2016 Reading List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]

Are you going to read this year?
Yes! Dozens of books!
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Maybe one or two books.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Nope.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Read? What's this reading you speak of?
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:09 am
I'm slowly working my way through Gardens of the Moon, and I think I've decide that I don't really like it. After a couple hundred pages into the book, I had to stop and spend way too much time in the glossary at the back of the book. I find his world too confusing. If I feel like I have to take notes while reading something for pleasure, then it becomes too much work for my liking.

I'm not sure if I want to continue reading it at this time. I might give myself permission to stop at this point, and try again later.

Has anyone here read it? I'm I just weird? XD
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:12 pm
I have to say I didn't read the book you mentioned but I do believe it's okay to stop reading something if it doesn't grasp you. Especially if you are reading for enjoyment and entertainment, not for a school assignment.

I had a professor at uni who taught us Victorian lit on my first year and then early modern lit on my second year, also James Joyce's works on my masters course. I am just giving you a bit of context here, he spent his entire life buried in classics and he advised us that if we found that we couldn't cope with a book, we have to let it go. If the book doesn't read well, if we are finding it difficult to concentrate, we should just close it and put it away.

You have every right to stop, let it sit and then go back to it one day, if you feel like it. :3

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:21 am
That's some good teaching you don't always hear from professors ^^ I think I'll attempt to continue with it; it has gotten interesting, and I see the chess pieces being moved across the board XD I'm at a point were I know things, and I have questions, and I want to know what happens ^^ But if the book continues to be a struggle, then back to the shelf it goes. I don't like it when leisure turns to work Yes
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 pm
I know, right? He was definitely one of the students' favourites. :3

Oh cool, I am glad you got into the book, sometimes you do need to trudge through the first 100 pages and just see where it takes you.

Btw, thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely check it out. :3

I better start working on my reading list for the upcoming year, for now, I have a few books lined up that I hope to read in the upcoming months.

1. Susanna Clark - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
2. Angela Carter - Nights at the circus
3. Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
4. Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus
5. Valmore Daniels - The Interstellar Age trilogy

Some of these are series, so that's it for now.

Please let me know if you have read any of them, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Dedicated Citizen
Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:39 pm
I've read [i]Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I really enjoyed it; the sequel is on my to-read list ^^
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:17 pm
Well, I just watched the movie yesterday. XD

Judging by the movie, the books will be amazing, can't wait to get my hands on it. I think I will swallow it in one sitting. XD

Dedicated Citizen
Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:25 pm
I've heard mixed views about the movie. I know I'll eventually see it ^^
LillieRose

Knight of Zantarni
Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:39 pm
I didn't even pay attention to the reviews, I just went ahead and watched it, even though I didn't read the books yet.

This is actually the first time I watched a film and didn't read the book. XD

I quite liked the film. :3

Dedicated Citizen
Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 am
The book I literally just finished is one of the few that actually had me crying. And now begins the long wait to find out what happens in the next book. Sigh
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3