2019 Personal Reading List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 4, 5, 6  Next
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 am
I don't think I'm going to make my reading goal this year. I haven't been in the mood to read anything after the last book I finished. I'm slowly re-reading an old favorite; maybe it will jump start my reading desire.

Queen of the Realm
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 am
Yeah... I kinda stalled too. The last book I read was creative and had a good story idea... and even the writing wasn't bad (when it flowed), but it really needs a good editor - there were just too many holes in the story telling and enough technical errors to be annoying and disruptive - Things that probably made sense in the author's own head but don't translate to the reader very well - "wait! we're outside now? I thought we were in a building! How did we get here?" or "What? The antagonist/character is ____? That's not even close to what I was envisioning based on the previous descriptions". So after reading a few pages of the second book in the trilogy (where these editing/writing mistakes are only more pronounced), I gave up.

I'm starting to read Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay now, and it seems promising, but my reading rhythm is off...

Sigh

Good luck Riley. Did you like The Paper Magician?
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 01, 2019 1:52 am
I just finished Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause. I tend to reread that one every couple of years. It's kind of pushed me back into reading again.

I did like The Paper Magician, and will continue with the series at some point. Maybe I'll make that one the next book to read.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 01, 2019 3:02 am
Uni is making me not want to read. Sigh thunk
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
9018/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 01, 2019 5:58 am
I don't think I ever made my reading goal when I was in college.

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am
I think I only ever list about 10 books to read in a year, mostly because I know I'll go through periods where I don't want to read...or function to be frank. And then there is the other side of the coin, where I will read non stop. Shrug
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
9018/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 pm
Although I do like to read at least a little bit every night, I too tend to read in spurts. There are days where I'll read an entire book in a day, weeks where I'll read two or even three books, ... and the occasional month when barely anything gets read at all.

I also have a much more difficult time to hit my reading goal when I'm studying something else... whatever that "something" is. It's probably pretty normal, given the shifting nature of life and priorities.

But hey - the fact that we read pretty much at all ... nevermind fairly regularly... is amazing given some of the recent statistics. Per a quick search:
  • [study done in] 2004, roughly 28 percent of Americans age 15 and older read for pleasure on a given day
  • How many books does the average person read a year? 12

Riley, I flew through the Magician series (one of those spurts where the entire series was read in quick succession)... partly because at the time, I didn't feel like trying to find something else to read XD and it was a fun, easy read. It's a cute series. They're all "about the same" in terms of story line and plot, but different enough to be interesting, and, if I remember correctly, the overarching plot does develop a bit through the series. Have fun. Yes
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Wed May 01, 2019 6:05 pm
I've been the same way. Sometimes I'll read a book a day for a week or so, then nothing gets read for awhile.

That's a saddening statistic. And that's one thing I'm glad my parents encouraged. I have fond memories of scholastic book fairs and catalogs. And my mom okaying every book I wanted to read. I probably wrecked my eyes by reading so much as a kid, since I'm the only one in my family that needs glasses to see on a daily basis.

Good to know! I plan on going to the library after my eye appointment today for the second book.

Queen of the Realm
Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm
Yeah... it seems like I'm always reading, though. What's difficult with lists like this or trying to track books or time spent reading is "accounting for" those more educational books that you read but not necessarily from cover to cover.

Oh... and I was curious... so, more recent stats than what I previously posted, per this article:

The New Yorker wrote:
"19.5 per cent [of the American population read at all] in 2016"

This poster on reading trends, etc., was interesting on a number of levels, though...

Anyway, I'm starting to get distracted from my current book... 80-something % read and ... I dunno... the story just isn't holding my interest the same way? ... I'm getting distracted with other things? ...
Shrug
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 13, 2019 12:43 pm
Hey Blaze, do you want the Illustrated Guide to Viking Martial Arts book for your son? He might be more interested in it than what I am.
9018/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon May 13, 2019 7:25 pm
LOL! Not thrilled with it, huh? What do you propose in terms of $, etc.?
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 14, 2019 12:00 pm
LOL, not that I'm not thrilled with it...it just a bit beyond my interest level and I figure it would be better off going to someone who would utilise it more than myself.

And I'll send you a pm. Yes
9018/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm
Well, thank you for thinking of him. Yes Heart Luffles I asked him if he wanted it and he proceeded to lecture me on the various and effective Viking Martial Arts, so yeah, I think he'd be interested...
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 pm
Ooh, I bet he's going to love it!

Just added two books to my list, and I'm almost finished with another one. Maybe I can catch up to where Goodreads thinks I should be. Very Happy

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 pm
Just realised that I've been reading some trashy ebooks. I say trashy, coz they seem to be "romance"? based. *shrugs* So, I am pretty sure that I have passed my 10 book list lol.
9018/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6