2019 Personal Reading List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 am
Oh, wow, I am terrible at updating my reading list. XD

Anywho, new year, new list, so here's mine so far. :3

1. Stephen King/Owen King: Sleeping Beauties - I actually bought a *physical copy* of this book last year and didn't read it yet. XD *refers to the fact that I am primarily a Kindle user, as I don't have space in my rental to keep all the books I want to read*

2. George R.R. Martin: Fire and Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones (A Targaryen History) - again, actually got a physical copy of this because of all the pretty illustrations. XD

3. Stephen King: Finders Keepers - in the process of reading

4. George R.R. Martin: Nightflyers and Other Stories - next on the reading list.

5. Martin Popoff: Queen: Album by Album - in the process of reading

6. Mario Vargas Llosa: The Neighbourhood - on hold at library, waiting to arrive

7. Hiro Arikawa - The Travelling Cat Chronicles - read. What a beautiful book! Made me cry a couple of times. But still, a simply beautiful story.

8. Sherry D. Ficklin: Queen of Somedays (random free book from Amazon - read, it's part of a series but not interesting enough for me to want to buy the rest of the series)

9. Jennifer Martucci/Christopher Martucci - Planet Urth Series (Books 1-3) - I've finished this. Meh.

... aaaand I seem to be on a Stephen King/George R.R. Martin binge at the start of this year. XD

Last edited by LillieRose on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 am; edited 5 times in total
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 am
Bo got a couple of books for Christmas. Honestly, what else were my friends going to give me? Laughing

We did our exchanges of presents...later than usual, mostly due to health issues of both friend's parents, and then me being too sore to travel to the birthday party of the oldest child. But yesterday, after some cider was had, I was given Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas...pretty sure I may already have this book, but haven't checked my bookshelf, but the copy I was given is a REALLY NICE hardcover, so definitely keeping that book, and having looked up the title, so far seven books in that series. And the other book I received was The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and this is a book that I've picked up and put down several times over the years, so I am very happy to have it. Really nice feeling cover too.

I have a book I want to read again, but for some unknown reason, no longer have, is The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. Really good book if you come across it. Yes
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8800/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm
Books are my favourite things to get as a gift. :3

I love gifting books to other people as well. There is something very satisfying in finding just the right book for the right person. :3

I've read the Throne of Glass series. The first three parts are pretty good but then a major shift happened and I felt as if I was not reading about the same characters anymore. But it's certainly an interesting read.

The Alchemist is a great books as well. Classic. Worth a read.

*makes note of Bo's recommendation*

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm
My friends know that books are 100% a win for me. I got annoyed with my friend because I figured that she would already have the latest Matthew Riley book and had it signed because he came to our local store. Nope. She doesn't have it and I could have gotten it for her and gotten it signed too! Pain in my left butt cheek. XD
Rayven: *gets hit in the face with some underwear* Wow Bo sure likes to get naked! XD
8800/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:22 pm
Aww. Well, at least you had good intentions of actually getting it for her. :3

I only own two signed books. One is by the physicist Michio Kaku, who had a lecture here last year, so I got to meet him and have him sign the book.

The other is by Neil Gaiman, who published a small book of essays together with Chris Riddell, the illustrator. A limited amount of signed copies were available through Premiere Collectibles, so I got on the band wagon early and ordered one, because I love Neil Gaiman. XD

On another note, I just ordered two books from Book Depository for my band mate's daughter.

If anybody is interested on a rather witty take on the life of classical composers, I highly recommend these two books:

Steven Isserlis: Why Beethoven threw the stew?
Steven Isserlis: Why Handel waggled his wig?

They are written by a renowned cellist, whose music teacher used to tell him anecdotes about the lives of classical composers, which in turn inspired him to write these books.

I read these myself and have to say I rather enjoyed them. The humour is great. :3

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:23 pm
Book acquired from the uni library. Now to figure out when Bo can read it. XD
8800/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm
Neat. What book did you get? :3

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 pm
Past Mortem by Ben Elton, it's already on my reading list. Laughing

Ordered it through my uni, from another campus location...and turns out it is from a DIFFERENT university completely. Confused

I'll probably start it on Friday. Today I am doing nothing in the sense that I am going to my sister's place with our niece and doing...something yet to be determined. Laughing And then uni again tomorrow. Parents went north, so it is just myself, brother and his youngest here, so asked my brother if he can drop me off at the station again in the morning. It saves me getting up at 5am to catch a bus to make the train I typically get of a morning for uni. Sigh
8800/10000
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:12 am
LOL, all is well that ends well. XD

That's quite a trip to take to the uni. Public transportation can't be pleasant during this heatwave that you are having.

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 am
I typically get up at 6:30am, sometimes 6am, depending on how I slept the night before, and leave around 7am or just after to catch either the 7:14am or 7:30am train. Gets me in around 8:30am or earlier and that way I make it for my 9am start...which is technically 5 minutes early because the clock in the lecture theater is 5 minutes fast. Confused

But if I had to catch the bus to the station, because of how often the bus runs, 5am-5:30am wake up and get ready and then out the door by 6:20am to catch the 6:34am bus (and that is IF it is running on time) to get to the station by 6:46am (again, IF the bus is running on time), but at least then I can catch the slightly earlier 7am train.

I really plan out my trips for the day. XD I have at least 2-3 trains lined up in the morning and the same amount in the afternoon/evening, depending on what time of day I get to leave. Same with the buses to and from uni. XD

Edit: The trains are typically fine, as long as the air con is working. The buses can be a bit hit and miss with the air con in the heat. Got on one bus that had the air con running...but it was running hot. Almost got off that bus to catch another bus, but ended up staying on it and got a very cold drink for the trip home.
8800/10000
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Killing Commendatore: A novel, Haruki Murakami... interesting book... Yes
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:16 am
Murakami is an interesting author. XD

I have Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage on my reading list.

bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:03 am
I should be reading! I've had from Wednesday afternoon to pick up a book, until tomorrow at least...and I haven't done it! I guess I am just waiting to find out if I need to get yet ANOTHER damned textbook for uni. Rolling Eyes
8800/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 am
I haven't been reading as much lately. But Amazon Kindle keeps sending me deal alerts on my phone. So I keep buying ebooks but not reading them. :/

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 am
On Friday, I am going to start Past Mortem. I should finish it in a day or two and then I can focus on getting my Japanese studying on. Laughing

I can finish the Tintin books in a short amount of time, one of the few things that I can and do speed read. Yes
8800/10000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to Forum -> Entertainment All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5