40%  [ 2 ]
Yes but number 2
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Amurita

Knight of Zantarni
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:58 am
This is a very tough question for me to answer.

On the one hand, like others have said, I feel like it is possible that people might want to genetically alter traits that some people see as negative, but others see as positives.

I was initially thinking that, maybe if these traits harm other people and this was a repeated offense where jail or therapy doesn't help, that this would be like a last resort in order to stop them from repeating their crimes. For example, increased aggression that actually leads to murder. I was also thinking of pedophiles as well, like Riley mentioned. However, it is interesting to think of whether this could lead to a slippery slope as well. And also if it would fundamentally change a person or awaken a different trait like Riley also mentioned.

While I think that altering genetics to create 'designer babies' is a bad idea, I can't help but think that removing traits that leads to harming others could be beneficial in extreme situations. But it would require a lot of extensive testing to see if there would be side effects...

Hmmm...this is a very tough question...

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pm
It's like a huge moral and ethical issue. While on one hand, yes, it would be great to get rid of the traits of people who murder other people because they enjoy it, and not out of self defense or self preservation to get away from physical, mental, emotional, sexual abuse either for themselves or for another person in their care, people who want to harm people in any way shape or form. I mean, I could go on and on and on, but where would it stop? That is the dilemma that society faces. And then the different cultures all around the world. What would they do? Would they make the same choices as I would? In a way, it is good that there are standards for things in scientific research that in a way, prevent this sort of thing from happening. I'm sure the NAZIs would have been big advocates for this because then they could erase what they believed were inferior human traits.

Anyway, I think it is time for a new question, because that one was bloody heavy. Shocked

Do business owners have the right to refuse service to customers?
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8100/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> The Scholar's Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8