40%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:49 pm
I'm really glad that you and Riley have found alternative treatments that work for you both.

I had a work friend once, and her sister died of stomach cancer. We talked about her a lot because we were friends, and she sold me her sister's car after she passed. She told me that her sister had been in so much pain even though she was taking both oxycodone and oxycontin. She said that her sister was just drugged up all the time, but still in horrific pain. I'm sorry she passed away, but I'm glad that her suffering is over. In her particular case I definitely can't blame her for taking opioids.

I only have a few personal, very short term experiences with opioids. They gave me Demerol when I was in labor. It was useless. It just make me feel drunk, but I was still in a lot of pain. They gave me Percocets after a surgery I had one time. Those did help, but they made me sleep too much. I didn't like that. They gave me Morphine before I left the hospital for that same surgery. I believe it helped, but I was so out of it still it was hard to tell. Turns out I'm allergic to Morphine. My throat tried to close up so I can never take that again. I kept wondering why I was having trouble swallowing, but I was still so groggy from being put out that I didn't connect the dots until later.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:23 pm
Having alternates to opioids, is important. I can understand having a minimal amount of help with drugs, but also with other things, such as swimming, gentle stretching, massages (so freaking good), physiotherapy...I mean, the list of other things goes on...and on and on. Laughing

I'll put up another question later. I'm not fully with it lately. Sigh
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8100/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:06 pm
Bo I can't find the question. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:28 am
That is because I hadn't posted the question as yet Rayven. I only posted to say I was going to be posting one later as my head wasn't with it. Razz

Here is the question.

Would it be more frightening to discover that humans are the most advanced species in the universe or that we are far from being the most advanced species in the universe?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8100/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:02 pm
Well the title said "New Question Up" so I thought maybe I missed something Bo. Razz XD

Personally I think it would be more frightening to know that we are the most advanced. Because if we are, the universe is in real trouble. XD Seriously though, my ego has never been so big as to even assume that I'm better or smarter than animals. I believe we think differently, but animals are not stupid. I'm sure there are some animals that are not as smart as others, but that goes for humans as well. I've met some pretty dumb humans, and even smart humans do dumb things. If I discovered that there was another species in the universe it wouldn't bother me at all if they were more advanced. My only concern would be how they would use the extra knowledge. If they used it to have power over us that would be really bad, but it would be wonderful if they used it to teach us.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:53 pm
That's a tough one for me.

I do share Rayven's view, that if we are the most advanced species in the universe, that is indeed frightening. And we're screwed regarding survival of our species.

However, if we are not the most advanced species in the universe, and there are "aliens" somewhere out there, it could go many ways. But I've seen enough sci-fi and horror movies to consider the possibility that it usually doesn't go well for humans.

Regarding animals, I think humans are definitely the more advanced species. But as Rayven said, that does not mean that animals are stupid. Some species are very intelligent. But, that leads me to another question. How are we defining 'most advanced'?

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:51 am
Riley made a couple of excellent points. First, if we are not the most advanced it probably wouldn't bode well for us. It goes back to what I mentioned about humans and animals. Some humans believe it's alright to do whatever they want to animals based on the fact that they feel superior to them. If a more advanced species could easily dominate us, as we have done to animals, we are most likely in big trouble.

Second, yes, how do we define more advanced? I think most people would define it by technological capabilities. Personally, I think that's only part of it, and, for me, not all that important. Technology has it's uses, but it also comes at a price. More advanced could mean that a life form has developed special adaptations to become better suited to it's environment. It could also mean developing a higher state of consciousness. I'm much more interested in the latter two possibilities. I don't really care if someone has better weapons than me as long as they don't use it against me. However, if they've developed a way to time travel, I'm game.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:54 am
Technology definitely. I think health care can also be included into the factors of 'most advanced'. Without the progress we've made in health care, I wonder where our population would be now. Especially without vaccines. Or antiseptics.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:31 pm
That's another good one Riley. That's actually another good topic. Medical advances-should we strive to be 150 years old? XD

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm
*whispers* That was for the previous question. Embarassed

I would be frightened to discover that we are the most advanced species in the universe. I don't believe we are though. There are animals out there that are clearly more advanced than we are. Like ants, they work together and don't try and kill each other off due to different religious, political or whatever god damn belief it is that causes people to kill each other off needlessly. I believe we are being watched by more advanced species, waiting for us to grow the hell up from all this war and b.s. that we are going through to evolve again.

I think in the case of discovering that we are far from being the most advanced species in the universe, there probably would be mass hysteria in a lot of areas due to people being seriously closed minded to the fact that, there is something more out there than what they believe. After all, the world is "only 4,000 years old". Laughing

I would honestly be interested in seeing what the reaction of the masses would be if it were announced that a more advanced species had made contact with us. I wonder if it would be like the alleged mass hysteria back when they did plays on the radio and they did an extremely realistic version of the War of the Worlds, here is the wiki page for it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_of_the_Worlds_(radio_drama). I watched a Netflix thing on it and found it interesting.
8100/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm
Mass hysteria is a real concern. When people panic it's not pretty. I do believe that our governments would probably keep something like an advanced species a secret as long as they possibly could to avoid that. It's not even a conspiracy theory. Just common sense. It's like not telling your child that they will need surgery if you're not positive they will yet. Why worry them? Although I'm not completely sure that a government's motives for secrecy would be so altruistic. I don't think they would tell us if the world was ending unless there was some way we could help stop it.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 am
I've been focused on uni atm and feeling a little on the stressed side. I'm going to withdraw from one unit and just focus on the other unit to pass and get off academic suspension due to my health hating on me. D:

But anyway, here is today's question.

With everything going on in the world today, do you think that we will see a World War III, or is the majority of it the world leaders puffing out their chests and putting on a show to scare people?
8100/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 pm
Bo I'm sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. I hope things get better for you.

My answer isn't going to be scholarly today because my dog is very sick, I haven't been getting enough sleep, and I'm in a horrible mood because of all that.

War is inevitable because humans are stupid, vain, greedy, and destructive. I believe there will eventually be a World War III. There is a lot of chest puffing too, but at some point someone will lose their temper and go too far. I just hope it isn't something that we can't come back from. Nuclear or biological warfare would have devastating effects on the planet.

Fear is the only thing that keeps most people in line. Usually they realize that if they do something to someone that it can, and very likely will, come back on them. If you take fear out of the equation things can escalate quickly. People with religious motivations are particularly dangerous because they believe that their actions are highly justified, and that there will be no consequences, only rewards, for their actions. People with too much pride or nothing left to lose can be dangerous too.

Humans were given the capacity for intelligence and emotions. We were not given an easy way to control either of those abilities, and we often abuse our advantages. For me it always goes back to animals and how they can do the same thing we do, but somehow they do it better. For example, they have territory disputes just like we do, but with far less devastating consequences. A few animals may lose their lives, but the whole country or planet isn't put in danger.

Our intelligence has allowed us to create some amazing things. I truly feel that is the only advantage we have over animals. Animals are happy with their simple lives, and what they have. We are not. We will go to war using sophisticated weapons that were designed with intelligence, and made by human hands. I think we got the raw end of the deal.

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 pm
*hugs Bo and Rayven* That doesn't sound like fun for either of you No I hope things turn around soon.

I'm not sure how biased my answer is going to be at the moment. Not sure if you guys heard about Stephon Clark being killed by the police recently. But it happened close to where I live, and there has been protests like crazy. I was 40 min late to work one night, and almost late last night. The videos have been disturbing, so I'm sure this whole thing will influence my answer.

With that said. When I was younger, I believed there would be a WWIII at some point, but now that I'm much older, I'm not so sure if that will happen, to be honest. I think the world leaders are in a game of chicken right now. They're fluffing their feathers and doing things to antagonize each other, but I'm not sure to what end. A world war won't be like the last world wars. Our military and weapons are more advanced, and therefore have far more debilitating consequences now. We didn't have drones for the last world wars. Other countries didn't have the weapons we had and or have. The thought of WWIII is scary, but I think even the most walnut-brained leader (no names *coughcough*) has some small semblance of an understanding of what initiating WWIII would mean. Or I could be wrong and he could wake up one morning and think, 'ah, screw it'....

I don't think we're headed to a WWIII, I think the U.S might be headed toward another civil war, or some kind of revolution. There is so much hate and discord going around, I think the people who are trying to promote love and harmony are getting tired. I know I've been exhausted the past week, and I haven't really been engaging in any discussions with people. But I feel the negative energy, and it's heartbreaking.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:18 pm
*hugs Riley* Thank you.

I agree with Riley. Things are a bit of a mess here in the U.S. right now, and they have been off and on for a while. I have had to deal with that where I live too. I have quite a bit to say on the matter, but I think I'll keep my opinions to myself. XD I will say that I've always felt that the U.S. will undergo changes at some point. Most countries do. Actually we've held it together longer than I thought we would. There have been a few times that I thought we were on the brink of something, but things seemed to stay held together just enough.
Page 2 of 8