

I think perhaps I've used the wrong term for what I'm concerned about. I said Global Warming when I probably should have said I'm concerned about climate change, the environment, and the effects these could have on us. I only used that term because it seems to be the general term people use today to describe man-made climate change, but I think that term may be too tangled up with Al Gore to be effective. I know very little about Al Gore and his enterprises. It sounds like they made some mistakes, and their motives may not be completely honorable. It never hurts to question people who try to tell you what to believe. Whether they are right, or wrong, we have a right to make up our own minds. I don't trust anyone 100%, especially politicians. I don't trust them at all. XD

I simply see changes and things that concern me. I see the trash that piles up everywhere. I always just upset when I hear talk of colonizing other planets. We've crapped up our own planet, what gives us the right to do it to another one?

Maybe I have an odd way of thinking, but I think of the planet kind of like a house. If you paint in your house you have to open some windows to let the fumes out because they're not good for you. Problem solved. What would happen if you didn't open the windows, and you painted every day? Unlike a house, the planet can't escape from fumes, chemical spills, landfills, etc. I'm sure some of this probably dissipates or gets cleansed, and doesn't cause any harm to our environment. But does it all dissipate, or does it build up? Will it build up to a point of no return? Is it all harmless when the planet and it's inhabitants are exposed to it every day? These are some of the many questions I have. I found this:

http://news.mit.edu/2015/rain-drops-attract-aerosols-clean-air-0828

I have a question though. Wouldn't the particles just soak into the ground since they're not in our atmosphere anymore? They've got to go somewhere, and I'm not sure the ground is any better than the atmosphere. My point is, I worry that harmful substances just get moved around, and that they're not truly gone.

Even if we found an alternative that is perfect in every other way, I doubt it would be affordable. Nothing is affordable anymore. That's a whole other can of worms.

It will truly be a shame when future generations can't read the original Constitution because it looks like a cross between something vaguely familiar and gibberish. However, when I was a kid I would have appreciated it if my teacher had said I didn't have to try to learn it anymore. I drove myself bonkers trying to form my letters perfectly.

I don't agree with that either. You're supposed to keep score in sports. Having said that, I'm probably ok with sports being taken out of schools, or at least changing some of the ways it's handled. I'm sure that won't be a popular response, but I'll tell you why I feel that way. For some kids, myself included, P.E. was torture. I never enjoyed being forced to participate in sports, or any kind of physical activity. I was not athletic, and I was very self-conscious. I felt like I was being put on display, which I know wasn't the intent, but that's how it felt. Having the coach pick two kids, and letting them pick their teams, is a rough process. The hopeful faces eventually become crestfallen when they are picked last. It is essentially telling them they are not good enough, and that no one likes them enough. This always happened to the kids that were deemed bad at sports, gross, or nerdy.

Luckily for me, even though everyone knew I was not going to be able to help the team win, I was usually chosen near the beginning or middle. That was only because I was fairly popular. Even as a very young child I knew that this was a popularity contest, and a contest of skill. I'm not going to say that any self-esteem issues I have are due to this, especially since I was not the least desirable classmate, but I can't speak for the poor kids that were picked last. I know it didn't feel good for them.

I have heard the arguments about how this teaches kids competition, life is a competition, and we might as well get used to it. Maybe, but I also don't think we need it pushed on us from the time we're 5 years old. Life will teach it to us naturally in time. We have the rest of our lives to be made to feel like we're not good enough. I think this is one of those areas that are only pleasant for the winner, and for the rest of us it's just an awful reminder.

I personally feel that there are a lot of areas, P.E. is just one example, that the school has been given too much authority. Yes kids need physical activity, but I'm not sure that should be the school's responsibility. School was originally meant to educate children, but now they're into every aspect of a child's life. I remember them sending home notes to tell us what we could pack in our kids' lunches. If I want to put a cupcake in my son's lunch that is my business. Not theirs.

Sorry for the rant. Back to the topic at hand. Who knows what might push a kid over the edge to commit a school shooting, or to become the adult that does? There is always a straw that breaks the camel's back. I'm not saying it's getting picked last in gym, but maybe it's that plus a million other things. Your average person might just have self-esteem issues or scars that never fully heal, but what about the person who has a little something extra "off" in their brain? How might they handle a lifetime of social slights?

Skip to junior high and high school, and they try to force you to take a shower in front of your classmates after gym. I'm not modest by nature, but I had to throw a fit about that. I think I got by with it too, but I don't remember how I got out of it. That is just an invitation for trouble. Boys probably aren't as bad, but girls are waayyy too catty for that. They talked bad about each other's bodies anyway. I was not setting myself up for that.

I have to completely, respectfully disagree about the cyber-bullying. Yes, we can choose not to go online, but with our lives so entangled in the online world that would be extremely hard. I think we all spend too much time online, but if we are going to be online, then we will have to make sure it's a safe place to be. Particularly for kids. Not to mention that if a child was being bullied online, and they decided to just stay off that site, I'm sure they would still get to hear about it at school. I can almost hear the, "Did you read what so and so wrote about you?" There's a good chance that if they're being bullied online they are also being bullied in real life. It would feel inescapable. It's not the job of the bullied to change their lives around the bullies. No one should have to accept being bullied as just a part of life, or change their lives accordingly around it.

Bullies have always been a part of life for some people, but the way we have dealt with them needs to change. We've always been told to ignore them, or to stand up to them. I think the world would be a much better place if bullies had real consequences for their actions. It should be treated as a real crime especially now that some people are using it as their excuse to commit a crime. I think in some cases there have been some consequences, but usually after it is too late. For example, after the bullied person commits suicide.

I was bullied for a time in junior high over something that happened outside of school that was not my fault. I finally reported it, but the school did nothing about it. A lot of bullied people don't report it out of fear that it will get worse. The school can't be blamed if they don't know, but if they know about it, they should have to do something about it.

I don't think bullying is the sole reason for school shootings, but I think it is part of it in some cases. I agree that it is no excuse for the atrocities that are being committed, but sometimes people snap. Or their thinking begins to change in unhealthy ways which enables them to start planning something like this. Why can't people just be kind to each other? At least that way, when something bad happened, we could take that factor out of the equation.

Defender of the Realm
Sun May 27, 2018 8:08 pm
I think a lot of people mistake Climate change and pollution, too. Pollution is a whole different thing and a big problem, too. Like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, you would think if people produced the problem, they should be able to come up with solutions to the problem.

I have read that there is a group that goes to Wake or Midway Island each year to try to clean up the garbage that accumulates there, it seems the currents like to deposit much of the garbage there.

But I also remember being taught about how the aerosals blew a hole in the ozone layer; yet if you questioned the teacher about what effect Mt. St. Helen's eruption or other volcanic eruptions had on the ozone layer; they would gloss over it or not wanting to discuss it at all. A case of what was asked didn't fit, in their mind, with what they were teaching; even though the damage by volcanic eruptions is worse. I see it as selective outrage over something we could and did do something about vs something we have no control over.

The Earth actually is pretty good at scrubbing herself after our mistakes; but she needs help at times, too. I remember reading where they went back to the sites of some major oil spills after 10 or 20 years and were able to still find evidence that those events happened, but that between the tides and man's efforts, life returned and the area actually cleaned up. Now, I understand they even have developed oil-eating enzymes to help with any cleanups. But we can always do more.

I am also not a fan of a school telling me I can or cannot take a twinky to school as part of my lunch. I remember that Michelle Obama pushed for healthier meals at school. . .but I also remember that kids revolted over those meals. Many kids (especially from the poorer areas) never had salads and rarely had fresh fruit, so much of that was being wasted and thrown away.

A lot of schools use to have actual hot lunches prepared at the school in their own kitchens, not microwavable food sent from a main distribution kitchen; and unfortunately decisions to get rid of individual kitchens had to have been a matter of"saving money". . .funny though how all that "saved money" never made it back into the schools.

I think PE is important, especially with the continuing increase of obesity among children, but I know some schools here handled it a little different than just having kids play kickball or volleyball or those kinds of sports. One offered alternatives like bowling or swimming (after hours or on the weekends). I think just getting kids to try to be or eat a little healthier is a good thing, but dictating what they "have" to do, not so much.

Maybe I don't understand cyber-bullying, at least that which actually takes place online only; as to me one should be able to ignore idiots online. . .I have noticed that many people are brave and cruel when they are anonymous online. . .but someone that you know or knows you, you should be able to use what they say when reporting them. It is horrible when parents or schools or authorities ignore such problems.

Another problem is that many kids are in single parent households and it seems the kids are raising themselves, sometimes. There are also some parents that seem too self-absorbed to even pay attention to what is going on with their kids. I saw an article the other day where a teacher asked kids if they could get rid of one invention, what would it be and why. . .One kid said cell phones, because his Mommy was on it all the time. . .out of the mouths of babes.

The "do unto others" would be wonderful, but we are still dealing with people and all their flaws, their prejudices and hatreds. . .it seems that people only come together after something bad happens. . .and even then we don't quite completely come together as we still have people choosing sides, especially in the case of shootings. . .gun control. . .but we have to start somewhere.

(and you can rant all you like, it is much better to let it out than to hold it in. . .(I think Shrek said that, but I think he was talking about something else)

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 28, 2018 2:59 pm
I think I'll have to leave a longer message later, or possibly tomorrow. I'm not feeling very well today. My stomach hates me, and I didn't get very much sleep. I will be back though. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 28, 2018 6:10 pm
If only I had thought of this during an event...just imagine all the currency you'd be getting with these giant posts. XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9650/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
Mon May 28, 2018 7:20 pm
We definitely wouldn't have had to worry whether or not we could have collected enough event currency, lady bo.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 pm
Bo-You're so right about that. Maybe during the next event you'll think of another juicy question. XD

Sir Scarz-I am back, better than ever, and ready to post! XD Oh and thank you for not minding my little rant the other day. I think Shrek had the right idea. XD

That is a whole lot of trash. *shakes head* We should be able to fix our mistakes, and learn not to make them in the first place. There are just too many people who don't care to do better. We need to find a better way to dispose of our trash besides just throwing it all over the place, or having it end up in a landfill. Some way that would actually make it disappear, but that would probably involve burning it. That would have it's own risks, and require a lot of manpower.

It's always good to see people that care like that. Where I live trash accumulates in my back yard. Partly due to the wind, and partly due to the frat house next door. Rolling Eyes I go out and pick it up sometimes, but it comes back very fast.

I have no doubt that you're right about the volcanic eruptions, but I would never had thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it. I tend to only worry about what messes humans make, and not what naturally occurs in nature. I guess I feel like we have no control over that. Plus I fear that the planet is no match for the billions of people all over the world putting bad things into the environment every day. Ideally I don't want us adding to the Earth's naturally occurring problems, but that is probably too much to hope for.

I imagine those enzymes would be a lifesaver. Those oil spills are a nightmare. I think that's the most we can hope for. To do better, try harder. All we can do is our best, but I think that's been my problem all along. I haven't felt like we're going our best. If we were, we wouldn't still be seeing so many unacceptable things. Like floating trash the size of France that never should have been there to begin with. E says the Philippines is like that. Just trash everywhere. In the ocean and on land. We were just talking about that the other day. I mentioned the Smokey Mountains here in the U.S. He looked at me funny, and said, "We have those too." Turns out we were talking about two different things. If you Google "Smokey Mountains Philippines" you will not see beautiful mountains.

I think that everyone, including kids, needs to eat healthier, but I am not ok with having it forced on me. I am ok with someone whose heart is in the right place making suggestions, and giving ideas on how to do something better.

That seems to be the new theme in the U.S. now. If people don't like what you're doing, they will try to force you into doing things their way. Even down to the small stuff, and personal choices. We are constantly making new rules and laws, but we don't enforce the ones we have very well. It seems that everyone has forgotten that the United States of America was supposed to be synonymous with freedom. It is true that we still have more freedom than some countries, and I am thankful for that.

I will tell you what E said though. I found it rather profound to get a foreigner's opinion, and have it support what I've felt happening for a long time. He said that he had a way different idea of the U.S. than what he found when he got here. He thought we were really, and truly free. He was disappointed to discover that we actually have our hands tied most of the time, and we were not truly as free as he thought. You almost can't walk down the street without breaking some kind of law, or somebody's rule. He is impressed that most people follow the traffic laws though. Apparently driving over there is utter chaos.

Back to eating healthy, it would really help if it was made more affordable. As you mentioned, I'm sure a lot of kids from poor families rarely get to eat fruits and vegetables. I rarely buy them myself. I always cringe at the prices, especially when I consider that most of it will rot before I can eat it all.

I remember hot lunches made at my school. I didn't know those didn't exist anymore. Maybe they still do in some of the smaller, rural areas. I don't know because I don't have kids in school anymore. It always seems to work that way. Teachers still get stuck having to pay for a lot of their supplies. No one should have to pay for their work supplies out of their own paycheck. Bless the ones that do for the benefit of the kids. The money they were "saving" could have went to that.

I think it would be nice if we could just have them walk, and learn to be ok with it. Walking seems to be a dirty word to most people. Watch people's faces when you tell them they'll have to walk farther than the distance between the couch to the bathroom. Their faces usually scrunch up in disgust. What would these same people do if they had been born before cars?! What a lazy group of people we have become. I'm not a hypocrite. I will include myself in that, but I also do not throw a fit if I have to walk a ways.

Perhaps it depends on the level of bullying/stalking, and how sensitive the person being bullied is. True. We can't fix anything if we ignore it.

That is a shame. Some parents didn't pay enough attention to their kids before cell phones were a thing. Now the situation may be hopeless in some cases. Some people just shouldn't have kids. Anyone who does should know before they begin that it is a 24/7 job, and you won't have much time to just be you. It's ok to feel that you need more "me time", and that kids aren't for you. I don't find that selfish, but the key is to figure it out before you have kids so that the kids do not suffer. The problem is most people don't figure that out until after they have kids. I had no idea what having a child entailed. I was in for a big awakening. Shocked

Too true. Such a simple guideline seems so hard for some people to understand, or follow. We can't give up trying to teach it though, or we're just going to have more of the same.

We all have to get on the same page of the same book. My Dad has always been against gun control, and still is. If a TV show is talking about it he will turn the channel, and he dislikes any politician who dares to even mention it. He is a man of principle, and he sticks to those principles. It's not that he doesn't care when people get shot. I don't think that gun control is the foolproof answer to this problem either. However, I'm desperate for these school shootings to stop, and the other day I told my Dad that these kids deserve to go to school without being shot. For the first time, instead of freaking out thinking I might be suggesting some form of gun control, he simply said, "Yes they do." It's a start. I think it's going to take all of us getting sick enough of it to find solutions, and to make some compromises.
Page 4 of 16