2022 Reading Goals
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:52 pm
It's that time of year again when we set reading goals for the year! And while you keep track of the books you read, feel free to chat about them too.

Chat Topics:
Are there any books you're looking forward to reading? What genre do you usually read?
Are you going to try to read The Wheel of Time before watching it?
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:53 pm
I'm going for 30 this year!

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

Past Goals
Phoenix Luna Blaze Cloud

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:45 am
I think I'll go for 26 specifically this year! A book every 2 weeks seems to be pretty good. Maybe I'll finally read the Hunger Games books this year. I've had them forever and just never gotten around to them.

Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:51 pm
*reserves my spot*

Exclamation I actually want to read fewer books this year than my average of 50.

I want to spend more time painting and drawing than the last couple of years, but since I tend to read before bed, I'll still probably end up reading about 50 books by the end of the year; I'm already partly through two different books that were started a couple days ago!! Also, I would like to find books of better quality than the super fluffy things I have been finding and reading recently... "cozy witch" type stories only go so far (but they are enjoyable-enough mind-numbing entertainment that can be good before bed).

2022 Reading goals: 40 books

1 - A Day Like This: A Novel, Kelley McNeil ...... [currently reading]
2 - For the Wolf (The Wilderwood Book 1), Hannah Whitten ....... [currently reading]
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 -
12 -
13 -
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -
18 -
19 -
20 -
21 -
22 -
23 -
24 -
25 -
26 -
27 -
28 -
29 -
30 -
31 -
32 -
33 -
34 -
35 -
36 -
37 -
38 -
39 -
40 -

Riley wrote:

Are you going to try to read The Wheel of Time before watching it?

Oh hell no! I read (most of) the series (as it existed at the time; I'm pretty sure there are more books now!) about twenty years ago. It was one of the absolutely most dull series of books I've ever run across ... just enough action to keep you hooked, and tons and tons of promise with the storyline... but it took about 3 books for the characters to get anything accomplished. It was like a fantasy version of Dragonball Z, in reading form. I am not going to reread it No

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:31 pm
Bo is going to attempt to do a challenge. And you guys can feel free to suggest books or steal the idea completely. It was inspired by the completely uninspiring A-Z book lists that Bo has been seeing going around.

Also, on the request about serial killers, which extends to true crime, Bo mentions no books on Manson or Bundy...someone in the book recommendations group Bo is in recommended Helter Skelter...and Bo just realised that Bo can't spell Manson (origionally had Mason). thunk

Total Books Found: 0/60
Total Books Read: 0/60

3 books on True Crime. (At least one book that covers poisoning/poisoners)

3 books on Serial Killers. (No books on Manson or Bundy. At least one book on a female serial killer or covers multiple female serial killers)

3 books on various world religions. (No Catholic/Christian recommendations)

3 books on war/conflict. (Preferences for any conflicts -historical or modern- that occurred prior to 2000, but will look at anything that catches my eye)

3 books on explorers/adventurers. (Past or present. No Bear Grylls)

3 books on poetry. (Can be a collection of poetry by various authors or a single poet)

3 books on Australian history. (Can be general or specific to a certain person, time or location within Australia)

3 books on the Oceania region's history. (Includes Australia, New Zealand and the tiny island nations surrounding them. Preferably covering the island nations and New Zealand)

3 books on European history. (Again, general history for the whole of Europe or country specific within Europe)

3 books on Asian history. (Again, general history for the whole of Asia or country specific within Asia)

3 books on North American history. (Again, general history for the whole of North America or country specific within North America)

3 books on Central and South American history. (Again, general history for the whole of Central and South America or country specific within Central and South America)

3 books on African history. (Again, general history for the whole of Africa or country specific within Africa)

3 books on women who changed the world. (Preferences for the time they were active being prior to 2000)

3 books on dictators and/or the coup that either installed them or took them out.

3 books on events that changed the course of the world.

3 books on myths and legends. (Can be from any country)

3 books that cover life skills or survival skills. (Think living off the grid type skill sets)

3 books on facts. (Random, uncommon, common, basically stuff that could help in pub trivia)

3 books that changed your view of the world. (Strong preference for NO sports or political autobiographies and NO self help books. Doesn't mean you can't recommend them, but I prefer not to read them)
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 pm
Also adding my list of what I am reading, or at least attempting to read.

1. Lover Revealed by J.R Ward - Reading
2. Mayday by Clive Cussler - Reading
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 pm
The #1 advice for writers is to be an avid reader. I've had an on-again-off-again relationship with reading for too long, so I'm going to start small and aim for one book a month and work on turning reading into an everyday habit again.

Finished Reading
  1. 27 Essential Principles of Story by Daniel Joshua Rubin
  2. Death Of A Salesman by Arthur Miller
  3. Nettles And Balsams by David W. Riggs
  4. Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
  5. The Pillars of The World (Tir Alainn trilogy book 1) by Anne Bishop
  6. Shadows And Light (Tir Alainn trilogy book 2) by Anne Bishop
  7. The House of Gaian (Tir Alainn trilogy book 3) by Anne Bishop
  8. The Giver by Lois Lowry

Currently Reading
  9. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Up Next
  10. The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
  11. The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

I started reading The Art of Fiction by John Gardner. Got to page 11 and had to put it down, because it was a whole lot of "you have to go to university to be a writer and if you don't you're just an ignoramus"

Last edited by Rinkat on Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:40 pm
I have decided I have too many unread books, and some old ones I would love to revisit. I'm starting with Raptor Red, which I recently got in hard back. I loved this book in middle school, and can't wait to dive into it again. I'm also planning on (finally) reading my WTNV book, and re-reading The Books of the Great Alta. A discord I'm in has a book club, and they were reading one of the Gideon the Ninth books, which look interesting too. I also want to revisit the Belgariad and such. So my goals may be small for the year, I am looking forward to it.

Angel Spirit Girl

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:59 pm
Well, Solia is still not back, so I will start a list for this year now.

The Dragon Princess by E.D. Baker

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

The Light of Eidon by Karen Hancock

Dark of the Moon by Tracy Barett

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

Diplomacy of Wolves by Holly Lisle

The Sword of the Land by Noel-Anne Brennan

Currently Reading :

Last edited by Angel Spirit Girl on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:07 am
Hi! I'm new here. This is my first time replying. My goal this year is to read 16 books. I'm currently reading The Robe and It Ends With Us.

1.The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
2.The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:58 am
It's good to see a couple more people joining the thread and reading! Yes

... I really need to update my list... I'm not sure I'm going to make my goal of reading fewer books - lol! XD

Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:41 pm
I just finished reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson. I liked it, but at the same time, I felt like it was lacking something. It's definitely just me feeling like that, though, because I honestly couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was lacking. Maybe it's just that post-book emptiness lol

Anyway, I started reading The Pillars of The World by Anne Bishop, the first book in a trilogy.