2014 Reading List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 2, 3, 4  Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19]
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:10 pm
-liz-, you've been added to the list of people tracking their book reading progress in the first post - good luck with your goal! :3

I've added a couple more completed books to my list... now to find something else to read (as if that is going to be a problem! XD)

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 pm
Daraku ***** tenshi's
reading list for 2014. My goal is to read 20 books this year. If this year goes the way I want I hope I can get to read around 50 books. After every book I will give my opinion if it's a real attention grabber.

1) The Black Pearl by Scott O'Dell
(It's an interesting read. Beware of Manta Diablo!)

2) The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
(I found this book to be very insightful and I really loved how Hester was described as an empowered women. You go girl wear that scarlet letter with pride!)

3) Midnight for Charlie Bone By Jenny Nimmo
(Just finished and I loved it!)

4. Charlie Bone and The Time Twister By Jenny Nimmo
(currently reading:I can say that so far I am hooked on this book and am excited to share that it's a series.)

Last edited by Daraku Shita tenshi on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
bohemian

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 am
I just updated my list. I've found I've started to re-read a series I read last year. Mainly because I found myself thinking of the characters and figured, while they are on my mind, I'll read their stories again.

I tried reading J.K Rowling's Casual Vacancy but I got bored within the first 100 pages. I'll be returning to Dracula once my head isn't so foggy.
Riley: Bo, the Goat Whisperer. XD
Blaze: Bo, you're just chaotic... Razz Heart
9695/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:15 pm
I am really really happy that I actually have time to read for pleasure this semester! This book is going slow but not from lack of interest - I should have another one finished soon ^^
Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 am
I'll be keeping a list here as well.

1. The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender - 4/5.
Would recommend to YA. Quick read, took me about 2 hours. About the Holocaust but not as detailed or gruesome as most Holocaust books I've read.

2. Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank - 5/5.
Haven't finished. Working on reading one story at a time. They seem short, a few only being a page. It's a furthur glimpse into Anne Frank's mind, reading her short stories instead of her diary. (Though I really want to read that again too.)

3. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Youzafzai.
Currently reading.

Knight of Zantarni
Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:03 am
Updated my list to add a couple books. Finished reading A Game of Thrones, now onto A Clash of Kings. :3
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 05, 2014 6:06 am
I keep telling myself that I should read the Fault in our stars but I keep getting side tracked.

I decided I'm going to read "The Once and Future King." Technically it is a bunch of small books put into one. Not sure if I should list them as separate as I finish them or all as one.

Updated my list with two books.

Queen of the Realm
Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 pm
Phaena, you've been added to the list on the first post. Welcome! :3 Yes

It's really nice to see continued interest in this thread ... and in reading in general! It seems that few people actually read any more... and that makes me sad, so it's nice to see that some people actually do still read!

I've updated my personal list with a few books. The Legend series by Marie Lu really slowed down for me in the middle for some reason, but it wasn't a bad storyline, all in all. I am, however, happy to go on to something else now, and a complete change of literary pace.

bohemian wrote:
I tried reading J.K Rowling's Casual Vacancy but I got bored within the first 100 pages...

I have heard that this is ...errrm... not her most engaging writing. It must be difficult, though, to continue writing with the ghost of something as outrageously popular as HP haunting her. She has a couple of other, non-HP, books out or in the works now, doesn't she? And I saw/read/heard that she IS revising the HP series after all...? Anyone know?

Riley wrote:
I am really really happy that I actually have time to read for pleasure this semester! This book is going slow but not from lack of interest - I should have another one finished soon ^^

Yay for reading for pleasure! I find that I have to read -at least a little bit- for pleasure fairly often ... just to keep perspective and to give myself a "break" from whatever else is going on iRL.

Celestrya wrote:
Finished reading A Game of Thrones, now onto A Clash of Kings. :3

... couldn't get through A Game of Thrones. I got about halfway through when I decided to just close the book. I started reading it before the series came out (I still haven't seen the series, btw), and I was just far too busy/distracted with far too many other things at the time to keep up with all the characters and plot twists that started from page 1! Zoned It was a good, intriguing story, though, and I'll probably try reading it again... when I am more likely to be able to read regularly, without long absences from the storyline.

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 05, 2014 3:25 pm
Yeah, she has two books out under another name. I think they are crime themed books. Not sure about her revising the HP books. I know she is working on the screenplay for the...can't think of it. It's HP themed but I think 100 years before Harry was a twinkle in his father's eye. But yeah, her Causal Vacancy didn't impress me as an adult. I think she should just stick to writing kid's books tbh. >.>
9695/10000
WishingMoon

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 05, 2014 5:36 pm
There is no date on it but JK has been continually working on an encyclopedia for Harry Potter.

Knight of Zantarni
Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 pm
So instead of finishing Clash of Kings, I started and finished Kristin Britain's Mirror Sight. I've been waiting three years for it, so I just had to. XD

I've done the same thing, Blaze. I'll probably start reading the second book again. Hopefully I won't be too lost with all that has happened so far.
Blazestorm

Queen of the Realm
Mon May 12, 2014 6:18 pm
I hadn't heard about the HP Encyclopedia, Moon... but that she was working on some kind of prequel to the HP series...? I think it had to do with the rise of Voldemort and that time-period. Maybe?
Shrug

I did hear about the other couple of books Rowling published under a pseudonym, though, Bo... and I haven't had any interest in finding them or reading them for whatever reason. Maybe one day. Have you read them?

Nice to know it wasn't just me, Celestrya. I just had too many RL things going on at the time that really needed my attention for me to focus on the book, the characters, the plot, the details...

Now, I'm (apparently) reading 3-4 books at once... The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, T'ai Chi Ch'uan & Meditation by Da Liu, and The Simulcacra by Philip K **** ... in addition to a few other not-quite-novel things!

Dedicated Citizen
Mon May 12, 2014 6:30 pm
Well the movie that is coming out is set in...I believe the 1930's or around that time.

She also auctioned off a prequel involving the marauders(sp) a few years ago.

Dedicated Citizen
Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm
After The Casual Vacancy, I don't think I'll buy her other books written under another name. If I get a chance and remember to look up the titles I might get them out of the library. I'll save money then. Razz

I might set money aside to get the 3 or 4 books she wrote that were mentioned in HP series either as textbooks or books in general. I can't remember what they are called though. It is almost midnight here and I have book 3 next to me atm. Any time my hand starts to hurt or I get bored with what I am doing on my laptop, I pick it up and read a chapter. I'm not eager to read much but at least this way I am reading.
9695/10000
Riley

Dedicated Citizen
Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:00 pm
Added two more to my list. Technically I read a third book, but it was a re-read so I did not count it :3
Captured was an awful book. I'm not sure why I continued reading it.../shrug. Sora's Quest was much much better XD
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to Forum -> Entertainment [Nov.'19] All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, , 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4