33%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 6

Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 pm
Amen to that Queen Blaze! Yes *claps hands* For one thing, it's hard to find time to be creative if you're busy worrying about how to survive. We live in a society driven by greed, and we are only seen as having value if we are another cog in the wheel. Things like creativity, kindness, and freethinking are undervalued. Many artists, writers, inventors, and philosophers have been told, "Don't waste your time on that. You need to get a real job.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't earn their keep, but I just think it's a real shame that good qualities and talents are seen as less than nothing.

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:03 pm
New topic coming up!

So...I will watch medical procedures on tv, well, anything reality medical type procedures (Not talking House or Grey's Anatomy here), because I find it fascinating...and slightly disturbing. I've recently watched Botched Up Bodies on Netflix and I learnt some disturbing things, let me tell you that now lol.

Anyway, it got me thinking. We live in a weirdly vain world. Cosmetic surgery, not to mention all the other cosmetic enhancements that can be done, is a booming business. And on a global scale, not exactly regulated in a way that gives you faith in the system. Especially since most of the issues seem to happen when it comes to going abroad for treatment instead of being local and saving so much more money in the long run.

Cosmetic surgery, cosmetic enhancements. Are they worth it in the long run? Are they worth it now? What is the point of it all if you are not fixing a major problem or restoring something that you lost due to cancer or an accident or the like? What are your thoughts on the topic?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
9320/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:21 am
Great questions Bo. Very Happy

I've changed my mind about this topic many times over the years, so many I've lost count. When I was younger I thought it was horrible to get plastic surgery, and to put ourselves through pain for the sake of vanity. I now realize that there are many reasons a person might get plastic surgery, and that some of the procedures are needed for medical reasons. Now that I've gotten older, and I've started to see things about myself that I don't like, I don't judge people as harshly even when they are doing it purely for aesthetic reasons. It's not good for a person to be extremely insecure about themselves. It can cause anxiety, depression, and it may even cause them to withdraw from other people. It's important for us to have good self-esteem. Ideally self-esteem should come from within us, but being human is complicated.

I feel that there should be firm limits though. No one needs to look like a cat, or to be their favorite celebrity's doppelganger. Anyone who would put their body through something that drastic should be urged to seek professional help. The industry and doctors should have more regulations, and they need to take a serious look at what is ethical. Currently, as long as the person can afford to fork up some serious cash, they can find some "doctor" to give them what they want no matter how ridiculous or harmful it might be. It's none of my business what someone else does with their body. However, if what the person wants done requires medical help to do it, there should be regulations. We can't just walk into a hospital and demand an appendectomy when we don't need one because it wouldn't be considered ethical or safe. I think it's reasonable to hold plastic surgeons to the same standards. The only difference is that they would have to take into account how a procedure might help, or harm, an individual psychologically as well as physically. It wouldn't hurt for them to have some training in psychology since they don't seem to know when a person is mentally ill and their problems can't be solved by surgery.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 am
I mean, I can understand the reason behind someone getting cosmetic surgery due to say, breast cancer. I can also understand people removing their breasts because they have the cancer causing gene and they want to try to avoid having to deal with cancer in the long run by removing the problem early and then getting breast reconstruction surgery done to become "whole/normal" again. That being said, even though it is the gene for breast cancer...who is really to say that the cancer will only occur in the breast tissue? But that is a whole other topic really. Laughing

The thing that gets me the most, is the people who do do it for the sheer vanity of it all. Because we now live in an Instagram world, everything and I mean EVERYTHING, has to be perfect. Perfect eyes, perfect nose, perfect lips, perfect face, perfect boobs, perfect body. I mean, I don't put much stock in changing your body with surgery to be perfect. People who go under the knife for any sort of gastric surgery, being the band or staples put in, tend to require cosmetic surgery to remove the excess skin that they have gained due to the sometimes rapid loss of weight doesn't allow the skin to naturally regain it's shape. In a lot of causes though, because the skin has stretched so much, it can't "bounce back".

And I do get the self-esteem part of it. But, I am of the mindset of, don't get major cosmetic surgery done in your teens or early twenties, especially when it comes to breast implants. Most people's bodies are still growing and being shaped in that time.

I understand...but I am so damn conflicted by it all. Sigh
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
9320/10000
Scarz

Defender of the Realm
a.k.a. The Traipsing Knight
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:13 pm
I am not a big fan of non-medical reasons for plastic surgery, mainly because we see so many people who look butchered or too plastic as a result of their surgeries. . .

Stallone looks like "Rocky" after getting his face beat to a pulp. . .

Steve Wynn and Wayne Newton look like caricatures of their former selves. . .

Then there's Cher. . .plastic, don't get a candle too close or my face will melt Cher. . .once beautiful, now pathetic-looking.

I also love the ones who get plastic surgery and think no one will ever notice the difference. . .like Jennifer Grey, as someone who like her quirky looks in "Dirty Dancing" and "Red Dawn". . .imagine my shock when she appeared after that now-infamous nose-job that almost ruined her career. . .vanity, oh vanity, twill be the ruin of us all.

I guess some people haven't a clue how to grow old gracefully.

Lady Rayven, I agree, I have no clue why someone would want to look like a cat or a lizard complete with scales other than a touch of insanity. After seeing so many horrible results, I can't believe that anyone would even chance it, other than for medical reasons.

And certainly no teenager should be put under the knife simply for vanity.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:47 pm
What about Mickey Rourke? That guy is bloody terrifying to look at now. What the hell did he do to his face?!

And I am inclined to agree about Jennifer Grey. Her nose suited her face...and then who the hell was she? "In a recent interview for Channel 5 (UK), she said that having plastic surgery to her nose was the worst mistake she had ever made. This was because she was no longer recognizable as the girl from the film Dirty Dancing (1987), just somebody who looked a bit like her." She regrets it now. I could understand if she was having trouble breathing, or something similar...but no. I do however understand wanting a smaller nose, I don't mean completely butchered with no chance of being able to fix it without taking skin and cartilage from elsewhere, but like a minor tweak to shrink an obviously huge nose.

And then there is a whole other side of this that I had forgotten about. But wanting to look more like a certain race to become...or at least achieve more success...or something. I honestly do not and can not understand why Asians in particular, WANT to look white. They want white style eyes, they want white skin. I honestly do not understand it. And I watched a program, hosted by an Australian born woman of Asian descent (is that the word? Confused ), and young Asian kids, mostly teenage girls, wanting to change their appearance so that they could fit in with the people around them who aren't Asian, but are white Australians.

And that "Cat Woman" is freaky as hell. thunk
9320/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:27 pm
Part of the problem is how we judge and criticize each other. Everyone is guilty of it. I've even caught myself saying, "She used to be pretty when she was younger." It's hard to grow old gracefully when we know people are thinking those things about us.

The excess skin can be caused from non-surgical weight loss too. That's one of the ugly truths about weight loss that no one warns you about beforehand. It's a lose-lose situation. Overweight people are told they're not attractive, but when they lose weight and have extra skin they're still told they're not attractive. That's not to say that the only good reason to remove extra skin is to look perfect. There are medical reasons to do it too.

I doubt many would get plastic surgery, under normal circumstances, if they hadn't been criticized at some point, or if our cultures didn't have such strict beauty standards. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think we have to stop letting commercials, models, celebrities, magazines, movies, etc. tell us what beautiful is. We have to change our mindset. There are a whole lot of perfectionists out there who make everyone feel like they're not good enough.

Defender of the Realm
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:34 pm
There is one good thing about the removal of that extra skin, it can be used to help treat burn victims. . .I don't believe a lot of so-called "famous people" have plastic surgery because they are told they are not attractive, in their case it mostly is vanity. What I don't understand is don't they check how others have turned out from specific plastic surgeons. . .in the cases of Stallone, Wynn and Newton, they all look like they went to a discount plastic surgeon. . .Cher looks like she went to one that actually uses plastic.

They also say it is an addiction. . .Joan Rivers was so addicted to plastic surgery that it killed her.

I understand that everyone is not the same, but placing too much emphasis on what others think of us can definitely lead to self-destruction.

Lady bo, I forgot to add Mickey Rourke to that list, he definitely looks like he went to a cut-rate plastic surgeon, too!

I saw a few of the articles and interviews Jennifer Grey did after she had the "nose job". . .she definitely regrets it.

And how can we forget Michael Jackson and the mutilation of his face. . .his nose was so small he had to use a q-tip to pick it.

I hadn't heard about the Asians trying to look white. . .in the USA it seems the worst thing you can do now is "look or be white". . .I had a Japanese friend that said she always wanted blonde hair and blues eyes as a little girl, when she got older she died her hair blonde and got blue contacts and realized she was never meant to have either. . .she now is back to being herself and her husband is glad she's back.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:31 pm
I can understand addiction. I'm personally addicted to getting tattoos done. After getting three done last year, I said no more tattoos for at least two years. Guess who is booked in to get another 3 tattoos (separate but kinda together, building up a memorial piece for those I've lost who made an impact on my life) done in July. Was going to get it done last month, but no money for it. But seriously, after this, no more tattoos for at least two years. (Can already see where this is heading) XD

Joan Rivers, early plastic surgery years, not too bad. Later years, kinda verging on the Mickey Rourke side of things...but he may have drawn inspiration from Joan Rivers.

I'd forgotten about Michael Jackson getting his nose done. Wasn't it rumored that he wanted to look more like Elizabeth Taylor? I mean, she was a beautiful woman that is for sure. Makes me wonder if she had had any enhancements.

As for the Asians going white thing, I've seen short videos where a young Asian woman will use makeup to make herself look paler. I don't know if it is a throwback to the geisha of old, but I think in more modern times, it's the want to fit in, in a "white" world. I've noticed a few of the Asian pop-stars who are paler in their music videos and when they are out working, then back in their pre-fame days. Especially the males. It is seriously odd to me. Confused
9320/10000
Rayven

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13 am
Scarz wrote:
What I don't understand is don't they check how others have turned out from specific plastic surgeons. . .in the cases of Stallone, Wynn and Newton, they all look like they went to a discount plastic surgeon. . .

My Mom and I have wondered the same thing. Maybe they do pick really bad surgeons, or maybe they try to do too much. Asking to look like you're 20 when you're really 65 is asking too much. I've noticed that the ones that try to keep it simple look better. My friend's mom had a Lifestyle Lift. She looked great! You couldn't even tell she had work done except that her turkey neck was gone. XD Plastic surgery may look better on certain people too due to bone structure and what kind of shape their skin is in. I'm just guessing on that though.

Defender of the Realm
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:29 am
Lady bo, I had heard that michael Jackson was trying to look like elizabeth Taylor. . .not sure if it was true or not.

Lady Rayven, I have seen some of those lifestyle lifts, in the ones I have seen none of the people went to any extreme, a few wrinkles removed, a slight face lift, a tummy tuck, just enough that others noticed something was different about them without thinking "OMG what have you done?"

Long-term Citizen
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:09 am
BO!!!! How is Bo?!

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 am
Hey Turtle Heart

Kinda forgot about this thread due to uni taking me down that creek and it's under my chin already. XD

So, time for a new question, especially since we have a new event and Bo needs goats. Yes Laughing

Does hardship make a person stronger? If so, under what conditions and at what point is it too much hardship? If not, what makes a person stronger?
9320/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 19, 2019 5:09 am
Hardship can definitely help shape a person, positively or negatively. I think that largely depends on the individual person. I'm stubborn and don't give up easily. I'll fight my way through whatever just to spite the universe. Along the way, I'll let the experience strengthen my character. I know how to figure things out and I'll figure out what I need to do to get to where I want to be. Then, when the next experience comes around, I'm better equipped.

On the other hand, I know people who have been dealt a crappy hand in life, and never really found their way. I'm not sure if they chose to give up, or tried and didn't get very far and then decided to give up, or if it was something else. Their attitude was that the world was conspiring against them, why bother trying, and then they became bitter towards people who were successful at figuring things out.

So I think it can go either way.

Dedicated Citizen
Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm
I am in total agreement that it can go either way. The majority of people who I've come across, are definitely shaped by whatever hardships have been thrown at them and have grown and moved on from it, typically to the next hardship in their life, but they know how to deal with it and depending on the circumstances, can deal with it quickly instead of letting it sit there and fester like a boil.

On the other hand, there are some, who definitely create their own hardships and expect others to help them get out of it and then wonder why the hell they are back where they started again. I knew someone like that, for 9 years I tried to help them think right, do right, get back on the right track. But she was always playing the victim and in the end, right at the start of my own personal downward health spiral, I walked away. She ended up getting pregnant to a guy and then the issues started to pile up. And in the end, I didn't want a bar of it. I think...a year or maybe even three years ago now, she tried to call me, but I didn't answer my phone. I was either busy, or didn't recognise the number, or I still had her number with her name and was like, "F*UCK THAT! NOPE!". I listened to the voice message and it was like a, "Hey how you doing, give me a call back when you can." kinda message. Bo was still like, "HELL NO!" and lived happily ever after. XD

I think when it comes to someone's health, especially going through periods of not knowing what the hell was wrong with you, why the doctors don't have answers, being given medication that makes things worse or doesn't work, it's damn hard. You don't know how you will cope, you go through periods of thinking that you would be better off dead because at least then you won't be suffering. You just want it all to end. If you can get through all those things and come out on the other side with a better view on life than when you started, then the hardship that you went through has definitely made you stronger.

Not everyone can come through the other side in better shape than they went in. But if you can get broken down on so many levels and then come out whole and stronger on the other side, then you can take on anything and know that you can and you will survive anything that life throws at you.

I think I am lucky, I started out being so damn negative, in part the medication that I was on was not helping me and I had to go back to the specialist just to change the medication, but then again, being so negative went hand in hand with being in high levels of constant pain every second of every day. I'm in a much better place these days, especially when I realised that I'm being more social with my family (at least not hiding away in my room as much due to the pain and all the fun stuff that comes with it...plus dad's constant "Do you want to go to the hospital?" when it is the middle of the night and the medication has yet to kick in), I'm laughing more, I'm not as withdrawn, I can walk over 1.5km and not be in huge amounts of pain immediately after I stop moving. So for all I've been through with my health in the last 8-10 years, I've definitely come out stronger. I'm never going to get better, but I am coping and managing to live my life and if that doesn't say winning, I don't know what does.
9320/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Scholars' Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12